• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arlington PD intimidates manager into trespassing OCers

stealthyeliminator

Arlington PD intimidates manager into trespassing OCers?

After obtaining explicit permission to OC while eating in the restaurant prior to even showing up, Arlington PD shows up with a squad of enforcers and potentially intimidate a timid manager into telling OCers that they have to leave the premises. Testimony states that one of the officers actually snickered and put up two thumbs down toward the OC group after they were asked to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgtO1WZTNUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3_-uX-Qd90

"Then we saw a Arlington police supervisor snicker at us and give us the THUMBS DOWN SIGN with both his hands. You must remember that many Citizens give us THUMBS UP as they pass by us. I guess Arlington police will never respect honest Citizens exercising their rights under the US CONSTITUTION."

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

And you are going to do what about this? Posting here will offer you no relief.

I don't think I understand the point you're trying make. Perhaps you're simply challenging me to do something more direct and impactful than just posting online about the incident?

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't think I understand the point you're trying make. Perhaps you're simply challenging me to do something more direct and impactful than just posting online about the incident?

No, I'm wondering what you are going to do about this other than just posting the facts of the transgression here.

Not challenging you to do something, just wondering if you are. I doubt that I could push you into doing something if you have chosen not to.

stealthyeliminator

No, I'm wondering what you are going to do about this other than just posting the facts of the transgression here.

Not challenging you to do something, just wondering if you are. I doubt that I could push you into doing something if you have chosen not to.

Is there any particular action you'd recommend? What would you do about it?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Is there any particular action you'd recommend? What would you do about it?

Well, now that you asked...

If you believe that the cops actually intimidated the store owner, then you can file a criminal complaint...intimidation is a crime. Go to the district/states attorney's office.

And if you believed it at the time of the occurrence, you could have placed the cops under citizen's arrest ~ but that is in the past..unless you have a time machine, this point is gone although you still could arrest them now. Generally, I do not recommend a citizen's arrest after the time period of the crime's occurrence as all it does is put one in civil jeopardy unnecessarily and there is little benefit that cannot be derived elsewhere (ie going to district attny).

Now, do you believe that the crime of intimidation occurred? Or do you think that the cops just talked to the owner w/o intimidating him? One must have a reasonable belief that a crime occurred to avoid a false report issue (that may be a serious issue). I think that people are more understanding about a citizen arrest or reporting issue ,made at the time of the alleged crime's occurrence rather than afterwards.

I did watch both videos ... I did not see any intimidation (not that this means intimidation did not occur).

Intimidation is a serious charge. It is in the title of the thread that you wrote. Perhaps you meant another word.

What would I do about it? Nothing .. I was not there and I see no evidence of a crime via the vids.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Well, now that you asked...

If you believe that the cops actually intimidated the store owner, then you can file a criminal complaint...intimidation is a crime. Go to the district/states attorney's office.

And if you believed it at the time of the occurrence, you could have placed the cops under citizen's arrest ~ but that is in the past..unless you have a time machine, this point is gone although you still could arrest them now. Generally, I do not recommend a citizen's arrest after the time period of the crime's occurrence as all it does is put one in civil jeopardy unnecessarily and there is little benefit that cannot be derived elsewhere (ie going to district attny).

Now, do you believe that the crime of intimidation occurred? Or do you think that the cops just talked to the owner w/o intimidating him? One must have a reasonable belief that a crime occurred to avoid a false report issue (that may be a serious issue). I think that people are more understanding about a citizen arrest or reporting issue ,made at the time of the alleged crime's occurrence rather than afterwards.

I did watch both videos ... I did not see any intimidation (not that this means intimidation did not occur).

Intimidation is a serious charge. It is in the title of the thread that you wrote. Perhaps you meant another word.

What would I do about it? Nothing .. I was not there and I see no evidence of a crime via the vids.

I feel that your suggestions are spot on but should probably be carried out by someone that was at least present. Unfortunately, I was not. I have edited the title and OP to be slightly less accusatory since I do not have hard evidence that intimidation actually took place. The testimony (by testimony I mean Facebook post) I have read is thoroughly convincing to me but I understand others being skeptical without video of the actual interaction between officer and manager.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I feel that your suggestions are spot on but should probably be carried out by someone that was at least present. Unfortunately, I was not. I have edited the title and OP to be slightly less accusatory since I do not have hard evidence that intimidation actually took place. The testimony (by testimony I mean Facebook post) I have read is thoroughly convincing to me but I understand others being skeptical without video of the actual interaction between officer and manager.

Unfortunately, store owners usually do whatever the police ask ... even gun shops.

When I had my ffl, I kicked out cops ... did not want their business, did not want them snooping about either.

Last edited:

rushcreek2

FACT: Whatever the specifics of the message conveyed by the Arlington PD , the result was that the business management made a decision to withdraw their invitation , and refuse to accommodate your meet & greet although it had already agreed to host your event.

Imagine if back during the 1960's uniformed officers of the same Arlington PD had taken it upon themselves to approach a Woolworth's manager for the purpose of "discouraging" him from serving a similar entourage of Blacks at the lunch counter because such activities were becoming a nuisance to their department.

The APD knows full well by now that your group poses no public safety concern. The department simply does not " approve " of your exercise of your constitutionally protected right. Thus far the APD has confined its activities to harassing your group of citizens with their assignment of patrol units specifically for the purpose of intimidating you with a drive- thru "presence". They know that you are not breaking any laws so they have now escalated their harassment of your group by peddling " influence " with businesses.

Federal civil rights action would seem to be in order if this continues. It might be worthwhile to consider finding an attorney interested in communicating the error of their ways leading them down the yellow brick road to a federal civil rights violation action.

One easy way to eliminate this recurring " nuisance " would seem to be simply stop hounding your group -especially when you have given the Police Chief a heads up as to the time and place of your event.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I recall how Houdini made his fame....he held events right next to, across the street etc., from where? A newspaper building.

So where is picketing issues best done? At a gov't building or newspaper building?

Have your next meeting next to a newspaper building, having coffee nearby .. maybe they'll send over a reporter. Have a coffee ready for him/her.

If making a political statement is your next meeting's objective.