• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RTD: "Pro gun" or "Pro Gun RIGHTS" ???

Repeater

Who is Louis LLovio anyway?

Pro-gun group questions Chesterfield principal
BY LOUIS LLOVIO Richmond Times-Dispatch

The leader of a Virginia pro-gun group is taking exception with Thomas Dale High School Principal Pam Lumsden for sending a letter to parents saying guns aren’t allowed on the Chesterfield County school’s grounds — even inside vehicles.

“As the president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a gun rights organization, I need to point out that Ms. Lumsden’s recent statement that parents cannot have firearms in the vehicles on school property is totally false under Virginia law,” Philip Van Cleave wrote in an email to the school.

The Statist Tool responds accordingly:
Shawn Smith, a school system spokesman, said in an email Tuesday that “with very limited and narrow exceptions not applicable in most situations, guns are not allowed on school property or in vehicles on school property.”

Under state law, there are eight exceptions when a gun or other weapon is allowed on school property, including when carried by law enforcement or when used for a school activity. A knife used for food preparation also is allowed.

The law also includes provisions for a person who has a concealed handgun permit “and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school.”

Outside of the exceptions, it is a Class 6 felony to have a gun on school grounds.

How about an exception for visible carry? Oh never mind.

Now, on to the comments, some of which are interesting:
Mark Davis · Top Commenter · Virginia Union University
I thought schools were centers of academic achievement and growth..what place do weapons of any sort have in learning???

Phil Grabar · Top Commenter · Huron College
These gun nuts won't be happy until every man, woman, and child is walking around with a gun on their hip like the wild west.

Norma Earls · Top Commenter
LOUIS LLOVIO Richmond Times-Dispatch, you meant to write "Pro-gun RIGHTS group", didn't you? I'm sure it was just a typo.

Barry Fitzgerald · Top Commenter · VCU
Norma- Please notice the button Philip Van Cleave is wearing in the photo; one would certainly be likely to believe that he's "pro-gun."

Tracy Peters Jr. · Top Commenter · Virginia Tech
Barry Fitzgerald, I believe Norma was maybe talking about the deliberate act of leaving out the word "Rights", as in if it had been a statement from an advocate for gays, it would have been written that he was a pro-gay Rights Group, not a pro-gay group.

Someone once said that “Words have power. Words begin and end wars. They create and destroy families. They break hearts. They heal them. If you have the right words, there's nothing on earth you can't do."

I like the word "period", it "used" to have a ring of truth to it. Period.

thedevilrobyjohn

schools

With a chp, can I have a pistol in my dash. This pistol neither being moved from my person or anything, its just in my dash like my owners manual. Been in there since I placed it in there at home. No chance of it being seen, moved, carried or brandished. Can I drive to one of my daughters several schools and get out of my car an attend an event or go inside to pick them up legally? Or do I have to remain with it in my car? Does car have to be running?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Mark Davis · Top Commenter · Virginia Union University
I thought schools were centers of academic achievement and growth..what place do weapons of any sort have in learning???

Well, if he can convince the Bad Guys to stop picking on the unarmed and (mostly) unaware, then I might agree. But till then, I want an equal say in what happens. That, and most folks need to learn http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/why-the-gun-is-civilization/

Phil Grabar · Top Commenter · Huron College
These gun nuts won't be happy until every man, woman, and child is walking around with a gun on their hip like the wild west.

Yes. Yes I do. Too bad he does not know that the homicide rate in the "Wild West" was much lower than it is in most urban centers today - as was the overall crrime rate. What was it Robert Hienlien said? "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when may have to back up his acts with his life."

Norma Earls · Top Commenter
LOUIS LLOVIO Richmond Times-Dispatch, you meant to write "Pro-gun RIGHTS group", didn't you? I'm sure it was just a typo.

Well, it's kinda hard to be Pro-Gun-Rights without being pro-gun too.

Barry Fitzgerald · Top Commenter · VCU
Norma- Please notice the button Philip Van Cleave is wearing in the photo; one would certainly be likely to believe that he's "pro-gun."

See? Even the hoplophobic screaming meemie liberals understand they go pretty much hand in hand.

Tracy Peters Jr. · Top Commenter · Virginia Tech
Barry Fitzgerald, I believe Norma was maybe talking about the deliberate act of leaving out the word "Rights", as in if it had been a statement from an advocate for gays, it would have been written that he was a pro-gay Rights Group, not a pro-gay group.

Now we are just playing semantic against each other. But yes, the screaming meemie hoplophobic liberals will see that ommiting the word "rights" means you are not concerned about rights.

Someone once said that “Words have power. Words begin and end wars. They create and destroy families. They break hearts. They heal them. If you have the right words, there's nothing on earth you can't do."

And someone else (Humpty Dumpty, I believe it was) said "Words mean what I want them to mean." But HD was a screaming meemie hoplophobic liberal.

stay safe.

thedevilrobyjohn

With a chp, can I have a pistol in my dash. This pistol neither being moved from my person or anything, its just in my dash like my owners manual. Been in there since I placed it in there at home. No chance of it being seen, moved, carried or brandished. Can I drive to one of my daughters several schools and get out of my car an attend an event or go inside to pick them up legally? Or do I have to remain with it in my car? Does car have to be running?

guess since im not clear on the law as is no one else, ill just park across the street and leave whatever I want in my car however I want to leave it. Be hard to explain my traveling gun store anyway.

TFred

Does anyone know if PVC has released a copy of his e-mail to the school? The RTD article essentially ignores it, but a WWBT (NBC12) story does provide a little more:

Turns out, parents can have guns on school grounds according to Virginia law. If you have a concealed carry permit, your concealed hand-gun can be anywhere inside your car-- even on a parking lot of a school. If you don't have a permit, the gun would have to be in a firearms rack or in a closed container like a glove box or console. But in no case, can you ever bring the gun outside of the car into the school.​

I suspect PVC's e-mail is quite thorough, since he was trying to educate the "educators".

TFred

Repeater

I suspect PVC's e-mail is quite thorough, since he was trying to educate the "educators".

TFred

As David Codrea points out, the Educrats oppose opposition:

A No Opposition Zone
Thomas Dale High School Principal Pam Lumsden and school system spokesman Shawn Smith want to make sure EVERYONE knows!

And they want it so badly, they'll even disseminate disinformation to make the place appear even more vulnerable than it is.

I wonder what Pam and Shawn would personally be prepared to do if someone ignores their "rules"...?

I wonder, too. Beg perhaps?