• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bloomberg on the Today show ch5 0800

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
He is announcing his new attack on the 2A this morning. No punches pulled, he calls it what it is.....Gun Control.
You cannot fight back unless you know their argument.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bloomberg-pledges-50m-fight-nra-article-1.1757801

Former Mayor Michael Bloomberg is once again taking aim at one of his favorite targets — the NRA.
In his first major political investment since leaving City Hall, he plans to spend $50 million of his vast fortune to bankroll grassroots efforts aimed at influencing women to push for stricter anti-gun violence laws.
The cash rollout will fund a new group, Everytown for Gun Safety, to serve as an umbrella organization for the existing efforts he has already launched — Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.
But Bloomberg insists the investment "isn’t gun control," in a "Today" show interview on Wednesday.
"Nobody’s going to take anybody’s gun away. Nobody’s going to keep you from hunting or target practice or protecting yourself. It’s just making sure that a handful of people, who we all agree shouldn’t have guns don’t get their hands on them,” he added.

http://www.today.com/news/bloomberg-i-wont-run-president-plain-simple-2D79536229

mikeyb

I like this quote even better:

Hmmm... who are we going to believe more... Mr. Bloomberg, or Jesus?

Matthew 19:23-24
New International Version (NIV)
23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Slightly OT; too bad works don't matter, faith does. Bloomberg only has faith in 1 thing. Money. He also neglects the OT sentiment of putting down your shield and picking up your sword.

EMNofSeattle

I think it's funny how extreme leftists whenever religious leaders speak against gay marriage or avortion they say "stop imposing your laws on my body" but when it comes to gun control they wheel in the god squad and anyone with "rev" before their name who will support gun control.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Slightly OT; too bad works don't matter, faith does. Bloomberg only has faith in 1 thing. Money. He also neglects the OT sentiment of putting down your shield and picking up your sword.

That's your particular interpretation of the faith, and it isn't universal. For all you know, Bloomberg subscribes to a "good works" denomination. And for all you know, his is correct.

None of that matters, though, because whether you subscribe to "good works" or sola fide salvation, Bloomberg warrants neither by any calculus.

Jesus himself taught that, when it comes to how one treats those around him, the means are the ends. Whereas, Bloomberg is a dyed-in-the-wool ends-justify-the-means-because-I-just-know-better-than-any-of-you-mere-proles utilitarian.

The only religion which gets Bloomberg into heaven is the cult of his own personality. (I wonder what that's like?)

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I think it's funny how extreme leftists whenever religious leaders speak against gay marriage or avortion they say "stop imposing your laws on my body" but when it comes to gun control they wheel in the god squad and anyone with "rev" before their name who will support gun control.

I think it's funny when extreme rightists try to impose their archaic religious laws on the rest of society.

Usually I don't get beyond that.

But I suppose you're right, it is funny.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
“I am telling you if there is a God, when I get to heaven I’m not stopping to be interviewed. I am heading straight in. I have earned my place in heaven. It’s not even close.” – Mike Bloomberg

What a narcissist

2AFriendly

13th richest man in the world. Thinks he can do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMNofSeattle

Yup.

How anyone could deny that he's clearly earned the right to impose his will on anything he likes is beyond him. Just look at his assets!

Well that's the free market for you. No or little regulation, we've declared that corporations are people and that funding and rigging elections with the money your corporation made is constitutional, so there you go. The rich will use the money to impose their interests on everyone else.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Well that's the free market for you. No or little regulation, we've declared that corporations are people and that funding and rigging elections with the money your corporation made is constitutional, so there you go. The rich will use the money to impose their interests on everyone else.

How the hell you can describe a corporatocracy as "free market" is beyond me. I mean, it's literally diametrically opposite to the definition of a "free market".

You yourself point out that "we've declared that corporations are people". Just who do you imagine "we" is? The invisible hand of the market? No. "We" is the government, of course.

Free market = laissez faire. Government intervening in the market (or being a part of the market) ≠ lassez faire. Government establishing the privilege of limited liability corporations, much less declaring that those corporations are people = government involving itself in the market = not laissez faire. Therefore, government declaring corporations as people = not free market. QED.

This is why I am certain that Milton Friedman would be in hell, were there such a place. The persistent conflation of "free market" with "the opposite of a free market" is wholly his doing, and is a criminal & repugnant legacy.

ETA:

There are folks who will say that limited liability corporations could arise out of voluntary exchange, and therefore they would, and therefore it's not intervention to force potential victims en masse to not seek full restitution from the actual owners of a corporation which is liable to them. I say, well, it's been argued that slavery "could" arise out of voluntary exchange. Therefore (by the above logic), it will arise, and we might as well force it on everyone, amirite?

And all that's forgetting the obvious nasty effects of standardizing limited liability, which has the effect of routinely separating risk from the decision-making process. In short, it inevitably results in decision-makers having no personal risk outside criminal liability (and outright criminal actions are rarely necessary to lead to the sort of liability a corporation might incur) and the value of stock shares.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Leonard Peikoff has done the Objectivist movement no good while lining his own pockets.

Pretty sure Leonard Peikoff is of the Ayn Rand Institute, whereas The Objectivist Center/The Atlas Society is the publisher of the Long's book.

$175 is textbook prices! :eek: I freely confess that I haven't paid for a textbook in years. Information is freely obtainable, one way or another. ;)

So you're a Long fan I take it? He's one of my favorite contemporaries.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
No, not recently, not since I parted ways with Randian Objectivism as an ideal. But I will look again after reading that essay. Essays, contra book-length, well written, are good surveys of a topic's evolution.

Frankly, I don't ascribe to Objectivism myself.

I don't need to, however, to appreciate Long's left-libertarian approach to issues not about Objectivism itself.

Black_water

1. I wonder if Harry Reid is going to make some statements about the 50 million Bloomberg is putting in the game this election cycle: he lost his mind over the 30 million the Koch brothers were spending.

2. Bloomberg is just bored, he has nothing to do, so he is making a challenge against his "enemies" etc. Fortunately for us, he is unlikely to get people to polls this year as not many people care to be told what to do the way he wants to do it.

I hope he spends all his money (not possible) then goes away (not likely).

On another note, here in Tucson, we had a "grassroots" anti gunner rally yesterday supported by his new umbrella group. Pima county, the most liberal county in AZ only managed <50 at the rally.