• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to Clark County Parks and Park Police

z28power

Yes, you can get standing without being arrested. The way to do that is to get them, in writing, to tell you that you will be arrested. I've tried that route and they won't commit in writing.

I don't think being "asked to leave" the park would get you status to go after illegal firearms ordinances and get them overturned. It might work, but I have my doubts.

All I'm saying is go in with eyes wide open.

TBG

This is why I asked in my letter what would happen if I were peacefully carrying in the park.

I haven't sent this letter off yet, FYI. I am awaiting response from NLV Mayor Lee regarding S.B. 92, per your helpful recommendation as it's founder

Last edited:

mp06011999

Do these issues need to be addressed? Yes they do. Keep in mind though that you cannot proceed with any kind of action against illegal ordinances or rules unless you have standing. That means you have to be arrested for the supposed violation. The fact that one is a citizen and that these ordinances are on the books does not give you standing.

Before taking them on, make sure all your ducks are in a row. By that I mean you have the resources to take them on and are willing to pay a personal price for your effort.

Clark County has made it clear that they don't care what state law is, they are going to do what they want and they will spend whatever it takes to defend their position. Get out your checkbook.

In order to take them on you need deep pockets behind you. Unfortunately I have been unable to get any of the major firearms rights organizations to back me in my efforts against the City of Henderson and the county. There was some hope I was going to get help but that faded away. Unfortunately it boils down to how much national press the big organizations can get out of the effort.

My point is not to discourage but to simply make sure that anyone taking this on goes in with eyes wide open. I am willing to share whatever I have learned by my experience and help where I can.

TBG

It saddens me that none of the people or organizations "with means" that claim to defend our rights will get involved. It will probably be the reason I do not renew my NRA membership.

ed2276

I really don't want to throw any more "crap" in here, but isn't the CC Park's "position" similar to the LVMPD's when it comes to OC on "their" property... although they acknowledge the NRS restricting firearm possession specifies CC, they are just operating within the SPIRIT of the statute? Their interpretation of the statue "allows" them to restrict ALL firearms, whether CC or OC, because the statute's intent (from their perspective) was to do just that. They will fight, tooth and nail, to continue their "SPIRITUAL" interpretation of the statute and it WILL take lots of money to challenge them and their slick-suited attorneys... money and time... from my experience in other venues... lots of time... years... which means lots more money.

Of course, if they were sued in state or federal court they would lose. Statutes dealing with constitutional rights, such as keeping and bearing firearms, are interpreted by strict construction, not by the "spirit" of the law.

usmcmustang

Of course, if they were sued in state or federal court they would lose. Statutes dealing with constitutional rights, such as keeping and bearing firearms, are interpreted by strict construction, not by the "spirit" of the law.

So YOU say. I'm not convinced since all "rights" and "laws" are merely a lawyer's or group of lawyers' (state and federal courts) opinion(s). There's no lengths to which lawyers will go to find ways to "judge" one way or the other. Thinking otherwise places too much trust in our judicial system... trust that is most always betrayed. And, if you are correct in your take on the lawsuit aspect of this situation, why haven't the "gun rights" organizations with the big bucks stepped up here to do battle?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It saddens me that none of the people or organizations "with means" that claim to defend our rights will get involved. It will probably be the reason I do not renew my NRA membership.

Nor the Nevada Firearms Coalition. I kept my promise and joined when they fired that completely self-serving idiot wannabe politician Bob Erwin.

I received no info from them for this entire past year, despite all the fronts the rest of us seem to be waging on our own. But they had my email address correct because I got my renewal notice recently. They can eat the static they fed me.

Vegassteve

Nor the Nevada Firearms Coalition. I kept my promise and joined when they fired that completely self-serving idiot wannabe politician Bob Erwin.

I received no info from them for this entire past year, despite all the fronts the rest of us seem to be waging on our own. But they had my email address correct because I got my renewal notice recently. They can eat the static they fed me.

Exactly. And for one case where one of our members The Big Guy did all the work, they the NVFAC took all the credit. I am still putting together my info for the thread on that big lie they told.

z28power

Spoke with John Lee on the phone about his SB 92....

