• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

King McAuliffe denies Free Speech permit on Capital Grounds -- Lobby Day Implications

davidmcbeth

Banned
In my state, a single person can make a rule...different states, different ways of making rules. I'm guessing its the same in your state. Normally rules are voted on but they don't have to be.

CGS Sec. 1-2(a)
(e) In lieu of or in addition to the promulgation of separate regulations the presiding officers of each house may promulgate joint regulations applicable to both houses.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Price Is Right

Well, they are not rules. They are subject to regulations. rules do not equal regulation.

Do words matter? Sure do.

In words immortalized by Bob Barker . "Come on down!"

Wonder if you know what the "rule" is on carrying in the gallery of the senate chamber.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

To advocate using force against the government is a serious violation of Forum Rules.

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

*deep sigh* Very well then

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In my state, a single person can make a rule...different states, different ways of making rules. I'm guessing its the same in your state. Normally rules are voted on but they don't have to be.

CGS Sec. 1-2(a)
(e) In lieu of or in addition to the promulgation of separate regulations the presiding officers of each house may promulgate joint regulations applicable to both houses.

You see David, therein lies the problem. We are not talking about your state. Don't guess.

Regulations are found in the Virginia Administrative Code and are subject to public input before being adopted/approved by state agencies.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+men+SRR

"Rules" are not subject to the same type of public input as are the regulations of the various agencies of the Commonwealth.

We have senate rules, house rules, and joint legislative rules. The executive mansion has rules pertaining to it.

Take off you hat and don't wear shorts to court - you might run head long into a rule.

I find it interesting/telling that you think these do not have the force of law in Virginia because of your experiences in Connecticut.

Logan 5

The offer still stands.

You decided to stick your body parts into a discussion of Virginia politics and legislative practices based on what some yahoos do somewhere else. Well, maybe a bit of instruction in the difference between how things operate in Virginia as opposed to either Connecticut or davidmvbeth's la-la land might be just the thing for you.

For the sake of making sure you understand (difficult as that might be) - the discussion has been about rules. A rule coming from the Joint House-Senate Rules Committee of the Virginia General Assembly. Not something from any other state's legislature, which would have absolutely no bearing on the discussion.

Bring your A-game and an overnight bag or remove your body parts from the discussion.

stay safe.

I like how you say that. It's just trickling with love! ;)

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
You see David, therein lies the problem. We are not talking about your state. Don't guess.

Regulations are found in the Virginia Administrative Code and are subject to public input before being adopted/approved by state agencies.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+men+SRR

"Rules" are not subject to the same type of public input as are the regulations of the various agencies of the Commonwealth.

We have senate rules, house rules, and joint legislative rules. The executive mansion has rules pertaining to it.

Take off you hat and don't wear shorts to court - you might run head long into a rule.

I find it interesting/telling that you think these do not have the force of law in Virginia because of your experiences in Connecticut.

How DARE you question the Great and Powerful McBeth!?!? The all-knowing guru of all state laws, rules, regulations and "how it should be" in every state!

Save some popcorn for me, Grape... this would be fun to watch, but we both know he won't show...

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
How DARE you question the Great and Powerful McBeth!?!? The all-knowing guru of all state laws, rules, regulations and "how it should be" in every state!

Save some popcorn for me, Grape... this would be fun to watch, but we both know he won't show...

I just see a lot of people discussing rules and regulations without citing them. I am not seeking out a rule or regulation that someone else is referring to ~ I am not a mind reader.

If I DID cite a VA cite, then I would get back "that's not what I am talking about" .. and that may be true because nobody knew what the person was talking about.

Examining other state's laws? Nothing wrong with that .. maybe lead to change in you own state laws.

Someone did cite a regulation ... later ... I appreciated the cite.

Many people use terminology that is confusing. Said it was a rule, then someone posted that its a regulation. They are different and its the differences that can make all the difference.

Have a good Easter folks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Aah so, but you see we did know what we were talking about - the statutes, regulations and rules with which we deal regularly and with an intimate knowledge of their relationship, the pitfalls for the unwary.

Often it is better to ask than to tell when playing in someone elses's backyard.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I just see a lot of people discussing rules and regulations without citing them. I am not seeking out a rule or regulation that someone else is referring to ~ I am not a mind reader.

