Thread: Traveling to Oregon

Traveling to Oregon

A question regarding open carrying my weapon....I live in Montana and always open carry....I know I can travel through Idaho and open carry no problem however after reading some things on here regarding Oregon I am confused..can I open carryor not...I saw some citys ban carrying a loaded firearm but does that mean I can carry my weapon openly and just not put my clip in my weapon unless deemed necessary or am I not allowed to carry it at all...I guess I should have asked first if they recognize out of state carriers. Thanks for any help
    Dave W
    Missoula,MT

You can OC in Oregon, but in some cities/counties you cannot have it loaded, Portland, Gresham, Hillsboro, Some coastal cities.
    There is a list of these cities and counties in these forums.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...rry-Ban-Cities

traveling

ok...got that part...but can I open carry my firearm in the cities unloaded with my clip in its holder and load it only if it becomes neccesary

Oregon recognizes nobody's CC permit. Different areas have different wording on "loaded" some mean no mag some not chambered. In Bend there is a no loaded guns in city parks. I pocket my loaded mag and put in an empty mag. Wet side of Oregon probably wouldn't be advisable.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Hi Dave,

Take a look at the loaded ban cities thread (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...rry-Ban-Cities). It covers major cities and the laws regulating carry. Portland for example has banned loaded carry as well as magazines with ammunition in them. Other large cities like Eugene don't have any specific laws on carrying firearms. Unfortunately this means you have to check municipal and county codes for where you will be visiting.

Hope you have a good visit to Oregon, Missoula is a lovely city and my open carry experiences there were superb.

Open carry

I appreciate everyones respone on concealed carry however I open carry so where do the rules in Oregon stand on that subject

I'm not very good at explaining stuff so I can only recommend you look at this pamphlet as a good place to start, and have one with you while your here in case you need to look something up.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh....php?p=1734340
    Last edited by Cremator75; 04-22-2014 at 10:51 AM.

oregon

ok clearly Oregon just sucks...I spoke with them out there and basically it seems I will have to keep my firearm in my trunk unloaded or my hotel room...Eugene Oregon says oh its fine up north says nope sorry so better to play it safe..Washington state doesn't seem much better so probably leave it in my trunk and only carry it through Idaho and when I return to montana,,,,government regulations in these matters suck and they aren't written for common people to understand them...oh thanks for the pamphlet I did print that out

Quote Originally Posted by whitmandt View Post
    ok clearly Oregon just sucks...I spoke with them out there and basically it seems I will have to keep my firearm in my trunk unloaded or my hotel room...Eugene Oregon says oh its fine up north says nope sorry so better to play it safe..Washington state doesn't seem much better so probably leave it in my trunk and only carry it through Idaho and when I return to montana,,,,government regulations in these matters suck and they aren't written for common people to understand them...oh thanks for the pamphlet I did print that out
    No problem for WA, you just can't have it loaded in the car with out a CPL. Out of the car locked, and loaded except for the usual places: bars, court houses, and federal buildings.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ights-Pamphlet
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    No problem for WA, you just can't have it loaded in the car with out a CPL. Out of the car locked, and loaded except for the usual places: bars, court houses, and federal buildings.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ights-Pamphlet
    So what's the regulation or case law regarding open carry on a motorcycle? It is NOT INSIDE a vehicle. I ask because I will be doing a long distance ride and it entails going all the way to Bellingham and back to southern Oregon.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Picking up on this thread: We're driving from CO to eastern OR (Canyon City, John Day area) in a couple weeks. The unofficial guidance I was given by relatives in the area (including a former LEO) is that "things are very different in Eastern OR than along I-5 corridor" and that we should expect no trouble with sidearm OC loaded or otherwise. One went on to say that the most we could expect is "if anyone is going to look at you funny it would be in Bend otherwise it'll be a non-issue".

Sound about right for far Eastern OR?
    Last edited by RockyMtnScotsman; 05-16-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whitmandt View Post
    ok clearly Oregon just sucks...I spoke with them out there and basically it seems I will have to keep my firearm in my trunk unloaded ...
    Who is "them?" Cops?

Dammit; I responded to a two-year old post. So now my question is why didn't any of you regulars find out who he was talking to?
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-16-2016 at 07:04 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

hey mac...the thread is olde...

the friend he is talking to is named 'harvey' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfXvW2wsuQ

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain