• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate Committee on Agriculture, Rural Affairs & Homeland Security

stealthyeliminator

I'm sorry I did not post about this meeting sooner. I could have posted the live feed. [strike]Testimony is actually still going currently at (no longer live) if you catch it early enough.[/strike]

Here is a recording of CJ Grisham's testimony. CJ was invited by the committee to give testimony at this committee meeting. This committee meeting was called specifically to discuss open carry and took place today, April 7th, 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuBijyNOF54

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
He should have answered "No" when asked if the gov't can curtail the RKBA.

If he meant something different, he should have expounded upon it ...

I would have answered no.

If you are a freeman, you have all the rights of being one, including RKBA...all freemen, no exceptions.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

You didn't answer the question, but I gather that you meant Mr. Grisham. To call Mr. Grisham an anti, you are way off base. He is not one to play the political game, but hell, he's in a senate committee meeting, you should expect him to act cordially. I do not feel as though he faltered or compromised. We don't want to simply gripe at our legislators, we want to convince them to pass better laws and repeal our bad ones. You aren't going to do that by being unnecessarily abrasive. Don't get me wrong, I don't see "the system" as "the way" to make things better, I'm a libertarian anarchist, but if I can use it as a tool to make the world a better place (and avoid some bloodshed in doing so) then yes I will do so.

There was a lot of powerful testimony during this hearing. I believe the entire thing will be available online at some point so when that is the case I will try to get a link posted ASAP. It is several hours worth of testimony but like I said, there is a lot of good stuff. It was very encouraging the ratio of anti-oc to pro-oc testimony.

HPmatt

I thought his testimony was very good. Don't expect CJ to be a constitutional scholar and be able to completely defend 2A and its history as it relates to CC vs OC in Texas history, but in area he is pushing - can only legally OC rifles & shotguns in Texas right now - he's compelling. Would have been helpful to cite how OC is a non-issue in many of the other states, how law enforcement is trained about what is proper and not regarding OC and 2A once OC is approved, and perhaps talked more about the relatively painless rollout of OC that Oklahoma has experienced.

I looked up the bios on Senators Chmn Estes #30 Wichita Falls, SubChmn Uresti #19 San Antonio, Sen Hegar #18 Katy, Sen Hinojosa #20 McAllen and Sen Schwertner #5 from Georgetown. They all look like very solid guys. I plan to call them and discuss their thoughts on OC legislation, and who are they working with in the Texas House.

stealthyeliminator

Do keep in mind that he was on a timer and didn't get through his entire testimony. There were quite a few other testimonies (several hours worth) though, which covered quite a bit of additional perspective and facts and information.

The hearing, which covered all of what is below, was 8 hours long. I will try to find some highlights/testimonies that I really liked and post the times in the video so that you guys can skip to them.

http://tlcsenate.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?clip_id=8421

"The Committee will take up the following Interim Charges:

Monitor the state's efforts to secure the border, including the state's increased investment in border security during the 83rd legislative session. Examine the most effective methods to address the evolving threats with securing the border and evaluate policies that deter illegal immigration and assist in border security efforts, including prohibiting sanctuary cities and requiring electronic verification of worker status. Make recommendations on the most effective policy options to prevent and stop illegal entry into Texas at the border and to deter transnational and drug-related violence and crime. Examine the implementation and effectiveness of the recent Department of Public Safety surge operation on the border and make recommendations on options for the improvement and expansion of future surge operations.

Study the current practice of reporting crime statistics in Texas, including border security crime statistics. Examine the different indices currently utilized and identify potential barriers regarding statewide adoption of a more comprehensive system. Determine whether current crime statistic reporting accurately measures all crime and whether it adequately measures crimes related to illegal border activities. Make recommendations on how to best take advantage of the available crime data maintained by modern law enforcement record systems and recommend any additional crime data that would improve law enforcement and border security efforts.

Study and make recommendations on removing barriers to Second Amendment Rights, including but not limited to open carry legislation. Consider other state laws related to open carry.

Testimony will be limited to three minutes."

stealthyeliminator

Hillary Rand of Moms Demand Action - Incorrect data and facts as well as a lack of logic to connect them with conclusions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZj14NjMVv8
Check out 3:24 for lulz - Hillary repeats claim of intimidation by OCT members and the entire room erupts in laughter. Notice that even Hillary herself begins to laugh.

Essentially what MDA is wanting is increase of background checks - which is borderline off topic - and also for the legislature to allow counties and/or municipalities to regulate carry in direct violation of the Constitution of Texas.
----------------------------------------------
Chief of Police of Milano, Texas testifies in favor of open carry at 7:46 (hour 7, minute 46 - hint, maximize video window and drag the slider instead of trying to guess-and-click)
http://tlcsenate.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?clip_id=8421

Last edited: