Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pat Cook wrongful death settlement (Culpeper Shooting)

Pat Cook wrongful death settlement (Culpeper Shooting)

Pat Cook wrongful death settlement

The town of Culpeper's insurance carrier will pay $300,000 to settle the wrongful death lawsuit involving Patricia Ann Cook, the local housewife fatally shot by a former police officer two years ago on a residential street downtown.
    Harmon-Wright agreed to the settlement "without in anyway admitting negligence liability on its part," according to court documents. The settlement agreement, if approved by the court, will resolve all three cases arising out of the wrongful death of Cook including lawsuits against Harmon-Wright, Culpeper Police Chief Chris Jenkins and former Culpeper Police Chief Dan Boring.
    more: http://www.dailyprogress.com/starexp...7a43b2370.html

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    Just curious, but does this sad story have a OC or RKBA angle?

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty-or-Death View Post

μολών λαβέ
    Just curious, are you a moderator who enforces that?

Its a 'public interest' story from Virginia that extends way back to the beginning here on the Virginia forum. Search it, and you'll find many threads on this incident that have been permitted over the years.
    Last edited by Blk97F150; 04-10-2014 at 07:05 AM.

As stated, just curious. Once upon a time, folks were taken at their word.

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

Well,,,

μολών λαβέ
    No,,, none.

But it did play out here on this forum, in this thread. Culpeper shooting

User defended the cop!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

μολών λαβέ
    Yes it does!
    This case, through the eyes of Dan Hawes, gave us a real look at a shooting, the laws involved which are remarkably much the same for a LEO as for anyone else, how every shooting can be called into question and how anyone can be convicted. He did this at some expense since the press and the State Bar felt we should be kept in the dark.

Many pages were written here, a much by trolls, some banned that came back to life as reincarnated trolls, lots of arguments by the armchair experts and lots of real discussion as well.

Knowing the law is as important as knowing how to shoot and I'd trade a week at Thunder Ranch for a day in the classroom with User.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

μολών λαβέ
    While the principal purpose of the forum is to promote and defend the right to OC, those items/events that are tied into guns, shootings, use of force are generally considered appropriate here.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Wasn't doubting the appropriateness, just read the article expecting to see an obvious tie-in, and didn't.

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

What's the Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Yes it does!
    This case, through the eyes of Dan Hawes, gave us a real look at a shooting, the laws involved which are remarkably much the same for a LEO as for anyone else, how every shooting can be called into question and how anyone can be convicted. He did this at some expense since the press and the State Bar felt we should be kept in the dark.

Many pages were written here, a much by trolls, some banned that came back to life as reincarnated trolls, lots of arguments by the armchair experts and lots of real discussion as well.

Knowing the law is as important as knowing how to shoot and I'd trade a week at Thunder Ranch for a day in the classroom with User.
    Couldn't BLK97F150 have answered this way, instead of his original snarky response to Liberty-or-Death?

Wasn't doubting the appropriateness, just read the article expecting to see an obvious tie-in, and didn't.

μολών λαβέ
    The tie-in is Use of Deadly Force and in this case with a handgun.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Thanks Peter, thanks Grape! Informative as usual.

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    Couldn't BLK97F150 have answered this way, instead of his original snarky response to Liberty-or-Death?
    That's the first time I've ever been accused of being more diplomatic than BLK!

Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    Shocker... a northerner from Jersey giving advice on how they think things should be done in another states forum...

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That's the first time I've ever been accused of being more diplomatic than BLK!
    I'm trying to catch up to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Shocker... a northerner from Jersey giving advice on how they think things should be done in another states forum...
    Don't know where she is from originally, but by her Location (zip code) she is a neighbor of mine, resides in Chesterfield county.

That and we are not precluded from posting in only our state of residence.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-10-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Don't know where she is from originally, but by her Location (zip code) she is a neighbor of mine, resides in Chesterfield county.

That and we are not precluded from posting in only our state of residence.
    That wasn't the person I had replied to with the 'Jersey' comment. Scroll back up, and look at the one I had responded too.

Btw, just for clarification... my first response to 'Liberty-or-Death' (regarding whether they were a Mod or not) was meant to be a light-hearted comment... thus the 'dancing banana'. If it came across to her other than that, then I offer her my apologies.

That wasn't the person I had replied to with the 'Jersey' comment. Scroll back up, and look at the one I had responded too.

Btw, just for clarification... my first response to 'Liberty-or-Death' (regarding whether they were a Mod or not) was meant to be a light-hearted comment... thus the 'dancing banana'. If it came across to her other than that, then I offer her my apologies.
    You're good. I must have been on the far side of the street when I read that

Liberty-or-Death is a he

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

Liberty-or-Death is a he

μολών λαβέ
    Can't tell that from here, so went with my memory. You see the problem now, right?

Liberty-or-Death is a he

μολών λαβέ
    Oops. We're batting 1000 today...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Liberty-or-Death is a he

μολών λαβέ
    Can't tell that from here, so went with my memory. You see the problem now, right?
    he's the guy who was sitting across from Logan and I the last time we were at the Pig n Pay

Indeed, the fat one.

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

Banned
    $300K really is not that much ... but the plaintiff was satisfied.

Of course, no admission of wrongdoing...

Pat Cook wrongful death settlement.
    Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:47 pm | Updated: 4:50 am, Thu Apr 11, 2013. -- The former Culpeper Police Officer recently convicted of voluntary manslaughter in the Feb. 9, 2012 shooting death of Patricia Ann Cook will not be formally sentenced until May 2 because his attorney is seeking less jail time.
    "without in anyway admitting negligence liability on its part,"

It is settled then.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Sorry

Sorry that I had the gall to give advice on a forum that encourages dialogue. Sorry also that I am from NJ. If someone from any State cannot give advice to someone from any other State on this forum, we are in BIG TROUBLE. We share the ultimate goal of "Constitutional Carry" throughout the entire country. People from any State may be able to offer a different perspective of a situation along the way. As I usually do, however, I defer to BLK97F150 and his experience. It is way more than mine, and I know I have a lot to learn from him and others. I just have one request. DON'T BE SNARKY! Lighthearted comment, my friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast