• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shaking hands

OldCurlyWolf

I would think that it all would depend on the who, why and when.

If total Stranger just walk up to me on the street and want to shake my hand no thank you.

If some one didn't look right no thank you.

If I had a bad feeling no thank you.

If there is not a good reason to shake hands no thank you.

It would be a good way along with others to get up close and personal to instigate an attack.

But there are times and places I would gladly shake a friendly hand.

:cool:

Agreed.

Also I have this thing about others laying a hand on me. I don't like it. I tolerate it from family and friends.

HPmatt

I've had the same thing, even two off duty LEO's came up and shook my hand. It's awesome when others recognize a right and appreciate someone exercising it.

As one shook your hand did the other ask you for your ID?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
Obama is left-handed = Obama is evil?
Roughly 10% of the general population is left-handed. Three of the last seven presidents were left-handed and six out of the last 12. Statistically (since such things were noted at least) it's a little more than 15%.

seems to lend evidence that lefties are evil .. higher % in politics ...

wimwag

I actually wipe with my right hand. My religion has nothing to do with what hand I use.

Fallschirjmäger

Anecdotal incident.....

We had a guy at a place where I worked who was an (-:|3 as well as being an Albanian Muslim. One day he objected because I was handing him a tool with my left hand and did the usual 'we're civilized, we use our left hands to wipe our butts' speech. I did what I thought was the proper thing and apologized, offering him my right hand to shake.

.... and then I explained how I, as a left handed person, wiped with my right and held his gaze as long as I could.:uhoh:
And every time thereafter I had him working for me, I always made sure to greet Everyone on the team with a handshake... while watching everyone watch him decline. He didn't last long.

Last edited:

wimwag

Anecdotal incident.....

We had a guy at a place where I worked who was an (-:|3 as well as being an Albanian Muslim. One day he objected because I was handing him a tool with my left hand and did the usual 'we're civilized, we use our left hands to wipe our butts' speech. I did what I thought was the proper thing and apologized, offering him my right hand to shake.

.... and then I explained how I, as a left handed person, wiped with my right and held his gaze as long as I could.:uhoh:
And every time thereafter I had him working for me, I always made sure to greet Everyone on the team with a handshake... while watching everyone watch him decline. He didn't last long.

bwahahahaha that's cruel!

I'm left handed too. Apparently I'm artistic and die 12 years before right handed people. I also always have pencil lead on the side of my hand.

Coincidentally, I never get lead on my hand while writing in Japanese which I haven't done since 2004. It impresses chicks. Seriously.

DaveT319

In a way... I don't normally shake the hands of strangers, unless we're being introduced or are in some other way have reason to be interacting. But random people on the street? No. So I see no danger or cause for concern.

Last edited:

OC for ME

SHAKING HANDS

Gentlemen always shake hands when they are introduced to each other. Ladies rarely do so with gentlemen who are introduced to them; but they usually shake hands with other ladies, if they are standing near together. All people who know each other, unless merely passing by, shake hands when they meet.

A gentleman on the street never shakes hands with a lady without first removing his right glove. But at the opera, or at a ball, or if he is usher at a wedding, he keeps his glove on.

PERSONALITY OF A HANDSHAKE

A handshake often creates a feeling of liking or of irritation between two strangers. Who does not dislike a “boneless” hand extended as though it were a spray of sea-weed, or a miniature boiled pudding? It is equally annoying to have one’s hand clutched aloft in grotesque affectation and shaken violently sideways, as though it were being used to clean a spot out of the atmosphere. What woman does not wince at the viselike grasp that cuts her rings into her flesh and temporarily paralyzes every finger?

The proper handshake is made briefly; but there should be a feeling of strength and warmth in the clasp, and, as in bowing, one should at the same time look into the countenance of the person whose hand one takes. In giving her hand to a foreigner, a married woman always relaxes her arm and fingers, as it is customary for him to lift her hand to his lips. But by a relaxed hand is not meant a wet rag; a hand should have life even though it be passive. A woman should always allow a man who is only an acquaintance to shake her hand; she should never shake his. To a very old friend she gives a much firmer clasp, but he shakes her hand more than she shakes his. Younger women usually shake the hand of the older; or they both merely clasp hands, give them a dropping movement rather than a shake, and let go.

http://www.bartleby.com/95/3.html
Barbarians!!! All of you!!!

The gentle lady from Wyoming is a breath of much needed refinement in an otherwise barbaric society. She, as is indicated in her post, is an educated women, of a refined and gentle nature.

DaveT319

Again, if I'm being introduced to someone, I'll shake their hand. Presumably I'm being introduced by someone I know/trust, so it's probably safe to assume there's no threat.

HPmatt

DaveT - this is my old buddy I'd like to introduce you to - we wuz cellmates for a bit back in SingSing.....
put'er there pardoner.....

DaveT319

If I'm friends with someone who had a cellmate at SingSing, I probably wouldn't have an issue shaking their hand.