• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB60 to be signed by da Governor

Fallschirjmäger

Full Text of HB60 As Passed

It is no longer necessary to call Governor Deal concerning HB60. Below is an invitation GCO received from Speaker David Ralston for all members of GCO to attend the signing of HB60. The invitation below is self-explanatory.
Jerry,

On behalf of the bill sponsors and myself, I would like to invite you and your membership to Ellijay next Wednesday, April 23rd, at the ETC Pavilion on the Coosawattee River where Governor Deal will sign House Bill 60, the Safe Carry Prote...ction Act of 2014. The bill signing ceremony begins at noon. After that, a BBQ lunch will be served open to those who can join us.

The address for the ETC Pavilion can be found below. Thanks and I look forward to seeing you and everyone in Ellijay next week.
Speaker Ralston

What: Bill Signing Ceremony for HB 60, The Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014

When: Wednesday, April 23, 12:00 p.m. (noon)

Who: Speaker Ralston
Governor Nathan Deal
Members of the General Assembly

Where: ETC Pavilion on the Coosawattee River
255 Legion Road
Ellijay, Georgia 30540

Thanks for all your efforts to get HB60 signed. After the bill is signed on Wednesday, we will have to wait until July 1, 2014 for the bill to take effect. Founding Board Member and Atlanta Gun Rights Examiner Ed Stone is planning a series of articles explaining what HB60 does for the people of GA in layman's terms so we can be prepared when the bill becomes law. We will also have a session at the 6th Annual GCO Convention on August 16.
Hope to see many of you at the ceremony!

aadvark

..., and about Time!

I am Truly Grateful for all of The Hard Work that Representatives Meadows, Jasperse, and Ralston put into This Bill.

This Legislation is The MOST Comprehensive Pro-Gun Reform for all of Georgia in The Entire History of The State!

aadvark

Fallschirjmäger

The bill HB60 has become “the most extreme gun bill in the country,” according to Rep. Dustin Hightower.

Getting press coverage ... lol
They better get a move on, or they'll be late for the barbeque (hosted by Speaker Ralston and specifically inviting GCO members) that will be immediately following the public signing by Gov. Deal.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Did this actually DO anything? I tried reading the whole thing, but as it ammended things taht were not included, I didn't learn a lot...

Can I still Sterile OC my RFB in Valdosta?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Did this actually DO anything? I tried reading the whole thing, but as it ammended things taht were not included, I didn't learn a lot...

You can read post #3's linked story ... I linked it there because it highlights some of the changes to the existing law.

Fallschirjmäger

Yes, you can still carry sterile as long as it's a long gun.

Some of the changes....

• [*]Makes bars the same as any other private property, they may still prohibit firearms just as they can prohibit wearing Auburn jerseys.
    [*]Partially restores the separation of Church and State by allowing churches to "opt in" on allowing members to be armed rather than the racially based prohibition of firearms in church that we had before
    [*]Removes fingerprinting from renewals of GWL's
    [*]Prohibits being stopped "merely for wearing a weapon" (same as you cannot be stopped "merely for driving a car")
    [*]Adds a $10 fine for not having a license in ones immediate possession (same as for forgetting a license when driving a car)
    [*]Introduces a $100 fine for forgetting that you are armed when attempting to pass into a secured area (rather than having federal charges or nothing) as long as you were not trying to commit a crime.
    [*]Introduces the possibility of having armed school officials on-site to respond to shootings rather than hiding under a desk and waiting for offices to show up​

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Makes bars the same as any other private property, they may still prohibit firearms just as they can prohibit wearing Auburn jerseys.

So I don't have to worry if a place is a bar or not. I don't drink anyway, so this is nice.

Partially restores the separation of Church and State by allowing churches to "opt in" on allowing members to be armed rather than the racially based prohibition of firearms in church that we had before

Kinda odd... Bar Owners have more property rights than Churches... This one is odd.

