• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to say when people complain they are "uncomfortable" because of your gun?

Bernymac

It doesnt matter what you tell them, you still have to leave. People think they can carry in any store or resturant. all the owners have to do put up a sign NO WEAPONS or ask u to leave or both. So guns can be even more restrictive,than u realize.:banghead::banghead:

Nice first post. However, you need to do more research about the audience you are trying convince when you write as if you actually know what you are prattling on about. :eek::shocker:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
While I related above the only time someone told me she was afraid of my gun, I have several times had a conversation like:

Q: Are you a cop?
A: No.
Q: You're carry a gun?!
A: Yes. * go on about my business*

Now, on some occasions, I have replied to the "are you a cop?" with "No. Why do you ask?" if I am inclined to have a conversation which is usually related to how bored I am waiting for my wife to finish shopping/talking or how cute the chick asking is. :lol:

stealthyeliminator

I recall once someone that had called the police about us carrying guns in a restaurant said she didn't want to see any guns in public at all. I wish I had thought to ask that question, "then why did you call more people with guns?" Of course the answer is because she thought those other people with guns would take away our guns and toss us in the slammer for daring to live like free people. :O

OC Freedom

Why do you carry gun?

My response "what gun"?

"That one on your belt"

Your mistaken, that's a "Personal Safety Device", I can see that since you don't have one, how you could get confused between the two.

I don't refer to my pistol with the public anymore as a gun, it's a personal safety device. If anti-gun libs can use P.C. to rename gun control to gun sense or gun safety, I figure, well why not do the same thing.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Sarcasm can be a great hobby.

Q: Are you a cop?
A: No.
Q: You're carry a gun?!
A: Yes. * go on about my business*

Now, on some occasions, I have replied ........................

Says he..."Are you a Cop?"
Says I......"Is there trouble?"
Says he...."no,but..."
Says I.......:Then everything is OK." and walk away.

Says he...."Why are you carrying a gun?"
Says I..... "Why do you assume I have just one?"

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I don't refer to my pistol with the public anymore as a gun, it's a personal safety device. If anti-gun libs can use P.C. to rename gun control to gun sense or gun safety, I figure, well why not do the same thing.
I think there is some validity to that tactic.

A few weeks ago I went into a quick shop I frequent with a friend and overheard the new clerk exclaim quietly to a long-timer "is that a gun!". I didn't even pause and just went on with getting my purchase, paying and leaving and no one said anything to me as usual. So we get outside and friend asked if I heard the comment, I did, and what I would have said if the question had been addressed to me directly. I responded that I wish I had been asked because the first thing that popped into my mind when she said, and the response I would have given if asked, "is that a gun" would have been "No, that's the new G-series i-Phone".

It just cracks me up for some very stupid reason. Still haven't been asked. :(

Superlite27

If anyone has the nerve to inform me that my lawfully carried firearm scares them or makes them uncomfortable, I usually question them about their decision to confront me about it......

"Ma'am, if my holstered firearm makes me frightening, why are you confronting me and insulting me by calling me a frightening person to my face? Shouldn't you be running away in terror, or does the fact that you feel comfortable enough to be a (insert choice) to me, a complete stranger, make your claim an obvious lie?"

I often adjust the response in relativity to the "bitchyness" (or in a man's case, "assholiness") of the person who is NOT scared enough to rudely confront me about it.

However, the only people who have approached me and mentioned anything about being "uncomfortable" have been female.

I was approached by a guy in Barnes and Noble and sneeringly asked, "Do you really think you need that in here?", once.

I turned to him and asked, "Do you think the 22 people George Hennard shot and killed in Luby's Cafeteria thought they needed a gun there?"

After a moment of "deer in the headlights" blank stare while his mind was formulating a response, I informed him, "I'll gladly stop carrying it if you can tell me exactly where and when the next mass shooting will be."

Upon which, I believe he realized that he was mentally unprepared for anything requiring rational thought, so he just turned and silently walked away.

As an open carrier, we are a visible representation of the firearms community, so you have to use discretion when dealing with the public. As representatives, it is our responsibility to promote a good view of gun owners, as a whole. The last thing we want to do is alienate people, or be a jerk to anyone who will use it to paint us all with a broad brush.

Look at the frat boys who got drunk and spit on the disabled veterans: Because of the actions of a few completely dimwitted morons, the entire Zeta Beta Tau fraternity is under fire. Their entire organization has performed tons of charity work, is a really good Greek organization who focuses on academics.....

....and is now being destroyed on their social media page, and under a spotlight nationally because of the despicable acts of a few of their drunken idiot members.

Trust me. Zeta Beta Tau will be synonymous with spitting on the flag for awhile. Not a good thing to put on your resume.

Same thing for Open Carriers. DON'T BE A JERK.

However, you can use your intuition to judge: Is the person accosting me truly "afraid"? If so, you can use this is a WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY to dispel his or her mistaken opinion of lawfully armed citizens. This is your chance to create another person in this world who thinks, "You know, those open carry guys are pretty nice."

On the other hand, you can also use your intuition to tell when the guy making a snide comment to you is doing so out of adherence to an anti-gun agenda and wishes to use the opportunity to foist his anti-2A ideals on to you. This person is not going to form a new opinion as the one they already have is fixed and written in stone.

These people I like to offer some food for thought by responding to their "Oooooh! You're scaring everyone!" comments with questions that can only have answers contradicting their beliefs.

I mean imagine: If you are truly anti-gun, and someone asks you if you think the people in Luby's wished they had a gun as George Hennard was shooting everyone in the head....could you honestly answer "No"? Your mouth might say "No", but in your head, you've got to know the truth.

Last edited:

XD40sc

I've owned it for years, and it has yet to harm anyone. Perhaps you need to act like an adult.

PeterNSteinmetz

I was surprised to see this recent necro thread. Should this get a sticky? I agree many of the answers here are like Mad's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions.

mp06011999

When I've the time I've said, "Yea, I can remember when gays, blacks or mixed (salt & pepper) couples in public made people uncomfortable. Glad we got past that. Give it time."

But more times than not my answer is usually, "I carry for self-defense and I open carry so that there is NO confusion that I WILL use deadly force to defend myself. If I were a bad guy, I sure wouldn't be advertising it."

But, luckily I live in Nevada where I do not typically encounter such irrational antis.

Last edited: