• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A reason to avoid the Pacific Science Center

tombrewster421

Um, who owns it? City of Seattle?

Preemption should apply. Just like every other place Seattle tries to ban carrying. They will never learn.

Also, can they claim they are acting in the role of a business when they are tax exempt?

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Preemption should apply. Just like every other place Seattle tries to ban carrying. They will never learn.

Also, can they claim they are acting in the role of a business when they are tax exempt?

They are claiming to be a private tax exempt org that is there to benefit the public.

Like "Goodwill" is a nonprofit.

Last edited:

NavyMike

It's a private and independent non-profit.

They used to lease the property from the city for a $1 per year.
The deeds were signed over in 2004 and the Foundation now has ownership.

tombrewster421

I don't think they're that strict about it. The last time I went was for the King Tut exhibit, and I'm pretty sure I had my not-so-discreet pocket knife. Maybe they just mean guns.

Well I had my gun with me at the king Tut exhibit. They just didn't see it.

amlevin

I now avoid the PSC completely. Last time I was there the place was overrun by a bunch of kids running everywhere and screeching at the top of their lungs. think the average age in the place was around 8 years of age with too few parents for the number of kids there.

Really enjoyable to pay admission, go look at a display, and get pushed out of the way by 3-4 kids that just jam themselves in front of you.

I can see why they'd have a "no guns" policy :( :(

Freedom1Man

I've open carried in seattle. Never had any issues,,,,,,,, never at PSC but in various downtown areas

Same here, I rarely, have problems OC in DT Seattle.

I've had the police visit with me while shopping one time, heard a call about me in the bus tunnel, oh yeah had trouble trying to walk on the ferry one day, and then the WSCC issue.

So, 3 times with only 2 contacts.

Last edited:

Contrarian

PSC guidelines

Regardless of what's been done, it's in writing that they can get ugly on us for carrying there.

"Pacific Science Center Guest Guidelines
Pacific Science Center is a weapons-free property.
Pacific Science Center is a tobacco-free property, including all outdoor spaces.
While pets are not permitted inside Pacific Science Center, service animals are welcome.
All youth under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. All ages 18 and under may require accompaniment by an adult as dictated by group policy."

As to the service dog statement...WA has no requirement or certification process; just say that your purse-sized Pommie is a service dog and in you go.

The rest of these 'guidelines' are equally vague.

Freedom1Man

"Pacific Science Center Guest Guidelines
Pacific Science Center is a weapons-free property.
Pacific Science Center is a tobacco-free property, including all outdoor spaces.
While pets are not permitted inside Pacific Science Center, service animals are welcome.
All youth under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. All ages 18 and under may require accompaniment by an adult as dictated by group policy."

As to the service dog statement...WA has no requirement or certification process; just say that your purse-sized Pommie is a service dog and in you go.

The rest of these 'guidelines' are equally vague.

Okay, you test it, let us all know how well it turns out. Okay?

mikeyb

Okay, you test it, let us all know how well it turns out. Okay?

Because of the ADA, you cannot be asked what the "disability" the service animal is for. The only requirement is that the animal is identified as a service animal, which is easily enough to do with the Internet.

ITT: Service animal owner

Freedom1Man

Because of the ADA, you cannot be asked what the "disability" the service animal is for. The only requirement is that the animal is identified as a service animal, which is easily enough to do with the Internet.

ITT: Service animal owner

I was talking about the OC part. I know very well about service animal part.

Please read the full context.

Last edited: