Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Day Carrying & Stopped By State Patrol !

First Day Carrying & Stopped By State Patrol !

I submitted my Minnesota Permit to Carry application to my local sheriff's office this past Monday and received it in the mail today..4 days not bad......anyways with the story...I had a meeting out of town and I decided to take my handgun with since I'm now permitted...on my way back home I was on a 2 lane highway, I was behind a truck towing a horse trailer and the driver was going about 52..53 in a 55mph highway so I decided to pass him not knowing there was a State Patrol in front of him...and pass the State Patrol as well ...about 2 minutes later I see them infamous red and blue lights and tell myself "ohh hell I wonder how this is going to go"...so I pull over with my Ruger handgun on the passenger seat...while the State Patrol/Police do whatever they do for a minute when they pull someone over I took out my drivers license and my permit to carry...the State Patrol Officer (a female) came over to my passenger window and before anything I told her I was carrying a loaded handgun (which she saw as soon as she came to my window)...and have a permit to carry which I handed it to her...she took a quick look and said "thank you for telling me about the firearm" then she said how's your driving record I said never been pulled over first timer ehh she told me to keep my hands on the steering wheel and that she'll be right back a few minutes later she comes back with a written warning for "speeding" and tells me again thanks for telling her about the firearm before anything...first day carrying and first time getting pulled over LOL...She seemed a bit nervous but was very nice.

Banned
    A warning ? I never get them.

Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

Carry on!
    Female officer..... Maybe he showed a little leg

My recollection from drivers ed was that you are allowed to temporally exceed the speed limit in order to expidite passing a slow moving vehicle.
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Female officer..... Maybe he showed a little leg

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona CAMPAIGN308!

Glad to hear you weren't hassled for carrying. Hope your future experiences are like this one, or better yet: non-events (as it should be). But I'll take a warning over a ticket any day.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Not bad.

Were you driving with the gun on the front seat, or did you place it there when you got pulled over?
    Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
    NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Shotshell + Metallic Reloading, RSO)
    Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by robdoar View Post
    Not bad.

Were you driving with the gun on the front seat, or did you place it there when you got pulled over?
    i was thinking this too? Handling a firearm as an officer is approaching doesnt seem wise. Plus any movement in the car could be misconstrued as you trying to hide something. I would recommend not handling a firearm when getting stopped for speeding. If it's in a holster, leave it there. If it's in the glovebox or console, leave it there and just inform the officer. Just my recommendation.
    Last edited by Kopis; 04-11-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    My recollection from drivers ed was that you are allowed to temporally exceed the speed limit in order to expidite passing a slow moving vehicle.
    In WI this isn't true. One can only accelerate to the speed limit when passing. Going over the posted speed limit is always prohibited. It may be different in other states . . .
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    In WI this isn't true. One can only accelerate to the speed limit when passing. Going over the posted speed limit is always prohibited. It may be different in other states . . .
    That's too bad. Yea it's different in my state I think you are allowed to go up to 10 over. Most LEO's here won't pull people over for going up to 10 over even when not passing.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

Carry on!

Opposite here. It's all I get.

Quote Originally Posted by robdoar View Post
    Not bad.

I was driving with it on my passenger seat.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And if you have to hit the brakes hard or are in an accident what happens to that gun? HINT: it goes flying wherever momentum (or is it inertia?) decides to take it. Looks like it would be inertia. Anyway, the gun moves uncontrolled off the seat.
    True, but I don't keep a round chambered if that makes you feel any better (and no ever gets in my car besides me)...It could fly out of my vehicle if in an accident as well...I recently started carrying it holstered on me than leaving it on the seat when driving.
    Last edited by CAMPAIGN308; 04-15-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMPAIGN308 View Post
    I was driving with it on my passenger seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And if you have to hit the brakes hard or are in an accident what happens to that gun? HINT: it goes flying wherever momentum (or is it inertia?) decides to take it. Looks like it would be inertia. Anyway, the gun moves uncontrolled off the seat.
    True, but I don't keep a round chambered if that makes you feel any better (and no ever gets in my car besides me)...It could fly out of my vehicle if in an accident as well...I recently started carrying it holstered on me than leaving it on the seat when driving.
    I think he's just looking out for you. Wouldn't want to mar the finish.

Seriously though, it's not about someone taking possession of the gun. A non-anchored sidearm can get away from you real fast in a moment of sudden acceleration in the direction OPPOSED to your velocity (such as: braking, hard braking, or crashing). Should you need it real fast, it may be just out of reach, necessitating more time and movements to get to it. And you can ruin the finish.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

why would you not keep a round chambered? You would need two hands to arm the weapon or you need to practice racking the gun off your belt or other fixed object. Depending on your rear sight, that may not work either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    why would you not keep a round chambered? You would need two hands to arm the weapon or you need to practice racking the gun off your belt or other fixed object. Depending on your rear sight, that may not work either.
    I use my teeth. That's how men rack their guns.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    I use my giant brass balls.

LOL Once they're clear of his teeth. Wouldn't want to break any teeth - on brass or gunmetal.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I know it's been said, but PLEASE start carrying with a round chambered. When you need it, you'll be glad you did!
    Unfriendly | Neutral | Friendly | OC Friendly

Rate the places you carry according to their 2A friendliness. Online or with free apps for iPhone and Android.

Proud sponsor of OpenCarry.org

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Please stand by one Mr. Road Rage, I need to fetch my gun from the floor and chamber a round. Then we can discuss whether or not you are going to maim me
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Letter of the law

Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    My recollection from drivers ed was that you are allowed to temporally exceed the speed limit in order to expedite passing a slow moving vehicle.
    When considering the black and white 'letter' of the law governing speed limits on US or State highways one may never 'legally' exceed the speed limit, even when passing another vehicle. In reality though, when passing another vehicle it's rather difficult to 'safely' pass unless one exceeds the speed limit for a short period of time. Considering the reality of safely traversing the highways most law enforcement personnel grant a few miles above the speed limit before they'll write a ticket. I suspect this officer, in this case, wouldn't have written a warning ticket had you not had a legally carried firearm in the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Pfft. My pistols are so manly they rack their own slides. Ain't no more difficult to them than lifting oneself over a fence by one's bootstraps.

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Pfft. My pistols are so manly they rack their own slides. Ain't no more difficult to them than lifting oneself over a fence by one's bootstraps.
    Or hoisting by their own petards, marshal me to knavery.

They bear the mandate; they must sweep my way
    And marshal me to knavery. Let it work;
    For 'tis the sport to have the enginer
    Hoist with his own petar'; and 't shall go hard
    But I will delve one yard below their mines
    And blow them at the moon: O, 'tis most sweet,
    When in one line two crafts directly meet.
    (Shakespeare, Hamlet, III 4 Line 2613)

Most of the officers I worked with would give 10 mph , some times they stop for a warning under 10 then rarely issue a citation for under 10.

But every once in a while a person stopped for 9 over would beg for a citation

Some people just open their mouths up and ask for a citation instead of a warning.

That conversation would normally start with the F word or at least in the first 4 or 5 words

Like I wasn't F--King speeding or F--k you I wasn't speeding or you can't give me a F--King ticket

Among many other conversations that they would beg for a citation.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 05-01-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Abuse of discretion

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Most of the officers I worked with would give 10 mph , some times they stop for a warning under 10 then rarely issue a citation for under 10.¶ But every once in a while a person stopped for 9 over would beg for a citation ¶
    Some people just open their mouths up and ask for a citation instead of a warning. ¶ That conversation would normally start with the F word or at least in the first 4 or 5 words ¶ Like I wasn't F--King speeding or F--k you I wasn't speeding or you can't give me a F--King ticket ¶ Among many other conversations that they would beg for a citation.
    Case closed, abuse of discretion for contempt of contemptible cop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast