Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 new apps

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar

2 new apps

These two apps have become instant favorites of mine and I just had to share. I've only just started using them and I'm interested in discussion from others.

2A Friendly:
    Rate businesses you frequent.

iCitizen:
    Follow issues and legislation news, and voice your opinion.

μολών λαβέ
    Last edited by Liberty-or-Death; 04-10-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Be active.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty-or-Death View Post
    These two apps have become instant favorites of mine and I just had to share. I've only just started using them and I'm interested in discussion from others.

2A Friendly:
    Rate businesses you frequent.

iCitizen:
    Follow issues and legislation news, and voice your opinion.

μολών λαβέ
    I have installed 2A Friendly on my smartphone and found it easy to use and informative.
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 04-18-2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: To remove the images from the reply, saving bandwidth
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Thanks, we're sponsors of this forum and appreciate the feedback.

If you need anything at all or have issues, just contact us (links are in the app) and we'll respond quickly. We're working on an update for Android now - just released an iPhone bugfix release... so remember to grab updates as they happen. Thanks!
    Unfriendly | Neutral | Friendly | OC Friendly

Rate the places you carry according to their 2A friendliness. Online or with free apps for iPhone and Android.

Proud sponsor of OpenCarry.org

Just a quick suggestion, perhaps a box to check to denote that the establishment has some sign or posting that firearms are unwelcome.

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

Just a quick suggestion, perhaps a box to check to denote that the establishment has some sign or posting that firearms are unwelcome.

μολών λαβέ
    That's a good idea.

μολών λαβέ
    Not speaking for the software providers, but wouldn't categorizing an establishment as "Unfriendly" indicate that they don't allow firearms, whether they have a sign or not?
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection

Some won't post a sign, yet will ask you to leave.

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

Yep, there's a difference to me. Like Costco is unfriendly since they don't post a sign, so you pretty much only find out when they say something, and it's usually not to leave but just cover it. A sign is clear that you're not welcome if carrying.

μολών λαβέ
    Agreed - I like that idea too. It's on the big list of things we want to add

Rate the places you carry according to their 2A friendliness. Online or with free apps for iPhone and Android.

Quote Originally Posted by 2AFriendly View Post
    Thanks, we're sponsors of this forum and appreciate the feedback.

If you need anything at all or have issues, just contact us (links are in the app) and we'll respond quickly. We're working on an update for Android now - just released an iPhone bugfix release... so remember to grab updates as they happen. Thanks!
    Get rid of the account requirement. I have the app but don't use because of that
    Last edited by All American Nightmare; 04-18-2014 at 08:08 PM.

If GMTA, then also on your big list is the ability to see a list of one's own past ratings, the number of ratings an establishment has received, along with a "rating confidence" percentage. Gosh, the more I think about it, I'd love to be a regular contributor on this project, beyond the occasional rating.

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

Quote Originally Posted by All American Nightmare View Post
    Get rid of the account requirement. I have the app but don't use because of that
    Thanks for pointing this out, I won't even bother to download it is an account is required.

We will always require an account. It is too easy for spammers and tire-kickers to abuse something without a basic account set up procedure.

We figure anyone who cares enough to use the app, cares enough to set up a simple account.

Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out, I won't even bother to download it is an account is required.
    Why is that an issue?

I didn't find the account creation difficult or inconvenient.

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

We will always require an account. It is too easy for spammers and tire-kickers to abuse something without a basic account set up procedure.

We figure anyone who cares enough to use the app, cares enough to set up a simple account.
    And who is this info shared with?

Agree fully with the difference between "Unfriendly" and "Posted Unfriendly."

Legally armed citizens can still Conceal Carry in an "unfriendly" establishment that does not post a sign. However, legally armed citizens can not Conceal Carry in an "unfriendly" establishment that does post a sign. This is a significant difference the app should conspicuously account for.
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

Also, this thread may be best suited in one of the non state-specific forums, as it pertains to more than just the geography and laws of Virginia.
    Last edited by cirrusly; 04-22-2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Verbiage
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post

Legally armed citizens can still Conceal Carry in an "unfriendly" establishment that does not post a sign. However, legally armed citizens can not Conceal Carry in an "unfriendly" establishment that does post a sign. This is a significant difference the app should conspicuously account for.
    Can we make the distinction here between open and concealed carry?

