• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you shoot on your own land?

Craftymommy

The husband and I want to buy a house out here in Vegas, but have also talked about buying land and building our dream home. Is there any way that we could buy property that we could shoot on? I know I have read and heard about other states that they just step out their back door and can practice basically but I don't know if that would be allowed anywhere in nevada. Just trying to decide on what we really want to do since we realized our goal of buying a house is probably a year or two out anyway and what is a few more if we can build our dream home on land?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
To my knowledge nothing outside of the normal rules of discharging firearms would apply. Which means you can't do it inside the Las Vegas valley, and you would have to also be, I think, 1000' from other structures and roads, or something like that.

Craftymommy

So we would need around 25 acres if not more then to comply with that? Some where around that is my guess to be 1000ft in any direction from anything. Hmmm that is a lot of land haha I don't think I want to become a rancher which is the only other good thing about that much land.

Thanks Mac!

28kfps

I would believe about the only chance you have would to be check out to see what the it would take to build a indoor range. I have not checked however use to be in Nye County the only shooting laws was something like no shooting after dark and with in 3 miles of the court house.

Craftymommy

My grandpa would love to have his own range, he has about an acre of land in California, it is an unincorporated part of the city he lives in but still illegal. If it is like that in Nye, I guess i have research to do!

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

Craftymommy

Thanks to every one with the info:) I definitely have a lot of research to do, it will be a while to come into effect(if ever) unless I win the jackpot haha!

Would be nice though, just shoot from my back porch:banana:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Thanks to every one with the info:) I definitely have a lot of research to do, it will be a while to come into effect(if ever) unless I win the jackpot haha!

Would be nice though, just shoot from my back porch:banana:

I shoot varmints all the time .... but some states have goofy laws about being so far from another structure ... useless laws ... like a few hundred feet is going to matter with a .308 round.