• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry interactions with officers

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just raise your front sight above the notch, or you could file it.

Sounds as if his gun needs a "sight adjustment." At 30' it should shoot to point of aim, presuming good grip and no bad habits.

Raising the front sight picture is SOP for distance shots 75-100 yards with .357mags.

Fallschirjmäger

Have you ever tried to shoot at a target with a handgun more than 50'+ away? It is kind of difficult. With a rifle, it is really easy.
Quite regularly. Max range where I shoot is 25 yards which is 75'. I can keep 98 out of 100 within the K5 zone on a B21 target. For some reason I've Never EVER been able to get all 100 no matter how I try.

Did you mean 50 yards perhaps?

protias

Quite regularly. Max range where I shoot is 25 yards which is 75'. I can keep 98 out of 100 within the K5 zone on a B21 target. For some reason I've Never EVER been able to get all 100 no matter how I try.

Did you mean 50 yards perhaps?

Nope, 50 ft. I've tried it with my XD45 and can't hit very often. I also don't practice it, so that is probably why.

WalkingWolf

Sounds as if his gun needs a "sight adjustment." At 30' it should shoot to point of aim, presuming good grip and no bad habits.

Raising the front sight picture is SOP for distance shots 75-100 yards with .357mags.

Older DA and SA revolver typically shot low at all but close combat distance, few feet. It was common so a shooter could dial in a revolver to their preference. Of course a 357 mag with fixed sights may not be that old. Heavy leading in the barrel will also cause a gun to shoot low, not sure why that is but just is. My police positive made in 1911 shoots low, everyone I have ever shot shoots low. Rather than filing the sight I raise the blade, actually is easier to aim that way considering the narrow notch on the older guns. My 44 mag Pietta 1873 also shot low new out of the box, again I would rather raise the blade than file it. If he is shooting a SA fixed sight revolver odds are the front sight is higher above the bore than the notch on the frame.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Nope, 50 ft. I've tried it with my XD45 and can't hit very often. I also don't practice it, so that is probably why.

Given some good training and practice we could get you hitting targets out a lot farther then 50 feet.

I could come up with a very reasonable training package for you.

Last edited:

MKEgal

protias said:
Have you ever tried to shoot at a target with a handgun more than 50'+ away? It is kind of difficult.
Yes, I have, at 50 yards.
Lying on my back, standing 2-handed, standing 1-handed (not as good at that, either hand).
I consistently hit a person-torso-sized target, and with a little regular practice can hit an 8" bullseye.
That's not great, no, but when am I going to be shooting anyone at 150'?
It's a trick, something to play with, and a way to be even better at shorter distances.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It gets proportionally harder when you are running, jumping and sliding for protection against incoming - its about getting off the X and not leaking bodily fluids in the process.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Lying on my back, standing 2-handed, standing 1-handed (not as good at that, either hand).
I consistently hit a person-torso-sized target, and with a little regular practice can hit an 8" bullseye.
It's a trick, something to play with, and a way to be even better at shorter distances.

The last deer with a handgun I shot was 60 yards double action with my 41 mag.

Read about the peach tree shoot out in Texas 56 yards

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1YCgCA&usg=AFQjCNFGk2T_opsc3rCNXaEyevVcSlWyew

Being able to hit targets at longer ranges is a good skill to have. That skill come with good training and practice

FreeInAZ

It gets proportionally harder when you are running, jumping and sliding for protection against incoming - its about getting off the X and not leaking bodily fluids in the process.

Some here use air soft pistols for combat simulation. (Wear protection - they are capable of knocking teeth/eyes out) It gives one a inexpensive way to practice hitting targets that move and shoot back. It is possible to weight them to match your pistol and use a holster as close to your EDC as you can find.

Shooting paper is better than nothing. But it pales to most other options.

Good thread +1.

Rusty Young Man

Some here use air soft pistols for combat simulation. (Wear protection - they are capable of knocking teeth/eyes out) It gives one a inexpensive way to practice hitting targets that move and shoot back. It is possible to weight them to match your pistol and use a holster as close to your EDC as you can find.

Shooting paper is better than nothing. But it pales to most other options.

Good thread +1.

All-metal, CO2 blow-back pistols are incredibly realistic in appearance, size, and function to their firearm counterparts. The more common/popular pistol platforms out there probably exist as a CO2 blow-back pistol, meaning you could probably use your EDC holster:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...lowback pistol&sprefix=all+metal+blow,aps,213

Example: P226
Sig P226.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Sig-Sauer-177cal-System-Full-Body-Blow/dp/B003M6PZAO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Last edited:

Law abider

You do this with a 45 cal?