Removes fingerprinting from renewals of GWL's

Nice move there. Doesn't apply to me tho... ;-)

Prohibits being stopped "merely for wearing a weapon" (same as you cannot be stopped "merely for driving a car")

Seems more like a statutory clarification as it is already true.

Adds a $10 fine for not having a license in ones immediate possession (same as for forgetting a license when driving a car)

Wonder if this is going to be applied falsely for those who don't need the license, such as OC of Long Gun. I have nothing on my person when I OC. I prefer rights over privileges. I'll have to look over this closer because any time "must have license" language is messed with, tiny little things can change the whole game.

Introduces a $100 fine for forgetting that you are armed when attempting to pass into a secured area (rather than having federal charges or nothing) as long as you were not trying to commit a crime.

Didn't I see something that you are excepted if you immediately leave if/when you remember?

Introduces the possibility of having armed school officials on-site to respond to shootings rather than hiding under a desk and waiting for offices to show up

Best part.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
That 18 inch barrel thing is odd... Why not bring it in line with every other law on the subject that says 16 inches? That's why I carry my RFB instead of soemthing cheaper... Lugging around $3,000 of gun is kinda over the top, but all my other rifles are 16in...

HPmatt

From DrudgeReport - NBC news is going ape-shoot over the bill

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investi...-sign-controversial-gun-bill-wednesday-n86941

How about this quote:
Frank Rotondo, the executive director of the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, has blasted the law. "Police officers do not want more people carrying guns on the street,” said Rotondo, “particularly police officers in inner city areas."
-Yeah - we don't want LACs carrying guns where they need them the most....I guess this will cut down on overtime of cops and MEs attending to slaughter of innocents as opposed to non-urgent calls to come out and toe tag criminals....

cirrusly

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investi...-sign-controversial-gun-bill-wednesday-n86941

How about this quote:
Frank Rotondo, the executive director of the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, has blasted the law. "Police officers do not want more people carrying guns on the street,” said Rotondo, “particularly police officers in inner city areas."
-Yeah - we don't want LACs carrying guns where they need them the most....I guess this will cut down on overtime of cops and MEs attending to slaughter of innocents as opposed to non-urgent calls to come out and toe tag criminals....

FoxNews said:
Democrats resisted the proposal ... They argued that allowing guns in more places will not make society safer and may lead to more deaths.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/23/georgia-governor-to-sign-bill-expanding-gun-rights/

Most recently Chicago witnessed the lowest crime rate in decades and what is the significant legislative variable that changed in Chicago this past year? Glad to see this is getting signed, and glad to see it's getting some mainstream coverage.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member

And CBS just led the nightly news with it, as if it were DOOOOOOMSDAY.

As far as the bill being extreme, I would say it is extremely cool :) Though I haven't read the details, I did read all the signs the protestors were holding up. Everything they cited as a problem sounded like an excellent feature.

What is the thought process that goes into the gun banners minds? "Wow, you mean that people who live in public housing are allowed to have the fundamental basic human right of self defense? That would be treating them as if they are HUMANS, what is this world coming to?"

QUESTION -
Does open carry extend to visitors without licenses? What states now have reciprocity with Georgia? Amidst all the wailing and gnashing of teeth out there I am having problems finding actual facts.

Fallschirjmäger

The liberals are wetting themselves over this, just as they did over SB308 in 2010 and SB308 was a far, FAR more comprehensive bill.

Estimates were between 250 and 300 attendees, a great number of whom were openly armed. As the speaker's opening remarks said, "I don't think I've ever been in a safer place in Georgia."

On the other hand... the barbeque after the signing wasn't half bad but wasn't up to PraiseTheLard's standards.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

Well,,, GOOD FOR YOU ALLLL IN GEORGIA!!!!!

Ive been following this for some time,,, But
now its a DONE Deal!!
I knew that,,, But
now its on the Fox News Too!!!

P.S. We here in Washington cant carry in a bar,,, blood in the streets,, and all that....
I CAN,, carry in a restaurant and drink with dinner though...

Last edited: