• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Today in World History

Whitney

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/holocaust/peopleevents/pandeAMEX103.html

(April 19 - May 16, 1943)

-- Summary--
The uprising of the Warsaw ghetto in April 1943 came as a complete surprise to the Nazis. A small number of young Jews armed mostly with pistols and a few rifles, hand grenades, and fire bombs offered a strong and desperate resistance to crack SS troops. Many German soldiers were killed or wounded, and only after days of hard fighting and the use of heavy weapons did the Nazis take control of the ghetto. Only a few Jews escaped through the canals; the others, many hundreds, either died during the fighting or were executed in the concentration camps.

Years later, during a TV show commemorating the uprising, one of the few Jewish survivors remarked, "There is one thing I regret very much; I didn't have a sub-machine gun."
To resist tyranny or to make a contribution to the liberation of his own occupied country, a human being, as courageous as he may be, is helpless without weapons.

Even in countries where there is little danger of invasion or foreign occupation and oppression, a new threat is escalating; that of violent crime. In many towns and countries in the most advanced parts of the word, ordinary citizens are at the risk of being assaulted, raped, and often killed. In many regions the police are no longer able to protect the people. Worst of all, many countries forbid ordinary citizens from owning firearms. Criminals, who by definition don't respect laws, have no problem arming themselves and can therefore act with the abandon of a fox in an unguarded hen house.

~Whitney

DrakeZ07

My grand uncle was injured in a firefight during the Warsaw Uprising, he was in the SS, a young Captain. I have a picture one of his soldiers took, in the war album he and my Grandfather (Wehrmacht) put together during, and after the war; A picture of my grand uncle executing one of the Jewish resistors, with a MP40. Kinda Ironic isn't it? The Jews wished they had a SMG, and in the end, they 'got' one. xD.

Rusty Young Man

Whitney: thanks for the reminder/history lesson!:) Unfortunately, it seems our "representatives" must not have paid attention in history class.

My grand uncle was injured in a firefight during the Warsaw Uprising, he was in the SS, a young Captain. I have a picture one of his soldiers took, in the war album he and my Grandfather (Wehrmacht) put together during, and after the war; A picture of my grand uncle executing one of the Jewish resistors, with a MP40. Kinda Ironic isn't it? The Jews wished they had a SMG, and in the end, they 'got' one. xD.

That is just sick. I hope you typed that last part up while drunk.:(

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Sucks to be an anti when the chips are down.

DrakeZ07

Whitney: thanks for the reminder/history lesson!:) Unfortunately, it seems our "representatives" must not have paid attention in history class.

That is just sick. I hope you typed that last part up while drunk.:(

Nope, plain and sober. Don't you sad smiley face me young man! You can go up to your room and wait until your fathers come home and show you how to use those leather chaps correctly!

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Nope, plain and sober. Don't you sad smiley face me young man! You can go up to your room and wait until your fathers come home and show you how to use those leather chaps correctly!

Not sure what that means, but sorry about the sad smiley. I meant to use this one:
shaking-no-smiley-emoticon.gif

davidmcbeth

Banned
I had many neighbors from countries between Germany and Russia - they had a choice - fight for Germany or Russia.

Most hated the Russians and joined the German army. Some, after the war, joined the American army.

Gallowmere

I had many neighbors from countries between Germany and Russia - they had a choice - fight for Germany or Russia.

Most hated the Russians and joined the German army. Some, after the war, joined the American army.

Hell, just be glad it was Germany OR Russia. If Hitler hadn't have been such a pompous idiot, it might have been Germany AND Russia. People can thump their chests about "American Exceptionalism" all they want, but no one was going to beat 14 time zones of evil sh*theads. We just got lucky, and ended up with the guy who held 9 of those being on our side.