• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range Wars with the Federal Government

MurrayRothbard

Here's a post from the rancher's daughter:

I have had people ask me to explain my dad's stance on this BLM fight. Here it is in as simple of terms as I can explain it. There is so much to it, but here it s in a nut shell. My great grandpa bought the rights to the Bunkerville allotment back in 1887 around there. Then he sold them to my grandpa who then turned them over to my dad in 1972. These men bought and paid for their rights to the range and also built waters, fences and roads to assure the survival of their cattle, all with their own money, not with tax dollars. These rights to the land use is called preemptive rights. Some where down the line, to keep the cows from over grazing, came the bureau of land management. They were supposed to assist the ranchers in the management of their ranges while the ranchers paid a yearly allotment which was to be use to pay the BLM wages and to help with repaires and improvements of the ranches. My dad did pay his grazing fees for years to the BLM until they were no longer using his fees to help him and to improve. Instead they began using these money's against the ranchers. They bought all the rest of the ranchers in the area out with they're own grazing fees. When they offered to buy my dad out for a penence he said no thanks and then fired them because they weren't doing their job. He quit paying the BLM but, tried giving his grazing fees to the county, which they turned down. So my dad just went on running his ranch and making his own improvements with his own equipment and his own money, not taxes. In essence the BLM was managing my dad out of business. Well when buying him out didn't work, they used the indangered species card. You've already heard about the desert tortis. Well that didn't work either, so then began the threats and the court orders, which my dad has proven to be unlawful for all these years. Now their desperate. It's come down to buying the brand inspector off and threatening the County Sheriff. Everything their doing at this point is illegal and totally against the constitution of the United States of America. Now you may be saying," how sad, but what does this have to do with me?" Well, I'll tell you. They will get rid of Cliven Bundy, the last man standing on the Bunkerville allotment and then they will close all the roads so no one can ever go on it again. Next, it's Utah's turn. Mark my words, Utah is next.

Then there's the issue of the cattle that are at this moment being stolen. See even if dad hasn't paid them, those cattle do belong to him. Regardless where they are they are my fathers property. His herd has been part of that range for over a hundred years, long before the BLM even exsisted. Now the Feds think they can just come in and remove them and sell them without a legal brand inspection or without my dad's signature on it. They think they can take them over two boarders, which is illegal, ask any trucker. Then they plan to take them to the Richfeild Aucion and sell them. All with our tax money. They have paid off the contract cowboys and the auction owner as well as the Nevada brand inspector with our tax dollars. See how slick they are?
Well, this is it in a nut shell. Thanks"

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Interesting so he bought the rights to it.

Thanks for the info Murray.

Too bad the Feds feel the need to own most of NV and the ranchers could own their own land.

DocWalker

Apparently its not "lands set aside for grazing". It appears to be land set aside and one of things allowed there is grazing of cattle. Key word.... allowed.

I apologize if it seemed I was assigning the Waco comment to you, I wasn't. I was just commenting in general about the the armed agents "wanting" a fight.

To entertain that notion is ludicrous.

And sure maybe they are afraid of the government and its violence........ or they are smart enough to understand they are using land that's NOT theirs and they have to follow the rules sent there. Couldn't be that right? :)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

So that song I learned when I was a child "This land is your land...this land is my land.." isn't true?

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...ei=UTF-8&p=song this land is your land lyrics

Primus

sudden valley gunner

The truth comes out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tfOVg5R4ngA

It's about the tortoises... Yeah right :rolleyes:

FUQ-"We bring you now the latest from the Bundy Ranch, where the militia has arrived in support of Cliven Bundy in his stand off against the Federal Government, where the Bureau of Land Management has surrounded his ranch with snipers, helicopters and heavy equipment."

More references to the government arriving with snipers and military equipment against the citizenry of a state.

sudden valley gunner

What, you don't believe them?

Even Ted Turner has purchased millions of acres of land, which has no other useful purpose whatsoever, in an attempt to save the black-footed ferret and other animals.

No say it aint so preservation can only be done by the hands of the state and the destruction of property rights!

OC for ME

Only tortoises, cattle, and a rancher or two are walking through that land. I've been through that part of the country, not much there to graze on in the first place. The feds changed the rules at the behest of a couple of environuts who happen to have a fax machine.

HPmatt

Want to say there are several factors here.
1-Family has been grazing cattle there since 1840s - historical use of land
2-BLM wasn't created until 1940s - don't know how feds handled land prior to that
3-family owns large parcels of land
4-BLM/public land is adjacent to family land, but not fenced separate
5-EPA says there is a protected tortoise in this area (hasn't been killed off from cattle since 1940s....)
6-I know that the grazing fees used to be very small, but a lot of environmental groups have been driving up
prices of grazing rights trying to make it uneconomical for ranchers to continue
7-family has been involved in lawsuits with BLM at least since 1990s
8-Not sure what his point is about NV owning the public lands vs the BLM/feds
9-don't know what right Feds have to 'suspend' 1A to certain designated areas, that appear t/b on state land
10-don't know why BLM claims it has authority to shut down state hwy that is not Federal.

Looks to me like the Feds think they own NV and the Constitution doesn't apply out there

MurrayRothbard

Haven't watch yet, just passing it on

[video=youtube;GQb0qJLhea8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQb0qJLhea8&feature=share[/video]