• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ReadyHolster yay or nay?

Kevin Gibbs

Does anyone use a ready holster from readyholster.com? Does anyone have any good or bad stories about them? Overall, would you trust your life to one, in regard to firearm retrivel?

markand

I haven't used this specific brand of holster, but I do have similar holsters in one of my huge tubs of holsters, and, in the interest of full disclosure, I am an NRA and Utah certified instructor, which does NOT by any means make me the ultimate holster expert.

So with that out of the way, the holsters on their web site all appear to be soft nylon holsters with retention straps. On the plus side, these holsters are inexpensive and can be used with a wide variety of handguns. This is because they're soft and flexible and thus often hold guns they weren't even specifically designed for.

The generic problem I've had with soft nylon holsters is that they ARE soft and flexible and don't hold the gun securely in the holster. A retention strap is required to hold the gun in the holster. Guns often move around while they're in the holster, again, because the holster is soft and flexible. Photos on their web site of the narrow, single belt loop, or metal clip, suggests strongly that the holster will have a tendency to flop around on your belt and isn't held securely to your belt (the holster easily slides along the belt). All of this creates a situation where, when you reach for the gun, the holster isn't held in a secure and predictable location on your belt, AND the grip of the gun in the holster can move around, making it more difficult to get a firm grip when you need the gun for self defense. The video on the readyholster.com website shows EXACTLY this kind of flopping around as the gun is being drawn.

Further, those retention straps could be problematic when re-holstering as the flexible strap could enter the trigger guard and pull the trigger as you're re-holstering. Oops!

You didn't mention the type of holster you're considering. If you're thinking of an inside the waistband type, consider that a soft nylon holster will collapse from the tension of your belt. In order to holster, or re-holster, you going to have to put your fingers in front of, or awfully darn close to, the muzzle of your loaded firearm in order to open the holster mouth and get the gun into the holster.

A good kydex (plastic) holster isn't going to be much more expensive than a soft nylon holster (perhaps $50). A quality leather holster will be more expensive ($100 more or less). Either will give you a platform where the gun stays in place on your belt and the firearm is firmly held, so when you reach for it, the grip will be right there where it always was when you practiced your draw and presentation (and by all means practice frequently). So, bottom line, in my opinion, there are other holster options that will serve you better.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Generic, non-stiff holster with no reinforced mouth for easy & 1-handed reholstering, secured to you by a metal cip of unknown quality? Maybe, until I saved up money for a better holster.

But that's just me. I know folks who have used the basic style since forever. But they tend (wisely IMHO) to replace them as soon as they start getting soft and floppy.

YMMV.

By "firearm retrivel [sic]" do you mean being able to get it out of the holster and into action in a timely, efficient, and effective manner? Or perhaps you meant to discuss retention? Or do you know how to teach handguns to fetch stuff? Kind of confused here.

stay safe.

Kevin Gibbs

Generic, non-stiff holster with no reinforced mouth for easy & 1-handed reholstering, secured to you by a metal cip of unknown quality? Maybe, until I saved up money for a better holster.

But that's just me. I know folks who have used the basic style since forever. But they tend (wisely IMHO) to replace them as soon as they start getting soft and floppy.

YMMV.

By "firearm retrivel [sic]" do you mean being able to get it out of the holster and into action in a timely, efficient, and effective manner? Or perhaps you meant to discuss retention? Or do you know how to teach handguns to fetch stuff? Kind of confused here.

stay safe.

I meant the ability to get the firearm out under duress.

Kevin Gibbs

Skidmark, where would I be able to purchase a Kydex holster for a Jimenez JA9? And as for the type of holster I'm looking for a side holster to be Worn on my belt out in the open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Do upgrade the firearm when circumstances permit. Jimenez, the reincarnation of the Bryco/Jennings line of so-called "Saturday night specials", are about the bottom of the barrel.

Most folks will tell you that even a Hi-Point is a big step up, for a similar price.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Skidmark, where would I be able to purchase a Kydex holster for a Jimenez JA9? And as for the type of holster I'm looking for a side holster to be Worn on my belt out in the open.

Why are you asking me? I never mentioned kydex.

If you are going to be snarky, at least make sure you are snarky at the right poster.

In case there remains any confusion, I am not, and never was, the right poster to get snarky at about kydex.

stay safe.

markand

Sorry, that was my fault. That was meant for markand, I must be out in left field...
It thought it might be difficult to find a holster, either leather or kydex for that Jimenez. A quick Internet search turned up several sources, including a bunch for the Jimenez on eBay, although none that I saw were kydex belt holsters. Try searching the Internet using "kydex holster, Jimenez" as the search term. See of there's a custom kydex holster maker in your area. Here in northern Virginia, the Nation's Gun Show has a custom kydex holster maker who will make custom holsters for pretty much any gun right on the spot.

As Marshaul noted, it would be a good idea to upgrade to a higher quality, more reliable handgun as soon circumstances permit.