• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mother's who open carry

Craftymommy

I have a few questions and feel it is best for women to answer seeing as I am a woman:)

First, what do you typically wear when you carry? I want to wear dresses and skirts as it is getting to high 80's and 90's already where I live in Las Vegas. However my current holster needs a belt which need belt loops and that doesn't work for dresses or skirts.

Second, does anyone have experience carrying while pregnant? I am currently 4 months along and have a bump already so it won't be long before I am huge. However I still want to carry, even with as little as I go out (stay at home mom with own business) and even less without my husband who always carries.

Third, I have two young kids with a third on the way. I want to use a sling or some other body carrier for the infant when he arrives that way I don't have to lug around the carrier car seat and my hands are free for my other two. However it seems like most body carriers would interfere with OC on my hip. Has anyone gone through this and what did you do?

I am planning in getting my conceal carry permit(ccw) which would solve pretty much all three things I am concerned over, however I don't feel up to an 8 hour class while pregnant. I can barely remember what day it is let alone wake up in the morning to work! So I am sticking to OC, I go out once or twice a week for errands and shopping, and that is with the husband but like today I went out alone. Two weeks ago I went out just me and the kids. Which happens maybe every few months. I am a major home body , obviously, but still want to exercise my rights!

Thank you:)

Last edited:

Gallowmere

My wife is leaning toward a thigh holster that could go underneath the dresses that she wears during this time of year.

From the same woman skidmark mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNL5pqn3Eng

Since the wife carries a Ruger LC9, the weight of the gun would be no problem. I couldn't see something like this working for a heavy ass 1911 though. ;)
If you're not worried about weird looks, and have no need to CC, a shoulder rig could work fine. I don't see many women (or anyone really) using them too often anymore though.

EDIT: Oh, and this weird ass bra holster...but I can't imagine that would be even remotely comfortable in high temperatures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72aeGdKmZw

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

First off, I'll say that I am a male, and as such have never and will never experience pregnancy firsthand. The closest I will ever come is gaining a lot of weight and getting stomach cramps from eating too fast.:lol: So no disrespect, and please bear with me:

Here's one idea that could work if you currently use a stroller, just add magazine carriers and cup holders::p
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2011/11/01/tactical-baby-strollers/

In all seriousness though, I'd imagine that as the baby grows, belts will no longer be an option, and a thigh rig could be too much to hope for since it REQUIRES a belt to work (Catch 22 in that case:().

So far, the shoulder holster idea seems like the most promising, if only because any change in chest and shoulder dimensions is minimal compared to the change around the belly.

One option that comes to mind is the chest rig, which holds the gun over the upper portion of the belly (right around the sternum, where a "^" shape is formed by the ribs). The straps seem to go around the upper torso, under the arms. Something like this:
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Versa-Harness-HolsterAccessory-Platform,1884,1578.htm

Add.:
BUT, I seem to have spoken too soon. Ninth photo down, a lady carries a 1911 on her hip during her 7th month of pregnancy:
http://www.gunthorp.com/holsters for women.htm
She also shows a shoulder holster (1st photo), and small-of-the-back carry.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Excellent site for expectant mothers and those with children already - discusses the problems and solutions.

Armed and Pregnant
The guide to carrying a firearm while pregnant.
http://armedpregnancy.blogspot.com/

How about something like this for both before and after the baby is born?
Would likely have to be custom made and could be done in more fashionable colors.

PistolPackingMomma

I have a few questions and feel it is best for women to answer seeing as I am a woman:)

First, what do you typically wear when you carry? I want to wear dresses and skirts as it is getting to high 80's and 90's already where I live in Las Vegas. However my current holster needs a belt which need belt loops and that doesn't work for dresses or skirts.

Second, does anyone have experience carrying while pregnant? I am currently 4 months along and have a bump already so it won't be long before I am huge. However I still want to carry, even with as little as I go out (stay at home mom with own business) and even less without my husband who always carries.

Congrats and hi Craftymommy! I created a short thread on carrying while pregnant with my last one, which you can see here. It may or may not be helpful, as I live in a strict CC only state (blah!) but you can peruse it for ideas. Youtube users Faliaphotography and Limalife have good videos; the last one also has a few pregnancy carry ones.

Third, I have two young kids with a third on the way. I want to use a sling or some other body carrier for the infant when he arrives that way I don't have to lug around the carrier car seat and my hands are free for my other two. However it seems like most body carriers would interfere with OC on my hip. Has anyone gone through this and what did you do?

I used a Moby wrap and tied it so it rode a bit higher than my Blackhawk when I OC'd at home. It's completely adjustable, which is nice, but is a PITA to put on sometimes. If I had to go out somewhere with my kids, I put it on at the house and then I could slip the little one into it when we arrived. Gets WARM though.

I am planning in getting my conceal carry permit(ccw) which would solve pretty much all three things I am concerned over, however I don't feel up to an 8 hour class while pregnant. I can barely remember what day it is let alone wake up in the morning to work! So I am sticking to OC, I go out once or twice a week for errands and shopping, and that is with the husband but like today I went out alone. Two weeks ago I went out just me and the kids. Which happens maybe every few months. I am a major home body , obviously, but still want to exercise my rights!

Thank you:)

I sympathize with you; I'm seven months along with my third right now, and my memory is pretty much a figment of imagination. I have been CC'ing with a bellyband holster for the first two trimesters, but now it's primarily my shoulder rig, as anything around my waist is just too uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Craftymommy

Congrats and hi Craftymommy! I created a short thread on carrying while pregnant with my last one, which you can see here. It may or may not be helpful, as I live in a strict CC only state (blah!) but you can peruse it for ideas. Youtube users Faliaphotography and Limalife have good videos; the last one also has a few pregnancy carry ones.

I used a Moby wrap and tied it so it rode a bit higher than my Blackhawk when I OC'd at home. It's completely adjustable, which is nice, but is a PITA to put on sometimes. If I had to go out somewhere with my kids, I put it on at the house and then I could slip the little one into it when we arrived. Gets WARM though.

I sympathize with you; I'm seven months along with my third right now, and my memory is pretty much a figment of imagination. I have been CC'ing with a bellyband holster for the first two trimesters, but now it's primarily my shoulder rig, as anything around my waist is just too uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Thank you! I am so relieved to know I am not alone with carrying and expecting:lol: moby wraps look so comfy but I agree such a pain. I tried a sling with my youngest but he was too big by the time I could use it with him, that and the fact sling types are not all too safe I guess with newborns. I tried searching last night but couldn't find anything on here, so I posted my own. I guess I didn't search the right words!

Craftymommy

Excellent site for expectant mothers and those with children already - discusses the problems and solutions.

Armed and Pregnant
The guide to carrying a firearm while pregnant.
http://armedpregnancy.blogspot.com/

How about something like this for both before and after the baby is born?
Would likely have to be custom made and could be done in more fashionable colors.

I am going to check out that blog today, thanks! And the holster would be something I could make easily enough but it seems a little awkward for me but I guess I won't know till I try:)

PistolPackingMomma

Thank you! I am so relieved to know I am not alone with carrying and expecting:lol: moby wraps look so comfy but I agree such a pain. I tried a sling with my youngest but he was too big by the time I could use it with him, that and the fact sling types are not all too safe I guess with newborns. I tried searching last night but couldn't find anything on here, so I posted my own. I guess I didn't search the right words!

I have been meaning to get a baby bjorn carrier; apparently they are the best for the little ones hips. Haven't been able to try it with any holsters though, so I'm not sure how it will work out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am going to check out that blog today, thanks! And the holster would be something I could make easily enough but it seems a little awkward for me but I guess I won't know till I try:)

Would seem to me that a real holster could be added to that either in strong side or cross draw.

I have absolutely no personal experience on the matter though :)

Craftymommy

I have been meaning to get a baby bjorn carrier; apparently they are the best for the little ones hips. Haven't been able to try it with any holsters though, so I'm not sure how it will work out.

I have one similar to the bjorn, I bought it because of the whole hip thing too, but it is almost impossible for me to put on alone as it buckles in my upper back as well as lower but the upper cannot be done without the baby in the carrier already. And I need two hands to do it and if one is holding the baby up well that doesn't work.

I was looking at the armed pregnancy blog and only found for the first 8 weeks but did find a video on carrying an infant. Said infant was probably 8 months though so doesn't help with a newborn. However it looked like she carried more towards 5 o clock Bt also conceal. Right now I have it at 3 o clock right on my hip because that is where it is comfortable. I may have to get my ccw to just make my life easier but that will be at least 3 months before I get it and I will be about 7months pregnant, or further by then. Time to get creative I guess:) good thing I like sewing haha!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just as a point of reference, here is a link to the original:
http://www.babybjorn.com/baby-carriers/baby-carrier-original/

Link to the new and improved with back support:
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/new-mom-dad/babybjorn-baby-carrier-active-black/silver-026165u-2749010

I would guess that this could be very warm when outside in a humid or very hot day though.

Looks to me that a thigh rig/drop holster could be added to this (molle?) and cause the handgun to be about at the normal hip level and out of the child's reach. The drop rig webbing might need some stiffener to keep it from swinging or maybe a tie down as in a western rig.

We gots ideas - hope you find a satisfactory solution - might be the start of a cottage industry for you.

WalkingWolf

If you intend on open carrying maybe try a bandoleer/shoulder holster. Much more comfortable, and easy to take on and off than a shoulder holster. I have made two for my wife, she does not like having to take her gun off when going to public rest rooms. One is a conceal holster but can be worn open, the other is clearly a open carry rig, that uses any clip type holster. I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow. They are very simply made, easy enough for just about anybody.

What gun are you wanting to carry if I missed it somewhere in the posts?