• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

good guy dead .. still want to aid other people?

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...victim-west-hollywood-stabbing-254814311.html

The deputies mistakenly thought one of the men was the victim and the other the suspect, officials said. They opened fire, shooting and killing John Winkler, 30.

I guess the guys would have better off letting the knife welding guy kill them....

I guess victims should not run towards the police anymore ... they'll mistake you for a killer.

stealthyeliminator

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...victim-west-hollywood-stabbing-254814311.html

The deputies mistakenly thought one of the men was the victim and the other the suspect, officials said. They opened fire, shooting and killing John Winkler, 30.

I guess the guys would have better off letting the knife welding guy kill them....

I guess victims should not run towards the police anymore ... they'll mistake you for a killer.

You don't need to give them a reason to make a mistake, "they've" (certain specific officers, perhaps generally the majority of officers in certain departments) proven themselves perfectly capable of making these sort of mistakes all on their own.

onus

The original statement from the police was that the dead guy "aggressed towards the officers".

Ooops.

So when do the indictments come ? Never ? That's what I thought.

willy1094

That story was sickening. :cuss: You and I would have not justifiable excuse, they should have no excuse.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Best advice I had from a law enforcement friend of mine:

Best thing you can do:

1. Take care of business and holster your weapon.

2. Call 911.

3. Before law enforcement arrives, remove weapon, remove holster, unload weapon, and place both on the floor away from crime scene but in plain view.

4. Stand well back from the weapon before they arrive.

Worst thing you can do: Keep weapon in hand as the cops arrive and move towards cops.

We're all going to pick a course of action somewhere between the best and worse thing. Pick wisely.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Yes one has to be mindful of ones actions when the uniforms arrive

Being shot by LEO is just as bad as being shot by the BGs or worse LEO are more likely to carry better bullets.

Training preplanning and for thought goings along ways to help in these situations.

Unless one is clearly wearing a uniform that is readily recognizably as being a LEO (even then it pays to be care full)

Poor lighting, shots being fire, misinformation all can add up to the wrong person being shot not to say it is excusable but it really doesn't matter to you if your the one killed.

Be careful think and plan not all the good guys wear a blaze orange shirt with good guy written on and not all bad guys wear hoodies.