• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you open carry in a car

holdenmonty

So long story short I don't currently live in PA but am from PA and plan on returning to PA in the next 5 years or so. I have been looking around on OC in PA and haven't found much but found that you can but I have found something saying you have to have a permit if you carry in your car so I'm wondering for you guys that OC if you don't have a permit how do you OC while you are driving from your home to the store?

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
...major portion of run-on sentence with no punctuation deleted...if you don't have a permit how do you OC while you are driving from your home to the store?

Bottom line: If you don't have a license from any state, you don't carry (OC or CC) while in or on a vehicle (driving or riding, car/truck/horse/riding lawnmower/bicycle/bus/trolley/subway/whatever). There are exceptions, but going to or from the store isn't one of them (unless it's a gun store).

Without a license, about all you can do is walk from your house to the store and return.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
(13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.

Last edited:

holdenmonty

Bottom line: If you don't have a license from any state, you don't carry (OC or CC) while in or on a vehicle (driving or riding, car/truck/horse/riding lawnmower/bicycle/bus/trolley/subway/whatever). There are exceptions, but going to or from the store isn't one of them (unless it's a gun store).

Without a license, about all you can do is walk from your house to the store and return.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
(13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.

Alright. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I will probably end up getting a CC permit here in Colorado since I don't plan of flying over to PA anytime soon.

Gregg Moyer

Great Open Carry message from PA Chief of Police Assoc.

So long story short I don't currently live in PA but am from PA and plan on returning to PA in the next 5 years or so. I have been looking around on OC in PA and haven't found much but found that you can but I have found something saying you have to have a permit if you carry in your car so I'm wondering for you guys that OC if you don't have a permit how do you OC while you are driving from your home to the store?

I find this link covers the basics of open carry. It's a message from the PA Chiefs of Police Association to all law enforcement in PA. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...NbC8nm15NlAOMKt3Q&sig2=EhBFGZ1-6uLRXTsaY851jg

jasonstorm

So, in PA, how do you transport your gun from your house to the shooting range or the woods to go hunting? Can you lock it in the trunk?

Steve in PA

You can transport an unloaded firearm to and from the range without a license. There is no need to lock anything in the trunk.

The reasons and places where you can transport a firearm without a license are very limited. Lacking a license, you can not transport a firearm to a location where you want to OC.

I recommended looking up PA 6016(b) for the times and places when a person can transport a firearm without a license.

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Welcome to OCDO. I have fond memories of Cochraneville, and of Chester County Sheriff Bunny that issued me my CCW permit.

It is generally ill-advised to take legal advice from law enforcers not licensed to practice law, they are not bound to the truth or your interests as is your personal attorney by the ethical canons.

It's a Police Chiefs Bulletin, with the information written by lawyers. Many LEO's do know the laws.

chocofan

now let me get this straight if I have a AZ. non resident permit I may open carry in a vehicle even though PA does not have reciprocity with non-resident permits?
this is where it confuses me a bit.

15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued
license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under
the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity
agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state
under section 6109(k), provided

Steve in PA

now let me get this straight if I have a AZ. non resident permit I may open carry in a vehicle even though PA does not have reciprocity with non-resident permits?
this is where it confuses me a bit.

15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued
license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under
the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity
agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state
under section 6109(k), provided

There is no "open carry" or concealed carry in a vehicle. Open or concealed carry applies to being outside a vehicle. Inside a vehicle is just that, inside a vehicle.

Yes, current state law says if you have a valid and lawfully issued license or permit from another state, you are allowed to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle. However, if your license does not give you reciprocity with PA, the moment you step out of the vehicle the only way you can carry the handgun on your person is to open carry. This covers 99% of PA, since in Philly you would need a license with reciprocity to carry concealed or OC outside of your vehicle in Philly.

chocofan

There is no "open carry" or concealed carry in a vehicle. Open or concealed carry applies to being outside a vehicle. Inside a vehicle is just that, inside a vehicle.

Yes, current state law says if you have a valid and lawfully issued license or permit from another state, you are allowed to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle. However, if your license does not give you reciprocity with PA, the moment you step out of the vehicle the only way you can carry the handgun on your person is to open carry. This covers 99% of PA, since in Philly you would need a license with reciprocity to carry concealed or OC outside of your vehicle in Philly.

thank you Steve in PA very helpful, I don't want to keep pushing this any further but I do have a doubt on this part that reads : ( regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state) this is the way I understand it as long as you have a fire arms permit from any where you're ok? in most of PA.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Me thinks,,, One of your numbers Is wrong! Or,,,,
Your Math Sucks.....

You didn't supply the correct answer. If you claim my number is wrong, you should have.

I ran the numbers again, and this time I came up with:

99.6895016827706003699123873629356% = Not Philadelphia.

0.3104983172293996308761263706438% = Philadelphia.

1245A Defender

Well,,, I'm a math dork...

Pennsylvania minus Philadelphia is 99%? I had to check it out, and you're virtually correct.

Pennsylvania takes up 46,055 square miles. Philadelphia takes up 143 square miles.

Pennsylvania minus Philadelphia is 99.68951%.

Me thinks,,, One of your numbers Is wrong! Or,,,,
Your Math Sucks.....

You didn't supply the correct answer. If you claim my number is wrong, you should have.

I ran the numbers again, and this time I came up with:

99.6895016827706003699123873629356% = Not Philadelphia.

0.3104983172293996308761263706438% = Philadelphia.

You are sooo right, and to such a high degree of accuracy! Oh my....

I apologize for guestioning your math,,, your math was right on... so was mine. :cool:

I had focused on that "99 %" number, wrongly..:banghead:
cause that would mean Phily needs to be 460 sq miles to = 1%, instead
Phily at 143 sq miles = only .31%

Sorry to diverge this thread tangent.
Back to your regularly scheduled programming....