• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want to know WHO's doing it? **Thunder Question**

LinemansWifeXD9

We have been SERIOUSLY considering OC'ing for Thunder this weekend. But worried that they will be extra strict about it.
We don't have our CCDW permits yet (on our short list of things to do)... so CC isn't an option yet (at least legally)

Worried they won't let us on the lawn or into certain places if we are OC'ing.

Who else is going? OC'ing?

Advice?

Thanks!

LinemansWifeXD9

They can not legally stop you. Will they try to, will they bully you or try to intimidate you? Who knows. Maybe. Will they be glad to see you OC. I doubt it. They could charge you with murder. They could accuse you of being a child molester. There is no activity, armed or otherwise, that you can engage in, anywhere, that does not have a risk of possible detainment by a LEO, justly or unjustly. You have to decide if you want to take those risks. The only question is, will you let that risk determine your actions? If you are afraid to do the things you want to do because of your government, you might as well stay home and hide under the bed all the time. I don't want to go to Thunder Over Louisville. I would not go if they paid me to go, but I will be in the Jefferson Co. Sheriff's office tomorrow and I will be OC. Will they be happy to see me? I don't know, I doubt it. Will they let me in? I don't know. Will they yell at me and be really, really mean to me? I don't know. Will they throw me on the floor and point guns at me? I don't know, but I will expect and demand that they obey the law. I do know that I am a free person going about my own business in a lawful manner in a free country and I don't need anybody to give me permission or advice. I don't know the answers to these questions, but I do know that I want to go, I want to OC and it is legal to do so; so I'm going. If you do go and are OC, you can't go into any room that sells alcohol (except a restaurant), so stay out of the beer tents. If you want to drink beer, which I don't recommend while armed, send somebody else in the tent to get it.

Thanks for the response.
We are in no way afraid of our government. Just wondered what we may encounter.
And we don't drink while carrying OR with the kids with us. No worries there. :)

KRM59

I went to the air show year before last oc'ing as always, when i got to the gate i showed my pin and walked on in. I had gotten about 30 feet or so past the gate when i heard, sir sir, so i turned to see who and what.
Well it was the gate guy, it all went like this,
gate guy : sir is that a gun ?
me : yes it is
gate guy : you can't bring that in here ( being the great lawn )
me : sure i can, it is perfectly legal
gate guy : I need to find out from someone
me : what ever makes you sleep good at night, let me ask you a question?
gate guy : sure what is it?
me : is this property owned by the city or the state?
gate guy : by the city
me : then by state law i can not be barred from carrying my side arm openly or concealed ( with permit )
gate fool : I still think you can't have that here, let me call someone.
me : go for it
gate idiot : ( on the phone with who knows ) he has a gun on his hip in the open, he say he has the legal right to have it on city property, ( moment of silence ) yes........yes......ok. ( hangs up) you have a nice day sir.

at that point i walked towards the festivities in a group of 5 or 6 sheriff's deputies, and not one of them give me so much as a sideways look.
Now will it be this way this year? who knows, but i will be going for the air show and i will be armed.

bunnspecial

WAVE-3 reported last night that Metro Council is "asking" people to not bring guns to Thunder

http://www.wave3.com/story/25197990...-bring-families-not-concealed-guns-to-thunder

Of course, we all know that they can't legally do anything to prevent people from carrying there(at least on the Waterfront) for reasons already outlined.

Like Gutshot, I wouldn't be caught dead at Thunder(I went 10 years ago, and once was enough for me) but if I were to go I would OC regardless of any "requests" from Metro Council members.

LinemansWifeXD9

WAVE-3 reported last night that Metro Council is "asking" people to not bring guns to Thunder

http://www.wave3.com/story/25197990...-bring-families-not-concealed-guns-to-thunder

Of course, we all know that they can't legally do anything to prevent people from carrying there(at least on the Waterfront) for reasons already outlined.

Like Gutshot, I wouldn't be caught dead at Thunder(I went 10 years ago, and once was enough for me) but if I were to go I would OC regardless of any "requests" from Metro Council members.

Oh I saw that... He's a flippin moron. Let's make even MORE soft targets...

self preservation

Notice both he and the Mayor chose their words very carefully. They "suggested" and "didn't think it was a good idea". They know they can't stop anybody from carrying. What will they say when someone is seriously injured and then that person says they left their gun at home because of this advice? I suspect that they would say something like, "It would have been worse if a gun had been present." Yeah, but worse for who?

But I wonder how many people that would normally carry at this event now won't? I assume several. It doesn't seem to be a hard task for Government to intimidate people. Many will comply with this request to avoid any hassle.

flb_78

But I wonder how many people that would normally carry at this event now won't? I assume several. It doesn't seem to be a hard task for Government to intimidate people. Many will comply with this request to avoid any hassle.

It makes me want to go to it just to walk around armed, but I don't like crowds nor do I like cities.

self preservation

Oh, sure. I never meant to imply that he was doing anything except trying to deter people from carrying. He wants to be able to order people not to carry. He just knows that he can't. My point was that he really tiptoed around it.

No doubt, he tiptoed around it. It just aggravates me that these elected officials are so hell bent on pushing their personal opinions onto the public that they are supposed to be serving. Aggravates me even more the people that follow these request simply because they don't want to go against the grain with the city.

Sir Diealotz

Every year we say that we are going to Thunder but every year something comes up. I have too many thing on my "To Do" list for this weekend or I would joing you guys.

Stay safe and enjoy the show!

DrakeZ07

I would love to go one of these days. Sadly the only way I would go to Thunder, is if I had my Tacticool pump shotty slung on my back, and my AK pistol on my leg. I hate cities, and large groups of people. Although it would be amusing to see how L-ville or sheriffs/security reacts to someone OCing in a big way there. Just to be on topic and not offtopic, I'd pack in a pistol on my hip some where. Legal, and no more off-putting to do things that way, than to just OC a large frame pistol. But I bet carrying all three weapons, openly, legally, to thunder, would cause the OC'er to get a big fat paycheck from the courts, because I have a feeling you'd need it after metro PD 'sees' you 'pointing' the muzzle of a weapon at a 'LEO'.

poetdante

I'll probably be going this year with my gf. Haven't decided if I'll OC or CC. Probably CC just because I don't have any nice outside-the-waistband holsters.

Rusty Young Man

I'll probably be going this year with my gf. Haven't decided if I'll OC or CC. Probably CC just because I don't have any nice outside-the-waistband holsters.

You only need a functional OWB holster to OC outside the waistband. You can also do IWB OC (like the two ladies on the right side of the banner at the too of the page are doing).
Kudos on convincing the GF to go; will she carry as well?
Hope all goes well.

LinemansWifeXD9

Every year we say that we are going to Thunder but every year something comes up. I have too many thing on my "To Do" list for this weekend or I would joing you guys.

Stay safe and enjoy the show!

Thanks, we DID enjoy the day!!

We OC'd with ZERO incident. Walked passed hundreds of law enforcement and military police... NEVER got a look or question from any of them. Even had a few people come up to us and thank us for carrying.

SUCCESS for OC - KY Gun laws today!

(Btw... this was WITH our 3 & 6 year olds present):banana:

poetdante

Thanks, we DID enjoy the day!!

We OC'd with ZERO incident. Walked passed hundreds of law enforcement and military police... NEVER got a look or question from any of them. Even had a few people come up to us and thank us for carrying.

SUCCESS for OC - KY Gun laws today!

(Btw... this was WITH our 3 & 6 year olds present):banana:

I regret not OC'ing at Thunder. :( And I'm ashamed to say the only reason I didn't is because I didn't have a nice holster (I felt my cloth-like Bulldog holster would just be too ugly). Thank you for carrying and promoting the good guns can do in our city!

You only need a functional OWB holster to OC outside the waistband. You can also do IWB OC (like the two ladies on the right side of the banner at the too of the page are doing).
Hope all goes well.

I know, I know. But I like to think of OC as a way to get awareness for people, and it's a silly notion but if I'm carrying openly a nice firearm I want a nice holster. Helps with conversation. My gf did not carry because she felt cops would give her too much grief for OC'ing (she's a few months shy of 21 so doesn't have a CCWL yet). I ALMOST went ahead and carried 2 guns in case she needed one though haha.

I was a tad sad to not see more people carrying (CC or otherwise). Hell, a few people with shotguns would have been a nice sight...

Last edited:

LinemansWifeXD9

I regret not OC'ing at Thunder. :( And I'm ashamed to say the only reason I didn't is because I didn't have a nice holster (I felt my cloth-like Bulldog holster would just be too ugly). Thank you for carrying and promoting the good guns can do in our city!

I know, I know. But I like to think of OC as a way to get awareness for people, and it's a silly notion but if I'm carrying openly a nice firearm I want a nice holster. Helps with conversation. My gf did not carry because she felt cops would give her too much grief for OC'ing (she's a few months shy of 21 so doesn't have a CCWL yet). I ALMOST went ahead and carried 2 guns in case she needed one though haha.

I was a tad sad to not see more people carrying (CC or otherwise). Hell, a few people with shotguns would have been a nice sight...

It was our pleasure OC'ing yesterday. We even had a few people thank us for doing so... and started a couple conversations because of it.
Not ONE LEO or MP said anything or even looked our way. Even talked to a few. NO issues what-so-ever.

LinemansWifeXD9

Don't let that worry you or stop you from OC. I have several guns and several very nice holsters. I also have some guns that are a little odd and have not found holsters made to fit them. I just carry them in cheap black nylon holsters. I have some problems with a couple of them. They often tend to hang away from my body, especially those with double stack magazines. They are topheavy and try to turn upside down. I don't let any of that deter me from carrying them, I just have to be more careful about retention and being in a place where an occasional readjustment would not be a problem. That would not include being in a crowd like Thunder Over Louisville. You probably made the right call on that situation, but a lot of times its easy to step into a rest room or some other private place and readjust. I do try to be a good ambassador for OC, but I don't think of it as a fashion accessory.

Exactly. My hub just wore the paddle holster that came with the kit. He wore my XDs .9mm with the more aggressive backstrap and extended mag, as well as another full mag in his pocket. It isn't for fashion, it's about ease of use/ comfort and safety (as well as maneuverability)
We will be OC'ing from now on.

Chief Ten Beers

Hope all goes well.

Rusty Young Man, I have a question, and it will probably sound dumb, but what is an OWB and an IWB holster? :D