• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is SCCC's position on open carry?

Rusty Young Man

I have a notion, but I'd prefer that it be independently verified.

I'd imagine you'll get a response akin to OCDO's regarding LGOC:

That isn't our goal, though we support the Right for someone to start an organization with that goal if they so choose.

I wouldn't blame them for it, just like I don't blame OCDO for its stance on LGOC. Sometimes a scalpel can be more useful than a meat cleaver, or a spotlight instead of a floodlight, etc.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I'd imagine you'll get a response akin to OCDO's regarding LGOC:

That isn't our goal, though we support the Right for someone to start an organization with that goal if they so choose.

I wouldn't blame them for it, just like I don't blame OCDO for its stance on LGOC. Sometimes a scalpel can be more useful than a meat cleaver, or a spotlight instead of a floodlight, etc.
No, I don't mean OC as a goal, I mean OC as a legal thing to do in order to press for CC. For instance, in Ohio, that's what Ohioans for Concealed Carry did.

And of course, sometimes a meat cleaver is more useful than a scalpel, etc.

Javelina

Assuming you are referring to Scottsdale Community College or what exactly are you guys talking about? all the Acronyms are getting the best of me lol. If you are stating what I believe you are stating: Open Carry on campus would be a best bet since we can't get CC. Then I would say that is not gonna fly. Look around your class, unless you have nothing but Criminal Justice classes I bet that many students would be more freaked out over the idea of OC instead of CC. That and can you imagine how much easier it would be for an active shooter to know who is carrying and to make sure to take them out first? CC has major advantages on and off college campuses nationwide. Although I prefer to OC since it is so hot and Arizona and I do believe it is a silent deter-ant without you really knowing/thinking about it, I do think CC would be the best choice on campus.

Rusty Young Man

I have a notion, but I'd prefer that it be independently verified.

I should have posted this when it came out, but I never got around to it. Sorry.

http://concealedcampus.org/2014/04/...ns-on-unlicensed-carry-open-carry-k-12-carry/

SCCC said:
Why SCC doesn’t take positions on unlicensed carry, open carry, or k-12 carry
by Kurt Mueller on April 24, 2014

SCC has one main policy objective: To promote and secure the rights of law abiding adults who 1) have a concealed carry permit to be able to carry 2) a concealed handgun while visiting a 3) college campus.

So naturally, we are asked from time to time why we don’t argue in favor of unlicensed carry, open carry, or k-12 carry.

The reason is two fold: we lack the expertise, and we lack the resources."

Last edited: