Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action Alert! Bills About to Move.

Action Alert! Bills About to Move.

If you are a gun owner or plan to be one, it's very important to contact your legislators regarding 8 bills up for reading or beyond.

AZCDLfred has simplified the matter of contacting your representative to a point where there is really no excuse for not doing so. We are fortunate that we have things going pretty much our way here in AZ, but I can assure you that it didn't happen by accident. People like Fred work hard to see that a fire is kept under the bottoms of the legislators. Lets give him some help. You won't believe how easy it is. Put in your name and address and the letter is already written and ready to send. And ... you may win a great prize.

http://cqrcengage.com/azcdl/issues

Tks Fred.
    Lynn McFadden aka old uncle ho

Quote Originally Posted by Old Uncle Ho View Post
    If you are a gun owner or plan to be one, it's very important to contact your legislators regarding 8 bills up for reading or beyond.

AZCDLfred has simplified the matter of contacting your representative to a point where there is really no excuse for not doing so. We are fortunate that we have things going pretty much our way here in AZ, but I can assure you that it didn't happen by accident. People like Fred work hard to see that a fire is kept under the bottoms of the legislators. Lets give him some help. You won't believe how easy it is. Put in your name and address and the letter is already written and ready to send. And ... you may win a great prize.

Tks Fred.
    Lynn McFadden aka old uncle ho
    I received that email alert yesterday; now trying to convince as many of the people I know to write their legislators using AzCDLs Legislative Action Center.
    Very streamlined, so I agree, no excuses.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Thanks for posting uncle Ho. For some reason my gmail has not been getting the alerts as of late? Not in the spam...just not there period? May have to switch to another email provider.

Edit - sent email for all 8 bills listed in less than 10 minutes! AzCDL Rocks!!!
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-09-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Thanks for posting uncle Ho. For some reason my gmail has not been getting the alerts as of late? Not in the spam...just not there period? May have to switch to another email provider.
    I still use Yahoo, and for some reason the spam filter zaps about a third of AZCDL alerts. So it might not just be a coincidence.

But for some reason I keep getting those spam emails about a website for having an affair (not married), saving on car insurance (don't own a car), and prizes I won in contests I never entered.

OT: is there any page I should go to in order to decipher what the alpha-numerical code next to the bill status means?
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Rusty Young Man - Thanks for cross-posting the Alert, and for the compliments!

And everyone who sent out their letters THANK YOU!

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    But for some reason I keep getting those spam emails about a website for having an affair (not married), saving on car insurance (don't own a car), and prizes I won in contests I never entered
    Since my email address is posted on our website the overwhelming majority of my daily emails (on a good day it's "only" about a 100) are spam, phishing attempts, phony billings and court summons.

Fred

Is there any page I should go to in order to decipher what the alpha-numerical code next to the bill status means?
    I don't quite understand the question. Are you talking about our bill tracking page, or somewhere else?

Fred

To answer your question Rusty

If you click on the link I sent and then on the bill number on the right side of the page, it will take you to a pre-written letter. Fill in your address etc and add a few words if you want to personalize the letter. At the bottom of your address data is a small box that says "remember me". Check it and you won't have to redo your address each time. But Check the box after each letter.

For those of you that are fighting spam, I've been using Gmail for 3 or 4 years. Not overly thrilled with it, but it does have three sections for mail. Primary, Social and promotions. It really does a pretty good job of sorting. You may consider giving it a shot and see if you like it. You do want to check the Social and Promotions boxes to make sure you aren't missing anything valuable.

Cheers and tks for getting on board with the letter writing.

Lynn McFadden aka Old Uncle Ho

Tucson / Bangkok. Currently Bangkok

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    I don't quite understand the question. Are you talking about our bill tracking page, or somewhere else?

Fred
    Say I go to the AzCDL Bill Tracking page and click on the status of Townsend's HB2103.
    I am directed to another page that has something like
    "03/17/2014 JUD (5-3-1-0) DP
    04/02/2014 RULES PFC"

Or Murphy's SB1063, which has the status "JUD (4-2-0-2-0) DP - 03/20/2014" on the Bill Tracking page.

I'd like to know what those things mean so I'm not just anxiously awaiting for the next alert.

Say I go to the AzCDL Bill Tracking page and click on the status of Townsend's HB2103.
    I am directed to another page that has something like
    "03/17/2014 JUD (5-3-1-0) DP
    04/02/2014 RULES PFC"

Or Murphy's SB1063, which has the status "JUD (4-2-0-2-0) DP - 03/20/2014" on the Bill Tracking page.

I'd like to know what those things mean so I'm not just anxiously awaiting for the next alert.
    Ahhhhhhh....

That gibberish shows the most recent action on the bill.

For HB 2103, 3/17/2014 JUD (5-3-1-0) DP means on March 17, 2014, the Judiciary Committee (in this case the Senate Jud. Committee) passed the bill out of committee by a 5-3 vote with 1 committee member not voting and no one absent) with a Do Pass (DP) recommendation.

For SB 1063, it translates to the bill passing out of the House Judiciary Committee on March 20 by a 4-2 vote with a Do Pass recommendation.

All the bills that we're asking you to send letters on have made it about 3/4 of the way through the legislative gauntlet. If they can pass a Committee of the Whole (COW) hearing and Third Read (a floor vote) unscathed, they go to the governor.

I can't stress enough how important it is for gun owners to send in their letters. We (AzCDL) have laid the groundwork and got many of these bills introduced. We've testified at hearings and worked behind the scenes to make sure the committee votes are there. At this point it all depends on the pressure legislators get from their constituents.

If you choose not to get involved, you might as well start sending your checks to the anti-gun groups because that is what your silence is saying.

Fred

I still use Yahoo, and for some reason the spam filter zaps about a third of AZCDL alerts. So it might not just be a coincidence.

But for some reason I keep getting those spam emails about a website for having an affair (not married), saving on car insurance (don't own a car), and prizes I won in contests I never entered.

OT: is there any page I should go to in order to decipher what the alpha-numerical code next to the bill status means?
    Since my email address is posted on our website the overwhelming majority of my daily emails (on a good day it's "only" about a 100) are spam, phishing attempts, phony billings and court summons.

Fred
    I was referring to the spam emails I get from Saudi princes looking for a wife (I'm not a female, as far as I can tell), or from car insurance companies I've never heard of, etc.
    So far the only problem I have with AzCDL emails is that some of them go straight to my spam folder; Yahoo must be part of some conspiracy to keep Freedom-loving individuals in the dark.
    Thanks for explaining the alpha-numerical codes.

@Old Uncle Ho: I use Gmail through the University of Arizona (our "Catmail" accounts) and find it quite manageable. Unfortunately, I highly disapprove of their privacy policy and all. Yahoo is not much better, but...

Thank YOU for posting this, even though you seem to be posting from an entirely different day than we are. Anything interesting happening tomorrow that we should know about? Have fun.

Unfortunately, college students tend to be quite fickle/unmotivated. I try to stress the importance of this, but something tells me that if I managed to convince 2 people to visit the AzCDL page to write to their representatives, I did VERY well. Most likely my words fell on deaf ears.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-11-2014 at 01:20 AM.

Today I was able to corner one of the people I spoke to yesterday. They had their laptop with them, so when they told me they hadn't used AzCDL's Legislative Action Center because "it's really important, but boring, so I probably should" (me:), I got them to do so. Hooray for peer-pressure!

In all seriousness though, he wasn't doing much other than tabling on campus for another organization (not too many takers), and he is somewhat politically active (mostly on other, non-firearm issues). So one more person to FORMALLY urge their representatives to support those bills.

In all seriousness though, he wasn't doing much other than tabling on campus for another organization (not too many takers), and he is somewhat politically active (mostly on other, non-firearm issues). So one more person to FORMALLY urge their representatives to support those bills.
    Awesome! Thanks!

That "but boring" statement is distressing

We are talking about 20-something "adults" right?

Fred

Awesome! Thanks!

That "but boring" statement is distressing

We are talking about 20-something "adults" right?

Fred
    Correct on the age group. He's 21, only slightly older (maybe younger; I forget) than I am. Not the best example of politically-active college students is it?

Also, sending PM.

Make some coffee and get to typin and clickin'!

Thanks to the collective efforts of Freedom-loving Arizonan individuals and Freedom-loving organizations such as the AzCDL, the following five bills survived the crapshoot that is the legislative process and are now awaiting Governor Brewer's signature.

Please make yourself comfortable in front of your computer and start typing and clicking to make your voice be heard and show the governor that we AZ citizens demand to have our voices heard and our pre-existing Rights protected by passage of these bills:

HB 2103
    Summary: AzCDL-requested bill. Lowers age limit for CCW permit eligibility to 19 for those with military service.

HB 2338
    Summary: An AzCDL-requested bill. Adds to the defintion of Aggravated Assault the taking, or attempted taking, of a legally possessed firearm (other than by law enforcement in the performance of official duties).

HB 2339
    Summary: An AzCDL-requested bill. A Public (state and local government) establishment or event cannot ban CCW permit holders from carrying unless methods (metal detectors, security personnel, etc.) are used to determine if anyone entering is armed.

HB 2483
    Summary: Strengthens the protection of the lawful use of firearms, airguns and archery equipment on private property.

HB 2517
    Summary: Would add penalties for political subdivisions (counties, cities, etc.) that enact ordinances, regulations, etc. that violate state firearms preemption law. Also allows for civil actions by those adversely affected by these illegal ordinances.

HB 2483 was signed by the governor (Summary: Strengthens the protection of the lawful use of firearms, airguns and archery equipment on private property).

The other four still awaiting her signature, and the other bills appear to be in limbo, since they are no longer under the "Hot Issues" tab and have no status updates since the 20th of March.

These include:

SB 1063
    Summary: If an operator of a public facility that bans weapons chooses to ignore the statutory weapons storage requirements in ARS 13-3102.01, an otherwise law-abiding citizen entering with a weapon would not be violating the law.

SB 1366
    Summary: SB 1366 seeks to clarify the definition of a firearm and its application to the unlawful discharge statutes in the Arizona Revised Statutes.
    This is the "expanding gas" vs "explosive" definition of firearms bill.

HB 2535 has some gibberish next to its status as of the 15th of April, though I'm unsure of the meaning:
    "Status: COW ACTION 1 RETAINED 0 0 0 0 - 04/15/2014"

Seems like it's dead?

Summary: HB 2535 would facilitate transfers of NFA (National Firearms Act) registered firearms by requiring local law enforcement to sign the required certification on legitimate transfers within 15 days after receiving a request to do so.

the other bills appear to be in limbo, since they are no longer under the "Hot Issues" tab and have no status updates since the 20th of March.
    I temporarily pulled the letters on SB 1063 and 1366 since (1) they are stuck in the House and (2) we want the focus to be on the bills that were sent to the governor for now.

I will be ginning up a weekly alert by this weekend. The House Rules committee won't release SB 1063 (more on that in the alert) and SB 1366 may not get a chance to for a COW hearing.

Re: HB 2535. Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth from the law enforcement chiefs on that one. We're expecting further amendments, but time is running out. The legislature will probably adjourn next week.

If you are reading this and have NOT sent your letters to the Governor, what's stopping you?

Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 04-18-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Thumbs up Done!

Done!

A note = on HB 2517: funny how those who want others to obey the law get so upset about having to do so themselves!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Done!

A note = on HB 2517: funny how those who want others to obey the law get so upset about having to do so themselves!
    Rules for thee but not for me.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Government always exempts itself from the same rules it expects everyone else to follow.

Letters revised and new ones posted.

If you haven't sent your letters to the Governor, please do so!

This letter needs to be sent by everyone.

If you aren't sending your letters, Bloomberg, Brady and Giffords congratulate you for supporting them.

Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 04-19-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Sent the letter to the House "leaders". Harassed some friends who had sent the earlier ones until they sent the new ones. In total I have convinced a good handful of inactive college students to voice their opinions through something other than "social media", if only in that one moment.

Family is ever so s-l-o-w-l-y coming around to seeing the importance of at least SOME activism. Got my brother looking into AzCDL. Convinced him to at least look at the letters. He decided to send them too.

The suspense is killing me.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-21-2014 at 02:10 AM.

Aaaaaaaaand Brewer vetoed the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by The Trickster View Post
    Aaaaaaaaand Brewer vetoed the bills.
    HB 2339 & HB 2517?
    The first eliminated public victim-disarmament (CCW-holders only). The second strengthened state preemption (ALREADY on the books, just giving it teeth).

HB 2338 is still in play:
    Summary: An AzCDL-requested bill. Adds to the defintion of Aggravated Assault the taking, or attempted taking, of a legally possessed firearm (other than by law enforcement in the performance of official duties).

SB 1366 is now in front of her as well
    Summary: SB 1366 seeks to clarify the definition of a firearm and its application to the unlawful discharge statutes in the Arizona Revised Statutes.
    This is the "expanding gas" vs "explosive" definition of firearms bill.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-23-2014 at 11:48 AM.

I guess I'll just have to continue to do what I have always done: CC at all public locations when I must go to them. The liberals can continue to feel safe since they don't see any guns which therefore means there aren't any, according to their imbecilic little minds. Public buildings can post their signs but my tax dollars and both the US and AZ constitutions give me the authority to carry, far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by The Trickster View Post
    I guess I'll just have to continue to do what I have always done: CC at all public locations when I must go to them. The liberals can continue to feel safe since they don't see any guns which therefore means there aren't any, according to their imbecilic little minds. Public buildings can post their signs but my tax dollars and both the US and AZ constitutions give me the authority to carry, far as I'm concerned.
    Edit bad info removed. - - -

I moved here from metro Detroit! Guess what - it is perfectly legal to carry in public buildings openly(no permit needed) or concealed(with permit) Has been for years now. Guess what? No blood in the streets from law-abiding gun carriers. AZ has many great gun laws (Human rights laws) on the books, but this veto should be a strong indicator of just how out of touch our Governor is with the peoples' will!
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-25-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast