Thread: Today in World History

Today in World History

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/holocau...deAMEX103.html

(April 19 - May 16, 1943)

-- Summary--
    The uprising of the Warsaw ghetto in April 1943 came as a complete surprise to the Nazis. A small number of young Jews armed mostly with pistols and a few rifles, hand grenades, and fire bombs offered a strong and desperate resistance to crack SS troops. Many German soldiers were killed or wounded, and only after days of hard fighting and the use of heavy weapons did the Nazis take control of the ghetto. Only a few Jews escaped through the canals; the others, many hundreds, either died during the fighting or were executed in the concentration camps.

Years later, during a TV show commemorating the uprising, one of the few Jewish survivors remarked, "There is one thing I regret very much; I didn't have a sub-machine gun."
    To resist tyranny or to make a contribution to the liberation of his own occupied country, a human being, as courageous as he may be, is helpless without weapons.

Even in countries where there is little danger of invasion or foreign occupation and oppression, a new threat is escalating; that of violent crime. In many towns and countries in the most advanced parts of the word, ordinary citizens are at the risk of being assaulted, raped, and often killed. In many regions the police are no longer able to protect the people. Worst of all, many countries forbid ordinary citizens from owning firearms. Criminals, who by definition don't respect laws, have no problem arming themselves and can therefore act with the abandon of a fox in an unguarded hen house.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

My grand uncle was injured in a firefight during the Warsaw Uprising, he was in the SS, a young Captain. I have a picture one of his soldiers took, in the war album he and my Grandfather (Wehrmacht) put together during, and after the war; A picture of my grand uncle executing one of the Jewish resistors, with a MP40. Kinda Ironic isn't it? The Jews wished they had a SMG, and in the end, they 'got' one. xD.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Whitney: thanks for the reminder/history lesson! Unfortunately, it seems our "representatives" must not have paid attention in history class.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    My grand uncle was injured in a firefight during the Warsaw Uprising, he was in the SS, a young Captain. I have a picture one of his soldiers took, in the war album he and my Grandfather (Wehrmacht) put together during, and after the war; A picture of my grand uncle executing one of the Jewish resistors, with a MP40. Kinda Ironic isn't it? The Jews wished they had a SMG, and in the end, they 'got' one. xD.
    That is just sick. I hope you typed that last part up while drunk.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-19-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Bolding
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Banned
    Sucks to be an anti when the chips are down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Whitney: thanks for the reminder/history lesson! Unfortunately, it seems our "representatives" must not have paid attention in history class.

That is just sick. I hope you typed that last part up while drunk.
    Nope, plain and sober. Don't you sad smiley face me young man! You can go up to your room and wait until your fathers come home and show you how to use those leather chaps correctly!
    Last edited by DrakeZ07; 04-19-2014 at 05:58 PM.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Nope, plain and sober. Don't you sad smiley face me young man! You can go up to your room and wait until your fathers come home and show you how to use those leather chaps correctly!
    Not sure what that means, but sorry about the sad smiley. I meant to use this one:
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

agreed gutshot.
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

Banned
    I had many neighbors from countries between Germany and Russia - they had a choice - fight for Germany or Russia.

Most hated the Russians and joined the German army. Some, after the war, joined the American army.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I had many neighbors from countries between Germany and Russia - they had a choice - fight for Germany or Russia.

Most hated the Russians and joined the German army. Some, after the war, joined the American army.
    Hell, just be glad it was Germany OR Russia. If Hitler hadn't have been such a pompous idiot, it might have been Germany AND Russia. People can thump their chests about "American Exceptionalism" all they want, but no one was going to beat 14 time zones of evil sh*theads. We just got lucky, and ended up with the guy who held 9 of those being on our side.
    "Now, why believe in anything they praise,
    When one hand holds them the victor,
    While the other holds the shovel to their graves?"
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez

The American Revolution begins — History.com This Day in History — 4/19/1775. April 19. American Revolution.

Where it began.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Never forget.