• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Ferry Tale 3 ..They can't do that, but they did

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Very soon, maybe tomorrow, we'll start the Ferry Tale 3.
This is not a brandishing case, but in some ways more disturbing.

There are still a few loose ends I need to make sure are tied up but before I start, there is one aspect of this case that won't be discussed. More on that later but because of circumstances, I pointedly told the person involved NOT to tell me anything about that part and rather than argue about it later here....I'll just ignore that part of the discussion. Stay tuned for Grapeshot, Skidmark or myself to open the curtain. :uhoh:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Waiting with worms on my tongue (baited breath)

"Or shall I bend low and in a bondman’s key with bated breath and whispering humbleness say this: 'Fair sir, you spet on me on Wednesday last; you spurned me such a day; another time you called me "dog" — and for these courtesies I’ll lend you thus much moneys?'"

Like abate, as in "to hold back".

ETA: :)

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice I, 3 Shylock Line 451

Shakespeare used bated 8 times, twice in 'Merchant'.

The second one in "Merchant" isn't followed by breath. What about the others?

I wonder if that was a common phrase at the time or if, like so many others, the happy marriage of the words "bated" and "breath" is ultimately of Shakespearean origin.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Wail (or is it whale?) all you want, but if you are going to throw thoughts around you need to provide citations that back up your perorations. Try this for starters: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bated-breath.html .

But then, there are the apologists who see the madness of mob rule as a convenient excuse to lower standards: h ttp://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/bated

As for those of you with fishy breath on your minds, you are directed to: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/baited-versus-bated

I'm getting a large tub of popcorn - I'll need plenty for the hashing out of the spelling, and then some left over for the real festivities.

stay safe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Wail (or is it whale?) all you want, but if you are going to throw thoughts around you need to provide citations that back up your perorations. Try this for starters: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bated-breath.html .

But then, there are the apologists who see the madness of mob rule as a convenient excuse to lower standards: h ttp://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/bated

As for those of you with fishy breath on your minds, you are directed to: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/baited-versus-bated

I'm getting a large tub of popcorn - I'll need plenty for the hashing out of the spelling, and then some left over for the real festivities.

stay safe.

:)

In one of the best selling books of all time, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (whose publisher could surely have afforded the services of a proof-reader), we have:

"The whole common room listened with baited breath."

Well, there you have it: all the proof one could want that J.K. Rowling is not, in fact, a serious writer. :lol:

(How's that for a citation?! :p)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ugh, another plastic gun! :cry:

What kind of example are we setting for our children??:uhoh:

:rolleyes:
That good people can and do win!
Hope that he saves the box in which it was returned - it is a trophy of sorts. :banana:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That good people can and do win!
Hope that he saves the box in which it was returned - it is a trophy of sorts. :banana:

You mean this box? :banana:

for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If only there was a way to embed a song along with a photo... maybe hallelujah or the 1812 overture?:D

This is great news.:)

I probably will later!

Short version and we will be filling in with details later.

A couple of years ago, one of our members was at his fathers apartment in Richmond.
He went outside to smoke a cigarette and was open carrying that gun.
An off duty Richmond LEO working security stopped and a disagreement about many things including if he lived there occurred.
She called for backup and more abusive officers arrived.

Even though he had broken no laws and was not charged with anything, they took his gun.

He spoke to me, Grapeshot and Skidmark, then on our advice retained Daniel Hawes, Esquire.

Mr. Hawes sued everyone....the officers, the ex police chief, the city and the apartment complex.

It took this long for things to come to a head.

I will post public records and my observations since Grapeshot was responsible for service of the papers and I tagged along:lol:

BUT....the last PUBLIC RECORD I saw was a settlement order signed by the judge.

Neither Mr. Hawes or The OC'er would comment so I'm certain there was a confidentiality clause in the settlement agreement. That's my opinion and personal observation of other things:uhoh:

Mr. Hawes gave the OC'er his gun back last night.

Details later

Last edited: