• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Change in CCW Law

Bermoch13

Hi guys,
New to OpenCarry.org and to Colorado. Quick question. I know this site is about open carry but a coworker was saying that Colorado may be changing CCW laws to those similar to what Arizona went to. Any truth to that?
Any problems ocing in the Falcon area?

cch10000

I sure hope not because our laws are much better than AZ, ie can't carry in a restuarnt that SELLS alcohol can't carry in a polling place I hope we keep what we have

SteveInCO

Arizona appears to be better in terms of "what sort of legal hoops must I jump through to be able to carry concealed" while worse on where you may do so. I could well imagine an Arizonan saying their state is better and a Coloradoan retorting that no, ours is better, depending on whether you care more about bars or having to get a permit.

There was indeed a bill before the legislature that would basically have said any state resident (meeting certain minimal conditions that amount to "being legal to possess a gun in the first place") could behave just as if he had a CCW. It was killed by the "kill committee" That would have been a huge improvement, and made things unambiguously better here than than Arizona. (I do have to wonder why this bill didn't simply attempt repeal the prohibition against CC (for which having a permit is an exception) rather than just add another exception to it that practically nullifies the whole thing. But that's a different question.)

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
To answer the original question, is there an effort to change Colorado's CCW laws.

The answer is yes.
But the thread got derailed into discussion of what Arizona's laws permit or forbid. That discussion is really irrelevant.
What is being proposed for Colorado is what is known as Constitutional Carry. In essence, anybody legally eligible to purchase a handgun ought to be able to carry open or concealed without being required to obtain a permit to do so. This would be similar to the current laws now in place in Arizona, Alaska, Wyoming and another state or two.

The legislation, introduced by Jared Wright of Fruita and Chris Holbert of Parker is called House Bill 1041 (HB1041)
It simply eliminates the requirement to carry a permit in order to possess concealed weapons.
Kinda like what the Constitution originally had in mind.
There would still be a permit scheme for those travelling to other states, so you could have a permit,
but it would not be required to have a permit to carry concealed within Colorado.

Wright told gjsentinel.com:

“This is in essence allowing law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed handgun without being subjected to criminal laws,” Wright said. “Now let me tell you what this bill does not do. This bill does not authorize the carrying of concealed handguns by felons, the mentally ill, juveniles or anyone otherwise prohibited from possessing handguns under state or federal law.”

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2014/02/constitutional-carry-being-considered-in-colorado/#ixzz2zK5IWzNi
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

The whole discussion of Arizona's laws prohibiting carry in restaurants serving alcohol and such is irrelevant to the basic concept: Constitutional Carry!

This measure is entirely unlikely to pass the Colorado legislature, given the anti-gun sentiment presently holding sway.
However, once Hickenlooper and some of those now holding office in the legislature are sent packing, maybe we'll get that change accomplished.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

SteveInCO

Howdy Folks!
To answer the original question, is there an effort to change Colorado's CCW laws.

The answer is yes.

[...]

“This is in essence allowing law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed handgun without being subjected to criminal laws,” Wright said. “Now let me tell you what this bill does not do. This bill does not authorize the carrying of concealed handguns by felons, the mentally ill, juveniles or anyone otherwise prohibited from possessing handguns under state or federal law.”

M-Taliesin

There are basically three things I want out of the legislature: 1) Repeal the bulls*** they passed last year. 2) Constitutional carry (though my comment from before applies--why did they do it by making an all-encompassing-exception to the prior law rather than just repeal it)? 3) Pre-empt Denver's sorry ass on Open Carry, since the courts won't do their job.

[edit: And i remembered #4: Overturn the amendment (which wasn't an amendment, it was a statute voted in by referendum) mandating background checks at gun shows; which would still be in effect if they repealed the universal check from last year.]

Last edited: