Thread: Boylston Street Evacuated After Backpack Left Near Finish Line despite DHS security

Boylston Street Evacuated After Backpack Left Near Finish Line despite DHS security

1903 EDT: The area near the finish line of the Boston Marathon was evacuated Tuesday night after two unattended backpacks were left at the finish line. Police tape has been put up around the photo bridge on Boylston Street. WBZ-TV photographers on scene say they saw a man with the backpack screaming “Boston Strong” before police cleared everyone from the area. Witnesses say the man was wearing a long black veil and was acting strange. It is unclear whether or not the man was taken into custody.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/04/1...r-finish-line/

G00gle Real time
    https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...Cp47pMXN-0wPOM
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-15-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    ...they saw a man with the backpack screaming “Boston Strong”
    Masshole.

After the robot opened the backpack, there was nothing inside except a piece of cardboard, on which had been scribbled: "Psst, the terrorists are winning."
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    ... "Psst, the terrorists are winning."
    True dat. Da terrorists won.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    After the robot opened the backpack, there was nothing inside except a piece of cardboard, on which had been scribbled: "Psst, the terrorists are winning."
    Sounds even better than what I get in my fortune cookies nowadays (when I actually GET a fortune in there).
    Sad truth that the coerced surrender of liberties is the price one has to pay to live in a free country*, right?

*Not my words or my true thoughts, merely an allusion to some paradoxical words I read on Yahoo News about the TSA.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Banned
    True dat. Da terrorists won.
    LLBean sales just went up ...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    LLBean sales just went up ...
    Perhaps. Unfortunately the rise in sales should be guns&ammo from your local Mom&Pop gun shop.

...the rise in sales should be guns&ammo from your local Mom&Pop gun shop.
    Oh god, not more of that.

I've already basically given up on shooting as a pastime.

I was just the other day seriously thinking that I can't really advocate firearms for self-defense anymore to anyone who isn't a would-be hoarder, and I stopped trying over a year ago.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-16-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Oh god, not more of that. I've already basically given up on shooting as a pastime. I was just the other day seriously thinking that I can't really advocate firearms for self-defense anymore to anyone who isn't a would-be hoarder, and I stopped trying over a year ago.
    I've been measuring and recording set back in my FEDERAL EFMJ on the occassions when I reload that pistol; as when I take it out of the safe after being away. I can't afford to replace it at the rate that I would if I could shoot for sport.

I still carry, and occasionlly shoot WWB .45 from my SA1911A1.

I've been measuring and recording set back in my FEDERAL EFMJ on the occassions when I reload that pistol; as when I take it out of the safe after being away. I can't afford to replace it at the rate that I would if I could shoot for sport.

I still carry, and occasionlly shoot WWB .45 from my SA1911A1.
    I still carry, but it's been months since the coincidence of in-stock projectiles and money in my account (I have a few thousand primers, and a similarly decent supply of powder and cases, but what good does that do me?).

I still think that, as good as this may be for the gun industry in the short term, it's worse than any gun control managed in the last 2 decades in the long term. Frankly, I'd just as soon give up my guns today as acquiesce to a future where the right, ability & pastime isn't meaningfully available to my children and theirs. What's the point of some stupid last stand if one's children are to become slaves anyway?

To put it another way, the vibrancy of the use and exercise of the right right to keep and bear arms is more important than my own personal stash (not that I wouldn't like a stash, within reason). I wish the rest of gun owners saw it that way. Right now, and frankly until or if .22 ever becomes readily available again, it's a cult for fanatics.

[ ... ] ... it's a cult for fanatics.
    As I, perhaps a fanatic, have said, I have no desire to survive confiscation of my guns, to live in that reality an unarmed subject.

The Buddhist monks lessons on the effectiveness of self-immolation (Castus pius immolare) have been forgotten (except perhaps by Sheriff Mack, putting his loved ones in harms way).

As I, perhaps a fanatic, have said, I have no desire to survive confiscation of my guns, to live in that reality an unarmed subject.
    And what about the next generation?

And what about the next generation?
    My daughter is an adult, a 'doctor', recently wed to the son of a prepper hoarding ammo and vodka(!) for barter. She may be smarter and better prepared than me. Certainly looks better!

My daughter is an adult, a 'doctor', recently wed to the son of a prepper hoarding ammo and vodka(!) for barter. She may be smarter and better prepared than me. Certainly looks better!
    I can't read this as anything more optimistic than "maybe we'll squeeze in one more generation".

I suppose it goes without saying that you may die at your leisure, in a hail of bullets avoiding "confiscation" or otherwise.

To me, the preservation of the right is more important than my own exercise of it. I'll always have the option of dying to avoid slavery; no guns needed for that. But what if some future members of the human race wish to live free? Should we deny them that for one man's pride?

For me, the second amendment has always been about the future. I'm not ashamed to say that I feel like your wife's husband and others are throwing that away for a selfish and misguided present, one which in all likelihood will never come to pass (hoards = prepared for fantasies, not reality).

At this point I doubt very much that my grandchildren will utilize firearms for self-defense. In all likelihood they will be replaced by modern, less-than-lethal forms of self-defense, and the second amendment's most important function of deterring tyranny on the pain of potential death will give way so the fantasies of a bunch of puerile "adults" can reify themselves in large, useless stashes of ammo.

rant off
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-16-2014 at 09:33 AM.

And what happened to actual, you know, self-sufficiency? When did we become so childlike and dependent that the best we can envision is an ever-dwindling hoard salvaged from the glory days of civilization?

I don't recall seeing any hoards in the possession of Dick Proenneke.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-16-2014 at 09:48 AM.

And what happened to actual, you know, self-sufficiency? When did we become so childlike and dependent that the best we can envision is an ever-dwindling hoard salvaged from the glory days of civilization?

I don't recall seeing any hoards in the possession of Dick Proenneke.
    I would say we would all be better served by acquiring skills and a diverse library, rather than only hoarding commodities.

It is an interesting and valid point you raise; one that is all too frequently overlooked; what about future generations? What are we establishing for them? Reminds me of the last scene in Futurama's "A Big Pile of Garbage"...

I still carry, but it's been months since the coincidence of in-stock projectiles and money in my account (I have a few thousand primers, and a similarly decent supply of powder and cases, but what good does that do me?).

I still think that, as good as this may be for the gun industry in the short term, it's worse than any gun control managed in the last 2 decades in the long term. Frankly, I'd just as soon give up my guns today as acquiesce to a future where the right, ability & pastime isn't meaningfully available to my children and theirs. What's the point of some stupid last stand if one's children are to become slaves anyway?

To put it another way, the vibrancy of the use and exercise of the right right to keep and bear arms is more important than my own personal stash (not that I wouldn't like a stash, within reason). I wish the rest of gun owners saw it that way. Right now, and frankly until or if .22 ever becomes readily available again, it's a cult for fanatics.

The Buddhist monks lessons on the effectiveness of self-immolation (Castus pius immolare) have been forgotten (except perhaps by Sheriff Mack, putting his loved ones in harms way).
    I THINK marshaul was speaking of (and marshaul should correct me if I am wrong, since I don't want to misinterpret his words here) the fact that because use of firearms for recreation is hampered nowadays, the younger generations (think teens and such, or even my 21 year-old group) aren't being exposed to the use of firearms, which in turn doesn't normalize it for them, and reinforces the anti-Freedom bunch's rhetoric about the RKBA being "outdated" or "unnecessary", etc.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke