Thread: A reason to avoid the Pacific Science Center

A reason to avoid the Pacific Science Center

Pacific Science Center is a weapons-free property.

http://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/...est-guidelines

FRIGGING 'ell

Now I never want to go there again.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

A reason to avoid the Pacific Science Center

Um, who owns it? City of Seattle?

Preemption should apply. Just like every other place Seattle tries to ban carrying. They will never learn.

Also, can they claim they are acting in the role of a business when they are tax exempt?
    Last edited by tombrewster421; 04-10-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post

Preemption should apply. Just like every other place Seattle tries to ban carrying. They will never learn.

Also, can they claim they are acting in the role of a business when they are tax exempt?
    They are claiming to be a private tax exempt org that is there to benefit the public.

Like "Goodwill" is a nonprofit.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 04-10-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post

It's a private and independent non-profit.

They used to lease the property from the city for a $1 per year.
    The deeds were signed over in 2004 and the Foundation now has ownership.
    cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post

http://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/...est-guidelines

FRIGGING 'ell

Now I never want to go there again.

I don't think they're that strict about it. The last time I went was for the King Tut exhibit, and I'm pretty sure I had my not-so-discreet pocket knife. Maybe they just mean guns.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I don't think they're that strict about it. The last time I went was for the King Tut exhibit, and I'm pretty sure I had my not-so-discreet pocket knife. Maybe they just mean guns.
    Well I had my gun with me at the king Tut exhibit. They just didn't see it.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

I carried there about 1.5 years ago and did not have any problems.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Seattle has verbiage in the lease that they shall prohibit firearms.
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    More an more reasons to try and avoid Seattle.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I now avoid the PSC completely. Last time I was there the place was overrun by a bunch of kids running everywhere and screeching at the top of their lungs. think the average age in the place was around 8 years of age with too few parents for the number of kids there.

Really enjoyable to pay admission, go look at a display, and get pushed out of the way by 3-4 kids that just jam themselves in front of you.

I can see why they'd have a "no guns" policy
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    More an more reasons to try and avoid Seattle.
    I've open carried in seattle. Never had any issues,,,,,,,, never at PSC but in various downtown areas
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I've open carried in seattle. Never had any issues,,,,,,,, never at PSC but in various downtown areas
    Same here, I rarely, have problems OC in DT Seattle.

I've had the police visit with me while shopping one time, heard a call about me in the bus tunnel, oh yeah had trouble trying to walk on the ferry one day, and then the WSCC issue.

So, 3 times with only 2 contacts.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 04-20-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I have too. Wasn't my point.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Question PSC guidelines

Regardless of what's been done, it's in writing that they can get ugly on us for carrying there.
    "Pacific Science Center Guest Guidelines
    Pacific Science Center is a tobacco-free property, including all outdoor spaces.
    While pets are not permitted inside Pacific Science Center, service animals are welcome.
    All youth under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. All ages 18 and under may require accompaniment by an adult as dictated by group policy."

As to the service dog statement...WA has no requirement or certification process; just say that your purse-sized Pommie is a service dog and in you go.

The rest of these 'guidelines' are equally vague.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
    "Pacific Science Center Guest Guidelines
    Pacific Science Center is a tobacco-free property, including all outdoor spaces.
    While pets are not permitted inside Pacific Science Center, service animals are welcome.
    All youth under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. All ages 18 and under may require accompaniment by an adult as dictated by group policy."

As to the service dog statement...WA has no requirement or certification process; just say that your purse-sized Pommie is a service dog and in you go.

The rest of these 'guidelines' are equally vague.
    Okay, you test it, let us all know how well it turns out. Okay?

Okay, you test it, let us all know how well it turns out. Okay?
    Because of the ADA, you cannot be asked what the "disability" the service animal is for. The only requirement is that the animal is identified as a service animal, which is easily enough to do with the Internet.

ITT: Service animal owner

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Because of the ADA, you cannot be asked what the "disability" the service animal is for. The only requirement is that the animal is identified as a service animal, which is easily enough to do with the Internet.

ITT: Service animal owner
    I was talking about the OC part. I know very well about service animal part.

Please read the full context.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 04-22-2014 at 01:09 PM.