Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: How do you open carry in a car

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2

    How do you open carry in a car

    So long story short I don't currently live in PA but am from PA and plan on returning to PA in the next 5 years or so. I have been looking around on OC in PA and haven't found much but found that you can but I have found something saying you have to have a permit if you carry in your car so I'm wondering for you guys that OC if you don't have a permit how do you OC while you are driving from your home to the store?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by holdenmonty View Post
    ...major portion of run-on sentence with no punctuation deleted...if you don't have a permit how do you OC while you are driving from your home to the store?
    Bottom line: If you don't have a license from any state, you don't carry (OC or CC) while in or on a vehicle (driving or riding, car/truck/horse/riding lawnmower/bicycle/bus/trolley/subway/whatever). There are exceptions, but going to or from the store isn't one of them (unless it's a gun store).

    Without a license, about all you can do is walk from your house to the store and return.


    18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    (13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
    Last edited by Statkowski; 04-10-2014 at 10:29 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Bottom line: If you don't have a license from any state, you don't carry (OC or CC) while in or on a vehicle (driving or riding, car/truck/horse/riding lawnmower/bicycle/bus/trolley/subway/whatever). There are exceptions, but going to or from the store isn't one of them (unless it's a gun store).

    Without a license, about all you can do is walk from your house to the store and return.


    18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    (13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
    Alright. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I will probably end up getting a CC permit here in Colorado since I don't plan of flying over to PA anytime soon.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Newmanstown, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1

    Great Open Carry message from PA Chief of Police Assoc.

    Quote Originally Posted by holdenmonty View Post
    So long story short I don't currently live in PA but am from PA and plan on returning to PA in the next 5 years or so. I have been looking around on OC in PA and haven't found much but found that you can but I have found something saying you have to have a permit if you carry in your car so I'm wondering for you guys that OC if you don't have a permit how do you OC while you are driving from your home to the store?
    I find this link covers the basics of open carry. It's a message from the PA Chiefs of Police Association to all law enforcement in PA. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...6uLRXTsaY851jg

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Moyer View Post
    I find this link covers the basics of open carry. It's a message from the PA Chiefs of Police Association to all law enforcement in PA. ...
    Welcome to OCDO. I have fond memories of Cochraneville, and of Chester County Sheriff Bunny that issued me my CCW permit.

    It is generally ill-advised to take legal advice from law enforcers not licensed to practice law, they are not bound to the truth or your interests as is your personal attorney by the ethical canons.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-14-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member jasonstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    17
    So, in PA, how do you transport your gun from your house to the shooting range or the woods to go hunting? Can you lock it in the trunk?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in PA
    Posts
    159
    You can transport an unloaded firearm to and from the range without a license. There is no need to lock anything in the trunk.

    The reasons and places where you can transport a firearm without a license are very limited. Lacking a license, you can not transport a firearm to a location where you want to OC.

    I recommended looking up PA 6016(b) for the times and places when a person can transport a firearm without a license.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; 06-02-2014 at 07:32 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in PA
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Welcome to OCDO. I have fond memories of Cochraneville, and of Chester County Sheriff Bunny that issued me my CCW permit.

    It is generally ill-advised to take legal advice from law enforcers not licensed to practice law, they are not bound to the truth or your interests as is your personal attorney by the ethical canons.
    It's a Police Chiefs Bulletin, with the information written by lawyers. Many LEO's do know the laws.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51
    now let me get this straight if I have a AZ. non resident permit I may open carry in a vehicle even though PA does not have reciprocity with non-resident permits?
    this is where it confuses me a bit.

    15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued
    license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under
    the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity
    agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state
    under section 6109(k), provided

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in PA
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by chocofan View Post
    now let me get this straight if I have a AZ. non resident permit I may open carry in a vehicle even though PA does not have reciprocity with non-resident permits?
    this is where it confuses me a bit.

    15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued
    license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under
    the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity
    agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state
    under section 6109(k), provided
    There is no "open carry" or concealed carry in a vehicle. Open or concealed carry applies to being outside a vehicle. Inside a vehicle is just that, inside a vehicle.

    Yes, current state law says if you have a valid and lawfully issued license or permit from another state, you are allowed to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle. However, if your license does not give you reciprocity with PA, the moment you step out of the vehicle the only way you can carry the handgun on your person is to open carry. This covers 99% of PA, since in Philly you would need a license with reciprocity to carry concealed or OC outside of your vehicle in Philly.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    There is no "open carry" or concealed carry in a vehicle. Open or concealed carry applies to being outside a vehicle. Inside a vehicle is just that, inside a vehicle.

    Yes, current state law says if you have a valid and lawfully issued license or permit from another state, you are allowed to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle. However, if your license does not give you reciprocity with PA, the moment you step out of the vehicle the only way you can carry the handgun on your person is to open carry. This covers 99% of PA, since in Philly you would need a license with reciprocity to carry concealed or OC outside of your vehicle in Philly.
    thank you Steve in PA very helpful, I don't want to keep pushing this any further but I do have a doubt on this part that reads : ( regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state) this is the way I understand it as long as you have a fire arms permit from any where you're ok? in most of PA.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    This covers 99% of PA, ...
    Pennsylvania minus Philadelphia is 99%? I had to check it out, and you're virtually correct.

    Pennsylvania takes up 46,055 square miles. Philadelphia takes up 143 square miles.

    Pennsylvania minus Philadelphia is 99.68951%.

  13. #13
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Huh???

    Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Pennsylvania minus Philadelphia is 99%? I had to check it out, and you're virtually correct.

    Pennsylvania takes up 46,055 square miles. Philadelphia takes up 143 square miles.

    Pennsylvania minus Philadelphia is 99.68951%.
    Me thinks,,, One of your numbers Is wrong! Or,,,,
    Your Math Sucks.....
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Me thinks,,, One of your numbers Is wrong! Or,,,,
    Your Math Sucks.....
    You didn't supply the correct answer. If you claim my number is wrong, you should have.

    I ran the numbers again, and this time I came up with:

    99.6895016827706003699123873629356% = Not Philadelphia.

    0.3104983172293996308761263706438% = Philadelphia.

  15. #15
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,, I'm a math dork...

    Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Pennsylvania minus Philadelphia is 99%? I had to check it out, and you're virtually correct.

    Pennsylvania takes up 46,055 square miles. Philadelphia takes up 143 square miles.

    Pennsylvania minus Philadelphia is 99.68951%.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Me thinks,,, One of your numbers Is wrong! Or,,,,
    Your Math Sucks.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    You didn't supply the correct answer. If you claim my number is wrong, you should have.

    I ran the numbers again, and this time I came up with:

    99.6895016827706003699123873629356% = Not Philadelphia.

    0.3104983172293996308761263706438% = Philadelphia.
    You are sooo right, and to such a high degree of accuracy! Oh my....

    I apologize for guestioning your math,,, your math was right on... so was mine.

    I had focused on that "99 %" number, wrongly..
    cause that would mean Phily needs to be 460 sq miles to = 1%, instead
    Phily at 143 sq miles = only .31%

    Sorry to diverge this thread tangent.
    Back to your regularly scheduled programming....
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •