• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Candidates - Election Discussion

Steven Nielson

I wanted to start this thread to introduce myself to the forum, and discuss my positions and my campaign. Those of you at the April 5th rally had the opportunity to hear my case for gun rights and talk with me one-on-one about gun issues. For those who did not, please let me introduce myself:

My name is Steven Nielson, and I intend to be your next State Representative for Washington's 2nd Legislative District.

Though I open carry, I am advocating constitutional carry as a tenet of my campaign. I believe that gun ownership, and by extension self-defense, is a natural right endowed in our creation. As such I do not believe that any means of self protection, property protection, or other necessary protection should be registered or regulated in any fashion. With freedom comes responsibility. I believe that we should have access to modern arms and ammunition, to defend ourselves as we see fit, not as the government allows us. And I believe that if and when government invents new laws that are obstructive to our natural right, we have a duty to liberty to violate those unjust laws.

It is the rare occasion to find a Washington Politician brave enough to stand up with this kind of passion for gun rights. But then again, I'm not a politician. I'm a concerned citizen who has been pushed to the limits. I can not allow bad policy to continue to become bad law. I refuse to sit idly while destructive gun laws become common place, while government agencies declare war on land and gun owners, and while politicians are voiceless and actionless against such blatant violation of our natural rights.

As you can see, I'm very passionate about freedom with regard to self-defense. And I intend to remain a voice for these issues as I move beyond a successful election and into the state house.

Again, my name is Steven Nielson, and I am asking for your support and endorsement as a pro-open carry / constitutional carry candidate - a champion for liberty.

Please visit my site to learn more: www.stevennielson.com

sudden valley gunner

Hi Steve,

It was a great talk you gave at the rally.

Many if not most of us here are very pro constitutional carry and believe a permit is an infringement. So that's good point.

Where is your stance on 591 and 594? What are you opponents stances on various firearm issues?

Although we have spoke on the same topics on facebook and are facebook freinds I didn't get to meet you and discuss these things at the rally with you.

Also if we want to endorse you or contribute to your campaign is there a way to do that? What impressed me is your open letter pledging not to take any money from special interests.

davidmcbeth

Banned
With freedom comes responsibility.

Lose that sentence ....

And why support constitutional carry? A provision in the constitution is just a law and one that can be changed.
Its in conflict with your statement that its a "natural right".

You should be seeking an elimination of all gun laws in respect to carry and others related to guns.
Your running for a legislative body ... its good to see you mention passing legislation as opposed to just talking about the RKBA. Pass legislation to eliminate gun laws.

I don't think anyone has the duty to violate laws either ... what you are saying is that I have to violate all the laws that I think are unconstitutional ~ I would be a very busy boy! We have a right to ignore such laws...but not a duty.

Good luck in your campaign !