While the statute does prohibit concealed carry:

Prohibited Conduct and Where Unlawful to Carry - Section 18.2-308.012
    Section 18.2-308.01: Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.

This statute refers specifically to where concealed carry by a CHP holder is prohibited from carrying.

There does not seem to be a parallel statute for open carry, since open carry does not require any kind of "permission slip." In that case the gun-buster sign would not seem to have any force of law attached to it, even though the owner could certainly ask/demand/tell an open carrier to leave and if they refused, could summon the police and formally trespass the open carrier.

All of that being said, no responsible person here on OCDO recommends carrying, openly or concealed, into a business that is posted. We strongly suggest that they spend their money at friendly locations. To that end, 2A Friendly is (IMO) a useful application.
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 04-22-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    All of that being said, no responsible person here on OCDO recommends carrying, openly or concealed, into a business that is posted. We strongly suggest that they spend their money at friendly locations. To that end, 2A Friendly is (IMO) a useful application.
    No one is disagreeing with that statement, but you're still missing the point.

IF an establishment is "not posted" could it still be marked as "unfriendly" in the app? If so, there's no distinction between: "unfriendly posted" and "unfriendly not posted," hence the issue and enhancement request.

"Not posted but unfriendly to carry" = CC can carry legally and wouldn't be asked to leave because no one could visibly see they are carrying.

"Posted and unfriendly to carry" = CC can not carry at all legally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If someone else wants to jump in with an example to explain the difference feel free...

And who is this info shared with?
    Nobody. The "info" is exactly your email address and username, which we don't advise using your real name. It's no different that a user account here on this forum.

It's significance varies state-by-state according to the signage laws. We technically make a point to keep track of where a person's gun is not wanted, as opposed to the legality of carry at that location; we agree and believe the addition of the "sign" checkbox will help in the states where this matters.

Also - yeah, this thread is off track for the specifics for the Virginia forum

No one is disagreeing with that statement, but you're still missing the point.

IF an establishment is "not posted" could it still be marked as "unfriendly" in the app? If so, there's no distinction between: "unfriendly posted" and "unfriendly not posted," hence the issue and enhancement request.

"Not posted but unfriendly to carry" = CC can carry legally and wouldn't be asked to leave because no one could visibly see they are carrying.

"Posted and unfriendly to carry" = CC can not carry at all legally.

If you carry into an unposted establishment and someone with proper authority objects and asks/demands/tells you to leave because they have observed your carrying -- whether openly or poorly concealed -- then the establishment should be marked "Unfriendly." If an establishment is posted, they should automatically be marked as "Unfriendly." If you are carrying and no one with proper authority objects, then for that visit it's up to the reviewer to decide whether to rate them as Neutral, Friendly, or Open Carry Friendly.

IIRC, a particular establishment's rating is dependent on the preponderance of reviews, e.g., if 15 people review a place as "Friendly" but one carrier had an unfriendly experience, the place would still be considered as "Friendly?"

Please note that the paid subscription to 2AFriendly allows for comments to be entered for a given review where specific situational comments can be entered.

Can we get a comment on this whole issue from the software developers?
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

[snip]
    We technically make a point to keep track of where a person's gun is not wanted, as opposed to the legality of carry at that location; we agree and believe the addition of the "sign" checkbox will help in the states where this matters.
    Makes sense. It is very difficult to keep track of every jurisdiction's laws on the legal force of 'proper' postings. I agree that a "Posted" checkoff on the site may be useful, but each user should already understand what that means in his/her jurisdiction. Just as you make a distinction between 'Friendly' and 'Open Carry Friendly,' reviews should be taken as information only and not legal guidance.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

..we agree and believe the addition of the "sign" checkbox will help in the states where this matters.
    +1 Yes, exactly. That is the type of functionality I was inquiring about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast