• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what do you carry and how?

JHART

I carry open always. I carry a Glock 27 in a level 2 Blackhawk at exactly 3 oclock strong side.I choose a small gun because I stand a whopping 5'7". I think the smaller gun looks more proportionate to my size. Also, the Blackhawk does a great job keeping the gun snugged up to my body and with it being such a small package, I don't think it gets noticed as much and it is less intimidating, afterall, open carry is very new here and is a rare sight to see. I like to keep the negative comments I get to a minimum. And I do get them! And glares and stares! Mostly though, it goes unnoticed.

websterz

I open carry a full size 1911-A1 on my right hip in a level 2 Blackhawk holster. Two spare mags in a Bianchi mag pouch help balance it out. When I have to conceal I go with a CZ82 in 9x18 Mak in a homemade right side crossbreed style IWB. Again I carry spare mags in the Bianchi on my left.

callee11

I open carry a Springfield XD40 on my right hip with a fobus paddle holster. It is a lot easier for me to open carry as I am a big guy, but I did recently buy a Bersa Combat .380 I plan to conceal carry every now and then, just still trying to decide placement and holster.

Jayne&Vera

XD40 in an IMI retention paddle I cut maybe the top 1/3 of the front out of. I have a black leather one I use for more "formal" occasions, but wish someone made one with the same style passive retention in them. I also buffed the slid up to a nice puter shade for a two-tone effect.

Last edited:

Jordan6679

Recently I have been carrying my sw40ve in a right hand scabbard holster, I really like it vs my hanging cowboy holster I carry my Smith mod. 686, .357 with. I am on the lookout for a scabbard holster with a hammer strap for my smith, I like the high carry vs the hanging carry. When I conceal, I carry a smith mod. 642 airweight in a bianchi iwb. holster. Its light, comfortable and absolutely reliable.

Last edited:

toehanus

I carry either a 5" 1911 or a 4" 1911. If I OC, it is in a Safariland ALS. For cc, holsters vary.

Elm Creek Smith

I carry a 4 inch S&W Model 686-6 .357 Magnum in a Gall's-marked Gould & Goodrich black basketweave high-ride thumbbreak holster on my duty belt. :) I also carry a nickel-plated S&W Model 37 .38 Special in a pocket holster as a backup. :cool: Of course, that's just at work. I carry the S&W 686-6 as a duty weapon because I really hate Glocks and because I can qualify on the same course as the Glocksters with higher scores than they get.

On my own time, I carry a 3 inch S&W Model 13 .357 Magnum in an old, black basketweave Bucheimer "Concealer" and/or a nickel S&W Model 37 .38 Special in a pocket or a black Safety Speed spring holster worn crossdraw. If I don't tuck the shirt or wear a jacket, they can be concealed. Otherwise, eh. I carry the S&W Model 13 because, again, I can shoot perfect scores on qualification. The S&W Model 37 is harder to shoot, but it doesn't weigh anything, and it's pretty!

And, yes, when traveling, I have been known to put the S&W Model 37 in a ziplock bag and carry it into the shower with me.:shocker: (Sometimes you don't know what the area is like when you stop.)

Last edited:

Glock 1st fan

I carry a 4 inch S&W Model 686-6 .357 Magnum in a Gall's-marked Gould & Goodrich black basketweave high-ride thumbbreak holster on my duty belt. :) I also carry a nickel-plated S&W Model 37 .38 Special in a pocket holster as a backup. :cool: Of course, that's just at work. I carry the S&W 686-6 as a duty weapon because I really hate Glocks and because I can qualify on the same course as the Glocksters with higher scores that they get.

On my own time, I carry a 3 inch S&W Model 13 .357 Magnum in an old, black basketweave Bucheimer "Concealer" and/or a nickel S&W Model 37 .38 Special in a pocket or a black Safety Speed spring holster worn crossdraw. If I don't tuck the shirt or wear a jacket, they can be concealed. Otherwise, eh. I carry the S&W Model 13 because, again, I can shoot perfect scores on qualification. The S&W Model 37 is harder to shoot, but it doesn't weigh anything, and it's pretty!

And, yes, when traveling, I have been known to put the S&W Model 37 in a ziplock bag and carry it into the shower with me.:shocker: (Sometimes you don't know what the area is like when you stop.)

Funny you should mention this because I carry a glock 22 for duty. I have become proficient with it but I also have a cousin of the 686 which is th 681. The only difference is the 681 was only made for duty so they don't have adjustable sights.

I can takemy 681 and do amazing things on thhe range with it I could never do with my glock an for this reason the 681 sits more as my trophy then used to shoot but when I do I savor ever shot.

I would carry it but with the limitation of 6 shots versus 16 and the fact I work in schools and hospitals make needing the best equipment a must. Best not being number of shots and so forth but instead overall. Things like number of rounds ease of loading. Ability to store more ammo in less space. Dependibility, cost to own and shoot for practice as well as duty.

Make no mistake pound for pound I love my 681 more as a firearm but I love my glock for duty and sentimental reasons.

Elm Creek Smith

Funny you should mention this because I carry a glock 22 for duty. I have become proficient with it but I also have a cousin of the 686 which is th 681.

My 4 inch S&W Model 681 was appropriated by my wife after I put Crimson Trace grips on it. It's hers now. As for "high capacity," that's only important if you intend to miss a lot or you're going into combat. Like I said, I shoot the exact qualification course of fire as the Glocksters, and they have yet to outshoot me. Another benefit to carrying the 686 is the looks I get when people realize I'm carrying a real gun.

Glock 1st fan

My 4 inch S&W Model 681 was appropriated by my wife after I put Crimson Trace grips on it. It's hers now. As for "high capacity," that's only important if you intend to miss a lot or you're going into combat. Like I said, I shoot the exact qualification course of fire as the Glocksters, and they have yet to outshoot me. Another benefit to carrying the 686 is the looks I get when people realize I'm carrying a real gun.

I don't intend to miss a lot. But the simpl fact is if I should ever get into a fire fight again then variable go into play. Moving targets, should the bad guy use cover, how mny bad guys, lighting and the list goes on. It only takes one well placed round that's true but very few in life can stand and aim their gun calmly as a bad guy is shooting back. On one job I protect ovr 300 children. On a second job I protect over 200 staff at a hospital at any one time.

I'm not dumbing down the revolver and in fact am very attached to mine. Its just in the event of a shooting I would rather walk away with 44 rounds I never used then to get a perfect sight picture only to discover I needed one more round.

I agree revolvers are old faithful and love mine to pieces. Id even rather have the power of a .357 revolver round over my .40 any day.

An yes the 681 and 686 when drawn is a firearm that due to its shape and size commands attention

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I open carry a model 10 .38 revolver.

When Conceal carrying I carry a taurus model 85. Some times the model 85 is my "New York reload" for my model 10 (that is I carry the 85 concealed at the same time as the m10 is open...)

OC for ME

There is no such thing as just enough ammo. Or, ya can never have too much ammo.

Glock 1st fan

Sure!
I haven't quite settled on a Cerama/Duracoat color so I just used a buffer and about half took off the black coating that was so holster worn over the last decade.

I have a glock I bought 18 years ago and have carried it for duty ever since. Its been holstered, unholstered and reholstered so many times it is showing its wear. I showed my girl the other day how the finish is on its last legs it appears even. I have shot over a thousand to sometimes 2 thousand rounds a year through it and never once have I changed anything on it. Same springs and every thing.

A good firearm isnt one someone tells you is good. A good firearm isnt a pretty one firearm either. A good firearm is one that stands the test of time and fits your hand to a T.