If I DID cite a VA cite, then I would get back "that's not what I am talking about" .. and that may be true because nobody knew what the person was talking about.

Examining other state's laws? Nothing wrong with that .. maybe lead to change in you own state laws.

Someone did cite a regulation ... later ... I appreciated the cite.

Many people use terminology that is confusing. Said it was a rule, then someone posted that its a regulation. They are different and its the differences that can make all the difference.

Have a good Easter folks.

Let's be very clear about things:

I cited a regulation.

peter nap cited a rule.

I double-dog dare you to try and bring policies and procedures into the discussion.

And I triple yellow dog dare you to take up my offer of a bus ticket, overnight lodging, dinner Sunday night and breakfast Monday morning to attend Lobby Day 2014 so you can show all of us just exactly how things work around here.

stay safe.

Logan 5

To advocate using force against the government is a serious violation of Forum Rules.

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Good idea Grape. BTW, when I was going through a box I hadn't unpacked yet (after moving a couple years ago????) I found the incident report to n arrest I had. For calling a cop a pig. AS he was driving down the road.

So based on what you said, since freedom of speech is no longer legal....

When you make generalized statements like that Grape, it can come back and bite you. In the case of the post you were admonishing what he said is correct. You do have certain rights that are inalienable, self-defense is supposed to be one of them.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Good idea Grape. BTW, when I was going through a box I hadn't unpacked yet (after moving a couple years ago????) I found the incident report to n arrest I had. For calling a cop a pig. AS he was driving down the road.

When you make generalized statements like that Grape, it can come back and bite you. In the case of the post you were admonishing what he said is correct. You do have certain rights that are inalienable, self-defense is supposed to be one of them.

It's not a freedom of speech issue Logan. This is a private site, owned and paid for by John Pierce. This is his home in essence and you either live by HIS rules or take it on the road. You do not have the right to say what you please in someone else's house.
He has elected to not discuss those things here.

I don't really disagree with it. We are and have been in a very delicate public relations position for a long time now.

When the motorcycle groups start refusing to wear Guns Save Lives stickers at lobby day to avoid being associated with gun owners....even they are gun owners and believe in the right, we need to start looking at our public image.

Now I expect you're going to tell me you have the right to say what you want here. Many do and I won't argue the point. I was just explaining why it won't happen here.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

--snip--

Freedom of speech is no longer legal?......Really?

Sigh
, OK let's put things in the proper perspective.

OCDO is the private property of Mike & John. They can and do set rules and limitations on what is discussed here and how - rule 15 is one of those so it is not a "generalized statement." We promote open carry. We defend RKBA. We do not advocate breaking the law.

It is my job to try to maintain a semblance of order on the forum through the rules and called decisions. There are various levels of response to those that would stray too far.

Logan 5

You and Peter BOTH missed it.

Here, let me hold your hand while I explain this to you....

I NEVER QUESTIONED MIKE OR JOHN AND THEIR OWNERSHIP OF THIS SITE.

I was using it as an example. IF you read what I wrote, along with the original post, you would see that.

You see....
you said you advocate for the law-abiding only. You said that yourself. I never questioned John or Mike, and since the post I was referencing said nothing about freedom of speech....

Never mind. You still won't get it.

Why don't you put on the main page that self-defense is illegal therefore you will not support it? After all, a cop said it's not...right?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You and Peter BOTH missed it.

Here, let me hold your hand while I explain this to you....

I NEVER QUESTIONED MIKE OR JOHN AND THEIR OWNERSHIP OF THIS SITE.

I was using it as an example. IF you read what I wrote, along with the original post, you would see that.

You see....
you said you advocate for the law-abiding only. You said that yourself. I never questioned John or Mike, and since the post I was referencing said nothing about freedom of speech....

Never mind. You still won't get it.

Why don't you put on the main page that self-defense is illegal therefore you will not support it? After all, a cop said it's not...right?

Missed nothing, nor will you hold my hand. Drop the individual (personal pronoun) "you" - I quoted the forum rule. Further, yes you did make it a freedom of speech issue. Now you fallaciously suggest that OCDO does not support self-defense and that you are not challenging the forum owners.

BTW - use of oversize font is considered yelling and rude.

Patience has expired - formal warning.