Thread: OpenCarry.org's Mile Stollenwerk predicts open carry will pass in Texas

Moderator / Administrator

OpenCarry.org's Mile Stollenwerk predicts open carry will pass in Texas

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-onlin...s#.U0s-m0nD_IU

SNIP

Texas' open carry ban linked to 'Wild West' days, similar to more liberal states

Posted: April 13, 2014 - 5:39pm

By Enrique Rangel

AUSTIN BUREAU

AUSTIN — Thanks to its frontier heritage and the number of Texans with concealed handgun permits — more than 600,000 as of last year — Texas is considered a gun-friendly state.. . .

Although interpretations of state laws vary among pro-gun groups such as the National Rifle Association and Open.Carry.org, carrying firearms in full view is specifically allowed in 17 states, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Most others let local governments decide whether to impose restrictions.

However, Texas and five other states — California, Florida, Illinois, New York and South Carolina — as well as the District of Columbia, don’t allow open carry, according to Open.Carry.org, a website created 10 years ago to focus on “the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.”

“It’s hard to understand that Southern states like Texas, Florida and South Carolina are in the same group with California, Illinois, New York and the District of Columbia,” co-founder Mike Stollenwerk said in a phone interview. “It’s really strange.”

However, the attention the issue is getting again is encouraging, and open carry legislation will finally pass in next year’s session, Stollenwerk, a former Texas resident, predicted.

. . .

Moderator / Administrator

OpenCarry.org's Mike Stollenwerk says “The handgun needs to be liberated in Texas!”

San Antonio Express, April 2014

Texas at center of storm over open carry

http://www.expressnews.com/news/loca...5399535.php#/0

SNIP

In Texas, although a concealed carry law has been on the books since 1995, legislators have failed repeatedly to repeal the ban on openly carrying handguns.

Now both gubernatorial candidates, Democrat Wendy Davis and Republican Greg Abbott, say they support open carry of handguns, and advocates predict it will win approval sooner or later.

“The handgun needs to be liberated in Texas,” said Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of 30,000-member Opencarry.org, the closest thing to a national-movement clearinghouse for the issue. “With the big candidates saying they agree, maybe it's time.”

. . .

Advocates on both sides of the issue say the open-carry ban on handguns in Texas is a vestige of Jim Crow laws dating back to the 19th century that were aimed at disarming freed slaves. This legacy helps explain why Southern states, though firmly pro-gun, often restrict open carry.

“The fact is it's the South where we're playing cleanup,” Stollenwerk said.

I would totally agree. Texas, despite the reputation, is behind in freedom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unfriendly | Neutral | Friendly | OC Friendly

Rate the places you carry according to their 2A friendliness. Online or with free apps for iPhone and Android.

Proud sponsor of OpenCarry.org

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    There is tons of support from the people for open carry. I think that people are beginning to wake up to the fact that these laws are wrong, and they're becoming more and more vocal about getting them changed. I am glad to know that opencarry.org is keeping an eye on the happenings in Texas. I am optimistic for 2015.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 04-16-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    There is tons of support from the people for open carry. I think that people are beginning to wake up to the fact that these laws are wrong, and they're becoming more and more vocal about getting them changed. I am glad to know that opencarry.org is keeping an eye on the happenings in Texas. I am optimistic for 2015.
    Of course there is!! Why else would "Abortion Wendy" be supporting it? She is trying desperately to blunt the issues that can be used against her. Typical Democrap!
    Last edited by F350; 04-16-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Hey, I'll be pleased if Texas wants to break up with California and actually become a pro-gun state.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    That will put an end to my replies that "you can't do this in Texas" when people tell me this isn't Texas for OC'ing......and gladly so...good luck Texan!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    I hope that your prediction is accurate. I believe it is.
    Advocate freedom please

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    And so it did. Should be common knowledge by now that OC will be legal in Texas 1/1/16.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

30 days and counting

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    30 29 days and counting
    FIFY
    CC until the ball falls at midnight and then judiciously change to OC.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-03-2015 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    FIFY
    CC until the ball falls at midnight and then judiciously change to OC.
    28 days!!!

Two more days!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    Two more days!
    When the ball falls at the stroke of midnight - welcome 2016 and OC!
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-30-2015 at 07:03 AM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    When the ball falls at the stroke of midnight - welcome 2016 and OC!
    December has 31 days....... ;-)
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Just realized the folks closer to El Paso will have to wait one hour longer--since it's Mountain time zone there.

Quote Originally Posted by qednick View Post
    Just realized the folks closer to El Paso will have to wait one hour longer--since it's Mountain time zone there.
    If they were to leave now by any available transport, they could reach a better time sooner.

Just drive to midland/odessa - about 5 hours

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

the TX suburb of Ciudad Juárez are allowed firearms ~ oh wait, that's right Ciudad Juárez participated in the FBI's firearm program...and without forcing anybody to participate in NICS checks...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain