Thread: Can you shoot on your own land?

Can you shoot on your own land?

The husband and I want to buy a house out here in Vegas, but have also talked about buying land and building our dream home. Is there any way that we could buy property that we could shoot on? I know I have read and heard about other states that they just step out their back door and can practice basically but I don't know if that would be allowed anywhere in nevada. Just trying to decide on what we really want to do since we realized our goal of buying a house is probably a year or two out anyway and what is a few more if we can build our dream home on land?

To my knowledge nothing outside of the normal rules of discharging firearms would apply. Which means you can't do it inside the Las Vegas valley, and you would have to also be, I think, 1000' from other structures and roads, or something like that.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

So we would need around 25 acres if not more then to comply with that? Some where around that is my guess to be 1000ft in any direction from anything. Hmmm that is a lot of land haha I don't think I want to become a rancher which is the only other good thing about that much land.

Thanks Mac!

I would believe about the only chance you have would to be check out to see what the it would take to build a indoor range. I have not checked however use to be in Nye County the only shooting laws was something like no shooting after dark and with in 3 miles of the court house.

My grandpa would love to have his own range, he has about an acre of land in California, it is an unincorporated part of the city he lives in but still illegal. If it is like that in Nye, I guess i have research to do!

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Craftymommy View Post
    So we would need around 25 acres if not more then to comply with that? Some where around that is my guess to be 1000ft in any direction from anything. Hmmm that is a lot of land haha I don't think I want to become a rancher which is the only other good thing about that much land. Thanks Mac!
    There are 43560 square feet per acre, and the area of a circle is Pi x r^2 .

Calculator
    http://www.area-of-a-circle.com/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-18-2014 at 07:46 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Not sure how up to date this site is, but, it is a place to start your research.

http://armsinfo.com/nevada/local.htm#map
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Thanks to every one with the info I definitely have a lot of research to do, it will be a while to come into effect(if ever) unless I win the jackpot haha!

Would be nice though, just shoot from my back porch

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftymommy View Post
    Thanks to every one with the info I definitely have a lot of research to do, it will be a while to come into effect(if ever) unless I win the jackpot haha!

Would be nice though, just shoot from my back porch
    I shoot varmints all the time .... but some states have goofy laws about being so far from another structure ... useless laws ... like a few hundred feet is going to matter with a .308 round.