• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Elizabeth Daly's suit against the ABC removed to Federal Court (Henry Hudson)

va_tazdad

Whatcho sayin' Willis? What's the 'Bureau of LE'? How would you know this? No 'insider crapola' cuts it, either.

BLE (Bureau of Law Enforcement) is the division of the ABC that the agents and many other employees are assigned to. Used to be called Regulatory and Enforcement. Now all agents must complete a state DCJS approved police academe and field training unlike the old days.

Way back when, you called then "Revenuers".

Maverick9

OK, you know of what you speak taz-dad. Just color me cranky about it, then. Good to hear they're tested (allegedly).

How do you know these things, this policy?

To tell the truth I don't really care about her suit, her outcome. I just want the ABC monitored and on a short leash. No more of this quasi-military style training, if any, no more going after buyers when the onus should be on the sellers.

Repeater

Lucky for her and her claimed PTSD, (and the lawyer) the state didn't drop the 7 agents or she would have got nothing on what the state pays agents.

$212K is a gift to both the alleged "victim" and the state. There was no way she would have gotten $40 million.

Thorsen is a great lawyer. I know, I have used him.

I agree with you. In all likelihood, this was the best she could get.

What was important was this: although Judge Hudson dismissed the lawsuit against the state, the suit against the agents could go forward -- as you pointed out.

I wonder what a jury would have thought? Hmmmm.....

davidmcbeth

Banned
$140K (maybe taxable, rules on this is a nightmare, if so, 91K in pocket) possible in pocket...

Once a summary judgment has been overcome (unless its a slam-dunk case) then offers start to be in earnest.

No SJ? Then usually after a trial date is set.

I could buy some nice guns and stuff for 91K ....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
OK, you know of what you speak taz-dad. Just color me cranky about it, then. Good to hear they're tested (allegedly).

To tell the truth I don't really care about her suit, her outcome. I just want the ABC monitored and on a short leash. No more of this quasi-military style training, if any, no more going after buyers when the onus should be on the sellers.

The gentleman (and yes, he is one) does have inside information which, probably for good reasons, he chooses not to reveal under his nom de guerre.

It's nice to have that tidbit about training slipped out. It sets up both the individual agent and their superiors for some nastiness should this sort of incident be repeated. It also quashes qualified immunity.

Just pray that ABC does not terminate an offending agent based on "they were not complying with instruction, policy, and procedure when they committed the alleged act so were not acting as an employee of the Commonwealth at the time of the alleged incident." (Yes, I have seen that done several times - removes the Commonwealth from any civil suit and opens the former employee to a situation where they would be better off committing sepeku than have to turn over 25% of their paycheck for the rest of their life, as well as having almost everything they own auctioned off.*)

stay safe.

* - it was not until 2002 that the law was updated to delete the exemption of one mule and added the exemption of one automobile. https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+34-26

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The gentleman (and yes, he is one) does have inside information which, probably for good reasons, he chooses not to reveal under his nom de guerre.

Yes...Taz is a gentleman, a friend and you can take what he tells you to the bank!

scouser

As skid, peter nap and myself (and many others in the Richmond area) all know Taz personally, we all know that he knows of what he speaks. He's also one of the nicest "damn yankees" you'd ever meet and my little boy thinks the world of him

Marco

These agents and other rights violators are lucky they haven't met the parent that would demand blood for their illegal actions.

Not advocating criminal actions just stating a fact.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It would likely be in the union contract, available under a records request..

Pray tell what "union contract" that would be.

Public employee unions are verboten in Virginia. At best there are employee associations but they have no bargaining power. Mostly they lobby for their membership. ABC agents do not appear to be represented by any employee association (FOP or the like).

stay safe.