So, I talked to the Mayor of NLV on the phone today -- he called me at home shortly after I got home from work. I was genuinely pleased and surprised to get a direct interaction with him simply by firing off an email on his website about the issue. ;):D

We had a short discussion about the intent of S.B. 92 that he wrote and presented during the 74th session, and he directed me to another legislator, Don Turner, that helped co-write and push the bill through. Incidentally he is president of the NFAC - which from the stories I've read here left me slightly despondent. HOWEVER, I am remaining optimistic, as so far I have gotten good info and experiences in gathering all the information on this matter so far. Until I am proven otherwise I will assume Don is a stand-up guy - we are all on the same side here, after all! I have his phone number and will keep you updated on what I find out regarding intent of the bill in regards to the County Park preemption issue/claim. :)

Last edited:

usmcmustang

So, I talked to the Mayor of NLV on the phone today -- he called me at home shortly after I got home from work. I was genuinely pleased and surprised to get a direct interaction with him simply by firing off an email on his website about the issue. ;):D

We had a short discussion about the intent of S.B. 92 that he wrote and presented during the 74th session, and he directed me to another legislator, Don Turner, that helped co-write and push the bill through. Incidentally he is president of the NFAC - which from the stories I've read here left me slightly despondent. HOWEVER, I am remaining optimistic, as so far I have gotten good info and experiences in gathering all the information on this matter so far. Until I am proven otherwise I will assume Don is a stand-up guy - we are all on the same side here, after all! I have his phone number and will keep you updated on what I find out regarding intent of the bill in regards to the County Park preemption issue/claim. :)

Don't know if you've seen/read any of this... but it might "refresh" Senator (now Mayor) Lee's and others memories...

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/74th/Minutes/Senate/GA/Final/548.pdf

Looks like then Senator Lee may have been the junior member on the committee; and Don Turner was definitely NOT "another legislator." Don Turner was just someone "in attendance," evidently representing the "Clark County Shooting Park, Department of Parks and Recreation, Clark County."

Last edited:

z28power

Don't know if you've seen/read any of this... but it might "refresh" Senator (now Mayor) Lee's and others memories...

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/74th/Minutes/Senate/GA/Final/548.pdf

Looks like then Senator Lee may have been the junior member on the committee; and Don Turner was definitely NOT "another legislator." Don Turner was just someone "in attendance," evidently representing the "Clark County Shooting Park, Department of Parks and Recreation, Clark County."

Mistyped this earlier in my haste. He never referred to Don Turner as a legislator but mentioned he helped get the bill pushed through. As for the minutes, I actually posted those in my original post, I believe. I have read them in their entirety, but did not recall Don Tuner as the CCSP representative. Thanks! :) Either way, I'll see what he has to say as well.

ETA: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Park-Police&p=2051239&viewfull=1#post2051239 Post 16 I did put the minutes in there as well but did not recall the reference to Don Turner there -- Cheers!

Last edited:

z28power

I also don't see anywhere a reference to who is Junior or Senior on the bill itself, just the members of the committee - did I miss that too?

Vegassteve

It will be interesting to see what turner has to say. I wouldnt give that weasel the time of day. In the past he has cared less about helping any of us on these issues. And in fact took credit for all the work the BigGuy did in Henderson in the nvfac newsletter last month. That should tell you what kind of upstanding citizen he is.

usmcmustang

I also don't see anywhere a reference to who is Junior or Senior on the bill itself, just the members of the committee - did I miss that too?

I assumed by the listing of the senators in the minutes that since he appeared LAST on the list, he was the junior senator. That may not be the case, but when it comes to listing you know those legislators want to be "recognized" in the "pecking order. LOL

z28power

I assumed by the listing of the senators in the minutes that since he appeared LAST on the list, he was the junior senator. That may not be the case, but when it comes to listing you know those legislators want to be "recognized" in the "pecking order. LOL

He was likely a junior senator on that committee, which is what is listed at the top of the bill, I don't see any ownership of who wrote or sponsored the bill in any pecking order on any paperwork, though. I would LIKE to find that out as well though.

As for Turner, this seems to be the impression I get here. Maybe he will have more motivation now that NVFAC has formed a PAC. Did anybody see that? Back in Feb or this year they formed one and have a website for it. http://www.nvfacpac.org/2014/03/05/nv-second-amendment-alert-help-requested/

We will see what comes of it. Right now it seems like all they want is money, I don't see much action occurring at this point.