• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to Oregon

whitmandt

A question regarding open carrying my weapon....I live in Montana and always open carry....I know I can travel through Idaho and open carry no problem however after reading some things on here regarding Oregon I am confused..can I open carryor not...I saw some citys ban carrying a loaded firearm but does that mean I can carry my weapon openly and just not put my clip in my weapon unless deemed necessary or am I not allowed to carry it at all...I guess I should have asked first if they recognize out of state carriers. Thanks for any help
Dave W
Missoula,MT

whitmandt

traveling

ok...got that part...but can I open carry my firearm in the cities unloaded with my clip in its holder and load it only if it becomes neccesary

mjcromp

Oregon recognizes nobody's CC permit. Different areas have different wording on "loaded" some mean no mag some not chambered. In Bend there is a no loaded guns in city parks. I pocket my loaded mag and put in an empty mag. Wet side of Oregon probably wouldn't be advisable.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Hi Dave,

Take a look at the loaded ban cities thread (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?35648-Loaded-Firearm-Carry-Ban-Cities). It covers major cities and the laws regulating carry. Portland for example has banned loaded carry as well as magazines with ammunition in them. Other large cities like Eugene don't have any specific laws on carrying firearms. Unfortunately this means you have to check municipal and county codes for where you will be visiting.

Hope you have a good visit to Oregon, Missoula is a lovely city and my open carry experiences there were superb.

whitmandt

Open carry

I appreciate everyones respone on concealed carry however I open carry so where do the rules in Oregon stand on that subject

whitmandt

oregon

ok clearly Oregon just sucks...I spoke with them out there and basically it seems I will have to keep my firearm in my trunk unloaded or my hotel room...Eugene Oregon says oh its fine up north says nope sorry so better to play it safe..Washington state doesn't seem much better so probably leave it in my trunk and only carry it through Idaho and when I return to montana,,,,government regulations in these matters suck and they aren't written for common people to understand them...oh thanks for the pamphlet I did print that out

golddigger14s

Activist Member
ok clearly Oregon just sucks...I spoke with them out there and basically it seems I will have to keep my firearm in my trunk unloaded or my hotel room...Eugene Oregon says oh its fine up north says nope sorry so better to play it safe..Washington state doesn't seem much better so probably leave it in my trunk and only carry it through Idaho and when I return to montana,,,,government regulations in these matters suck and they aren't written for common people to understand them...oh thanks for the pamphlet I did print that out

No problem for WA, you just can't have it loaded in the car with out a CPL. Out of the car locked, and loaded except for the usual places: bars, court houses, and federal buildings.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78380-Washington-Gun-Rights-Pamphlet

We-the-People

No problem for WA, you just can't have it loaded in the car with out a CPL. Out of the car locked, and loaded except for the usual places: bars, court houses, and federal buildings.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78380-Washington-Gun-Rights-Pamphlet

So what's the regulation or case law regarding open carry on a motorcycle? It is NOT INSIDE a vehicle. I ask because I will be doing a long distance ride and it entails going all the way to Bellingham and back to southern Oregon.

RockyMtnScotsman

Picking up on this thread: We're driving from CO to eastern OR (Canyon City, John Day area) in a couple weeks. The unofficial guidance I was given by relatives in the area (including a former LEO) is that "things are very different in Eastern OR than along I-5 corridor" and that we should expect no trouble with sidearm OC loaded or otherwise. One went on to say that the most we could expect is "if anyone is going to look at you funny it would be in Bend otherwise it'll be a non-issue".

Sound about right for far Eastern OR?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
ok clearly Oregon just sucks...I spoke with them out there and basically it seems I will have to keep my firearm in my trunk unloaded ...

Who is "them?" Cops?

Dammit; I responded to a two-year old post. So now my question is why didn't any of you regulars find out who he was talking to? :D

Last edited: