Thread: If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do? Celebrate?

If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do? Celebrate?

" ... I [Marc Ambinder] was wondering if the government had deigned to share with us citizens any tips for, you know, surviving something their own intelligence points to as the likeliest unlikely Black Swan event. [ ... ] The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory released a report in 2011 that spells all this out. It hasn't gotten nearly the attention it deserves. It's called the "National Capital Region Key Response Planning Factors for the Aftermath of Nuclear Terrorism" and it makes for fascinating reading.

https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=702738 11.1 MB 120 pages

The electromagnetic pulse from a ground burst will NOT, in fact, knock out all types of communication. Some? Maybe.

http://theweek.com/article/index/259...-should-you-do

From my Alerts for "Black Swan"
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    I would probably stay away from that area ... and check wind patterns ASAP.

I'd move to Ireland.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

What if bombs exploded in DC, New York, San Francisco, Chicago ?

At least Al-Qaeda always focuses on major cities with major liberal populations.

Would I celebrate????

WTF
    Last edited by MurrayRothbard; 04-15-2014 at 03:35 PM.

If a nuclear weapon exploded on American soil, there would be other things to be concerned with other than celebrating. I may be a gun owner who disagrees with the way our country is being run, it doesn't mean I will celebrate in the middle of such a tragic event. Human suffering is nothing to be glad about. Would it be a personal attack if I call you one sick individual?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I would probably stay away from that area ... and check wind patterns ASAP.
    In my work I administered my facility's contribution to the Atmospheric Release Advisory Capability, a weather sensor mast and a small computer that 'talked' to LLNL. ARAC is now obsolete, superseded by National Atmospheric Release Advisory Center NARAC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...dvisory_Center

Before ARAC we had a wonderful handbook full of ways to estimate wind phenomena. I used to be able to look at a plume from a cooling tower or smokestack and make a good guestimate of wind speed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosp...rsion_modeling

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    In my work I administered my facility's contribution to the Atmospheric Release Advisory Capability, a weather sensor mast and a small computer that 'talked' to LLNL. ARAC is now obsolete, superseded by National Atmospheric Release Advisory Center NARAC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...dvisory_Center

Before ARAC we had a wonderful handbook full of ways to estimate wind phenomena. I used to be able to look at a plume from a cooling tower or smokestack and make a good guestimate of wind speed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosp...rsion_modeling
    Ok of I give you my contact info could you give me a heads up if the plume is coming my way?

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Bernymac View Post
    If a nuclear weapon exploded on American soil, there would be other things to be concerned with other than celebrating. I may be a gun owner who disagrees with the way our country is being run, it doesn't mean I will celebrate in the middle of such a tragic event. Human suffering is nothing to be glad about. Would it be a personal attack if I call you one sick individual?
    And what of the suffering caused by America not so acutely as a nuclear weapon's detonation?

If there is to be a nuclear attack, my wife and I will step outside to watch the fireball and leave that future to others and fools. Like when they come for my guns, I have no desire to live in that reality or as an unarmed subject.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-15-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Ok of I give you my contact info could you give me a heads up if the plume is coming my way?

Figure it out yourself...he'll be busy

Thought math class was useless now?

sorry i think nuclear issues anywhere would be propagated by an accident from or at a utility like 3 Mile Island, verses a terrorist attack, similar to Fukushima Daiichi Japan's accident after the massive earthquake.

interestingly, even in the '86 Chernobyl incident, very few actually died directly from the initial radiation. in fact according to wiki, more ppl die from radiation therapy overdoses. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_death_toll

currently, Japan's most recent event, authorities truly have no idea how many ppl perished directly from the utility self destructing verses how many died due to the massive tsunami.

If someone used nuclear, the event would be several atmospheric detonations to cause the greatest debris dispersion pattern coupled with the widest EMP possible, again scenarios show very little initial loss of life, but future, 15 - 20 years, ramifications due to cancer could be a bit staggering.

IMHO, the most suffering inflicted on the population caused by a nuclear event would be from watching the news agencies go into 24 hour reporting mode.

now assid's example of using gas on his country's distractors, causes me far more concern.

therefore, if a non-accidental nuclear event occurred in our territorial boundaries, you would have a huge group of pi&&'d off Americans...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-15-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I'd be busy trying to shut out democrats blaming liberty loving Americans and Republicans blaming others who hate us for our "freedoms". Either way it would mean more loss of freedoms for us....unless.....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

If a bomb was dropped on Washington DC, I would be highly upset and worried because my dad works in DC every day (no he's not involved in politics) . So I'd probably be on my way there to help him.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Banned
    Just put up signs "no dropping of A-bombs beyond this point" ... problem solved !

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Just put up signs "no dropping of A-bombs beyond this point" ... problem solved !
    What a novel Idea we will create nuclear weapon free zones, that will prevent it from happening. Easy...
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I will tread lightly on this subject, I would feel horrible for any innocent person killed. Any crooked politician turns to dust, will I shed a tear for them or their family. NO.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Thought math class was useless now?
    Is this like telling someone to count backwards while the anesthesia goes to work? I would be dead before figuring out how to plug in the numbers : (

I likely wouldn't know about it until I go pay my water bill.
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

If done by another country or foreign terrorist group. I would most likely enlist.
    WTT: Glock 27 for Glock 26

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    I'm not sure any nuke going off ever, anywhere would be reason to celebrate.
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    sorry i think nuclear issues anywhere would be propagated by an accident from or at a utility like 3 Mile Island, verses a terrorist attack, similar to Fukushima Daiichi Japan's accident after the massive earthquake.
    Good thing newer reactors are making nuclear energy production so safe that the odds of a catastrophic melt down are next to zero. Too bad uneducated simpletons are preventing us from replacing our older, less safe reactors with these new, safer models.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Good thing newer reactors are making nuclear energy production so safe that the odds of a catastrophic melt down are next to zero. Too bad uneducated simpletons are preventing us from replacing our older, less safe reactors with these new, safer models.
    i just wonder which japanese builder decided to put the utility's genset in the basement below sealevel...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

If leave the country, nuclear material could very well seep into my body. Back during WW2 soldiers were asked to sit with their backs to a large pole mounted with an atom bomb, hydrogen bomb or something like that, then when it was detonated, they were told to face the blast which I think was about 3-5 miles away. Most died because of health complications stemming from that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by badger54 View Post
    If done by another country or foreign terrorist group. I would most likely enlist.
    I would next in line behind the president's kids.....