• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pat Cook wrongful death settlement (Culpeper Shooting)

Blk97F150

Pat Cook wrongful death settlement

The town of Culpeper's insurance carrier will pay $300,000 to settle the wrongful death lawsuit involving Patricia Ann Cook, the local housewife fatally shot by a former police officer two years ago on a residential street downtown.

Harmon-Wright agreed to the settlement "without in anyway admitting negligence liability on its part," according to court documents. The settlement agreement, if approved by the court, will resolve all three cases arising out of the wrongful death of Cook including lawsuits against Harmon-Wright, Culpeper Police Chief Chris Jenkins and former Culpeper Police Chief Dan Boring.

more: http://www.dailyprogress.com/starex...cle_7f6d6420-b521-11e3-b391-0017a43b2370.html

Blk97F150

Just curious, but does this sad story have a OC or RKBA angle?

μολών λαβέ

Just curious, are you a moderator who enforces that? :banana:

Its a 'public interest' story from Virginia that extends way back to the beginning here on the Virginia forum. Search it, and you'll find many threads on this incident that have been permitted over the years.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

μολών λαβέ

Yes it does!
This case, through the eyes of Dan Hawes, gave us a real look at a shooting, the laws involved which are remarkably much the same for a LEO as for anyone else, how every shooting can be called into question and how anyone can be convicted. He did this at some expense since the press and the State Bar felt we should be kept in the dark.

Many pages were written here, a much by trolls, some banned that came back to life as reincarnated trolls, lots of arguments by the armchair experts and lots of real discussion as well.

Knowing the law is as important as knowing how to shoot and I'd trade a week at Thunder Ranch for a day in the classroom with User.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

μολών λαβέ
While the principal purpose of the forum is to promote and defend the right to OC, those items/events that are tied into guns, shootings, use of force are generally considered appropriate here.

Liberty-or-Death

Wasn't doubting the appropriateness, just read the article expecting to see an obvious tie-in, and didn't.

μολών λαβέ

fjpro2a

What's the Problem?

Yes it does!
This case, through the eyes of Dan Hawes, gave us a real look at a shooting, the laws involved which are remarkably much the same for a LEO as for anyone else, how every shooting can be called into question and how anyone can be convicted. He did this at some expense since the press and the State Bar felt we should be kept in the dark.

Many pages were written here, a much by trolls, some banned that came back to life as reincarnated trolls, lots of arguments by the armchair experts and lots of real discussion as well.

Knowing the law is as important as knowing how to shoot and I'd trade a week at Thunder Ranch for a day in the classroom with User.

Couldn't BLK97F150 have answered this way, instead of his original snarky response to Liberty-or-Death?

Blk97F150

Couldn't BLK97F150 have answered this way, instead of his original snarky response to Liberty-or-Death?

Shocker... a northerner from Jersey giving advice on how they think things should be done in another states forum... :uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Shocker... a northerner from Jersey giving advice on how they think things should be done in another states forum... :uhoh:
Don't know where she is from originally, but by her Location (zip code) she is a neighbor of mine, resides in Chesterfield county.

That and we are not precluded from posting in only our state of residence.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Don't know where she is from originally, but by her Location (zip code) she is a neighbor of mine, resides in Chesterfield county.

That and we are not precluded from posting in only our state of residence.

That wasn't the person I had replied to with the 'Jersey' comment. Scroll back up, and look at the one I had responded too. :p

Btw, just for clarification... my first response to 'Liberty-or-Death' (regarding whether they were a Mod or not) was meant to be a light-hearted comment... thus the 'dancing banana'. If it came across to her other than that, then I offer her my apologies.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That wasn't the person I had replied to with the 'Jersey' comment. Scroll back up, and look at the one I had responded too. :p

Btw, just for clarification... my first response to 'Liberty-or-Death' (regarding whether they were a Mod or not) was meant to be a light-hearted comment... thus the 'dancing banana'. If it came across to her other than that, then I offer her my apologies.

You're good. I must have been on the far side of the street when I read that :(