Thread: Litter clean up May 4th Roseville

Litter clean up May 4th Roseville

Where- National Coney Island in Roseville located just off I696 at 27027 Gratiot
    When- 5:00 PM Sunday, May 4th
    What- Dinner followed by walking north as far as we want picking up trash on the sidewalk and grass, no medians due to danger from cars.
    Bring- gloves and bags, and of course a lawfully carried handgun if you are so inclined.

5 years ago we did this exact event (we even ate breakfast with the local cops and chatted with them for a while), and it occurred to me today when I was driving down Gratiot looking at all the trash that it's a good time to do another one.
    Last edited by Michigander; 04-30-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Great idea! Hope it goes well. We did one on I-94 in Macomb Co near 21 mile rd a few years back . It was amazing to see the objects people can manage to chuck out of a vehicle going 80mph!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Sounds good. I'll put it on my calendar.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Litter clean up May 4th Roseville

What is the requisite number of RSVPs needed for the event?

In the past if there is less than X, the event gets cancelled.
    Last edited by TheQ; 04-23-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Volunteering a little time and energy in promoting a spirit community activism goes a long way.

It is what good people do.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post

The last one had 4 OCers in total and was a resounding success. We have that number already, between myself, taurus and the 2 other people who have said they are for sure coming. If you'd like to make the drive out, we'd be more than happy to see you, but as is we'll be fine.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

UPDATE: Due to circumstances outside of my control, I am apparently going to have to work this sunday, so evil creamsicle and I have decided to change the time to 5:00 PM. This way we can still have an easy sunday morning... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzDTfIb0DU
    Last edited by Michigander; 04-30-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post

If I remember correctly, this was at the request of members of MOC. (Reference here)

I have no qualms about doing small events, nor to my knowledge does Michigander.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    I have no qualms about doing small events, nor to my knowledge does Michigander.
    Hell no I don't. Small groups and individual actions are the backbone of progress for freedom movements of all types, including private urban open carrying in Michigan, and including MOC, which was founded on the accomplishments of small events and individuals. We saw it constantly in the past, and even today we see it prominently with people like hellssaints. Sure, for trying to influence legislation or sometimes but not always to draw a big crowd for news cameras you want and need a group coming together, but otherwise if we loose sight of the power and validity of the small event/individual's actions where free will is purposefully exercised, we have entirely forgotten what freedom is about and we have lost our way.

See you sunday.
    Last edited by Michigander; 05-02-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Pretty good success. We got something like six bags of garbage picked up, plus got seen by probably a couple hundred cars.

Slightly off topic, spent the morning doing this and this.

Don't you mean a couple thousand? Even on a sunday evening there is a heavy flow of traffic on Gratiot, and 2-3,000 would probably be about right.

I don't think you can beat the visibility and community service nature of a street side litter clean up. We need to do more of these.

Not to sound critical, but honestly, how many people do you thing actually NOTICED you were all carrying guns along that stretch of road? I wonder if another section of road, perhaps less populous but slower travel rates might not have made more of an impression because people would be driving slow enough to actually recognize you were armed. Again, not being critical, just asking a question.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

More than just walking, because for one, most times I checked I noticed us getting stares from cars going by. Every time a motorcycle or 4 went by with only one exception I saw heads turning. When you're on the grass closer to the street you easily draw more attention.

How many people actually spotted that we were OCing I don't think can be accurately guessed, but it would definitely be very conservative to say that several thousands people drove by as we cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    More than just walking, because for one, most times I checked I noticed us getting stares from cars going by. Every time a motorcycle or 4 went by with only one exception I saw heads turning. When you're on the grass closer to the street you easily draw more attention.

How many people actually spotted that we were OCing I don't think can be accurately guessed, but it would definitely be very conservative to say that several thousands people drove by as we cleaned.
    I got a few looks from guys in pretty nice muscle cars, and one guy even swerved and tried to hit us.

ETA: Also I noticed that the pic might be misleading. The service drive behind me is just because we just arrived back at the cars, that isn't the road we cleaned up. We walked up and down Gratiot.

PS: one of my linked videos is a bowling ball mortar, you should really watch that.
    Last edited by Evil Creamsicle; 05-05-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Cleaning up on the side of a busy road open carrying, I am SURE no one would notice that.

Good job guys
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

I was asking a serious question. Someone driving by at 55 MPH may not notice an open carried handgun. I'm sure they saw the people. Forget I asked.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

It's going to depend on the road. In this case, if I remember right, the speed limit is 45. There are numerous lights, and there are a lot of businesses all up and down, so traffic is slower than it would be on a rural highway. The freeway is right by there too, and so if you want to go somewhere fast right there you'd probably take I94 instead.

But that doesn't mean much, that event is already done. The point is that I am challenging others here to do these in their neighborhoods. By any reasonable definition, these are high visibility events that only a nut job anti could argue against. We need more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    I was asking a serious question.
    My answer was completely serious. Including about the part where the guy tried to hit us. Or, at least make us think he was trying to hit us.

Pretty good success. We got something like six bags of garbage picked up, plus got seen by probably a couple hundred cars.

I see Michigander left you holding the bag.

*Prepares for inbound tomatoes*

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    I was asking a serious question. Someone driving by at 55 MPH may not notice an open carried handgun. I'm sure they saw the people. Forget I asked.
    There's folks who don't notice an exposed, holstered handgun even in a crowded room or shopping mall. So, thinking many of those passerby's didn't notice is not an unreasonable thought. Methinks the point here is, like the old days just several years ago, the movement, the agenda to attempt to educate and desensitize, doesn't require an organization to take the lead. Nor does it usually require weeks or months of planning. Like I've always said, a little bit all the time is better than a whole lot once in a while.

Slightly off topic, spent the morning doing this and this.
    That guys is so cool even his trash bags are tactical!

Nicely done gents!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi