• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC spotted

Jayne&Vera

I think the forum listing open carry experiences has slowed because we are just used to our own day-to-day routine. The overall public Non-event has been nice.
On the other hand, are we seeing others open carrying more frequently and where?

For example, last weekend I spotted a couple on a motorcycle at the QT at 11th & Sheridan. Welcome, whoever they are!

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

The reason for slow posts may also be due to the notion that ONLY interesting (read: eventful) OC experiences should be posted.
I'm guilty of succumbing to this notion as well, and should post something for an outing on Saturday in the AZ forum.

I'm sure it would help newcomers feel more at ease with OC in their respective state if they read "No event", "No issues", "Nobody said anything", "No problems" after each entry's "I OCed around _______".

OT: The last OCer I spotted around Tucson was an employee of Miller's Surplus on 6th and 6th. Not sure he counts as a "unicorn", seeing as the store kind of attracts the armed persuasion.:confused: The first&last TRUE unicorn I spotted was at Sam's Club in Tucson about a month ago. Carried a Taurus 1911 (one of the double-stack models), wore a cowboy hat, and even had one of those bolo ties!:) Forgot to tell him about OCDO.:banghead:

Last edited:

Glock 1st fan

I think the forum listing open carry experiences has slowed because we are just used to our own day-to-day routine. The overall public Non-event has been nice.
On the other hand, are we seeing others open carrying more frequently and where?

For example, last weekend I spotted a couple on a motorcycle at the QT at 11th & Sheridan. Welcome, whoever they are!

Honestly its not just the experiences forum that's slowed down its just basically the new is wearing off. While a percentage of the licensed to carry are still vocal most have just came to realize its legal and they either do it or they don't.

Check out any firearms site and even the antis and you'll see both sides are for now cooling down or at least in Oklahoma. There is newer news coming out like obamacare screw ups and the nevada standoff that's simply diverting peoples interest from open carry.

Take for example I posted about a park in moore that listed on its rules no firearms. Another poster more familiar with moore and their ordinance clarified what I was seeking but none the less the sign is misleading. A year ago it would have hundreds of post but now its reduced to less then 10 replies to my post.

Last edited:

Jayne&Vera

Honestly its not just the experiences forum that's slowed down its just basically the new is wearing off. While a percentage of the licensed to carry are still vocal most have just came to realize its legal and they either do it or they don't.

Check out any firearms site and even the antis and you'll see both sides are for now cooling down or at least in Oklahoma. There is newer news coming out like obamacare screw ups and the nevada standoff that's simply diverting peoples interest from open carry.

Take for example I posted about a park in moore that listed on its rules no firearms. Another poster more familiar with moore and their ordinance clarified what I was seeking but none the less the sign is misleading. A year ago it would have hundreds of post but now its reduced to less then 10 replies to my post.

Yes Glock, I saw & put in my two cents there about spotting a sign on a Tulsa park, last week as a matter of fact.

Nevertheless, I thought this might be a subject that draws more interest among members. Meetups of whatever kind make face to face meetings rare so I thought people could use encouragement that they have more than the few posters here, standing with them out there in the real world.

Glock 1st fan

Yes Glock, I saw & put in my two cents there about spotting a sign on a Tulsa park, last week as a matter of fact.

Nevertheless, I thought this might be a subject that draws more interest among members. Meetups of whatever kind make face to face meetings rare so I thought people could use encouragement that they have more than the few posters here, standing with them out there in the real world.

It would be awesome. When I was a board member of okoca we regularly had meetings with large turnouts. It was in the works too to have discounted classes on things like weapons retention and ccw for family members at deep discounts (their are still cost involved) but due to time restraints I was not able to continue on.

I would still suggest for people to get together though the community needs more then meetings. It needs involvement and purpose. Get togethers for traning and exciting things like idpa competitions. These are cheap and involves what firearm owners love most. Using their firearms.

callee11

I saw someone OC in homeland the other day... On a side note that was the first person I have ever seen OC.. aside from the shooting events I have attended. Kinda strange considering there are a lot of us out there.

Glock 1st fan

Last check I had there was over 300,000 permits in ok. Factor in that half conceal many don't have firearms possbly due to needing money and many more only occasionally carry there is a lot of land t cover for the remaining portion of the state it wouldn't be an everyday site to see someone oc.

Most people utlize oc for accidental exposure but there are still a lot of us who utlize it for open carry
PHP:

toehanus

I have only seen two people OC, other than myself, since the law went into effect. However, I work where I don't have contact with the public and carry is not allowed. I would guess that en employee of a convenience store or walmart would probably have seen a lot more people OC.

JHART

It would be great if more people would open carry. I have seen 3 people doing it in a year and a half. I am always paying attention and watching for it. I believe it is very rare that anyone chooses this method of carry. From time to time I ask cashiers around town if they have seen anyone else besides myself come through their line open carrying. Most always the answer is no. Highest number I've had anyone say was 2. I feel like a lone wolf! I have acquaintances, coworkers. and friends that will only carry concealed. Some tell me they wont ever open carry, because they want the element of surprise, or they say don't want to be first one shot. Two people I know say they simply don't have the nerve to do it, and wouldn't like the attention.

callee11

Last check I had there was over 300,000 permits in ok. Factor in that half conceal many don't have firearms possbly due to needing money and many more only occasionally carry there is a lot of land t cover for the remaining portion of the state it wouldn't be an everyday site to see someone oc.

Most people utlize oc for accidental exposure but there are still a lot of us who utlize it for open carry
PHP:

Yeah I understand I wouldn't see it every day, it is just odd I don't ever see it is all Im saying lol. I prefer to open carry

okiephlyer

It would be great if more people would open carry. I have seen 3 people doing it in a year and a half. I am always paying attention and watching for it. I believe it is very rare that anyone chooses this method of carry. From time to time I ask cashiers around town if they have seen anyone else besides myself come through their line open carrying. Most always the answer is no. Highest number I've had anyone say was 2. I feel like a lone wolf! I have acquaintances, coworkers. and friends that will only carry concealed. Some tell me they wont ever open carry, because they want the element of surprise, or they say don't want to be first one shot. Two people I know say they simply don't have the nerve to do it, and wouldn't like the attention.

The element of surprise and the first one shot are 2 myths that we face a lot, mostly from the CC only crowd. If they want to CC only, more power to 'em. I just wish they would stop spreading falsehoods as their reason.
As to the element of surprise, that always goes to the first to act. That is usually the BG. If you see something about to happen, and are ready to act, then your SA is working for you, and CC or OC won't matter.
Being the first one shot is another urban myth. Not to say it can't happen, just saying that it doesn't happen. There is a member here on OCDO that is offering a substantial reward for a verified story where a OC-LAC was the first target because he/she was OC.
So far, I have seen about a dozen OC'ers, and wish the number were much higher.
Carry on.

Glock 1st fan

The element of surprise and the first one shot are 2 myths that we face a lot, mostly from the CC only crowd. If they want to CC only, more power to 'em. I just wish they would stop spreading falsehoods as their reason.
As to the element of surprise, that always goes to the first to act. That is usually the BG. If you see something about to happen, and are ready to act, then your SA is working for you, and CC or OC won't matter.
Being the first one shot is another urban myth. Not to say it can't happen, just saying that it doesn't happen. There is a member here on OCDO that is offering a substantial reward for a verified story where a OC-LAC was the first target because he/she was OC.
So far, I have seen about a dozen OC'ers, and wish the number were much higher.
Carry on.

I wouldn't call them myths but more so less likely. There is always a chance of first shot and how element can be better. Here is the deal on why I wouldn't call it a myth. Anyone can be struck by lightining. Anyone can have a blowout while on the highway causing a fatality. Anyone can get into a fisyfight and die from injuries.

There are pros and cons to cc and oc both and one simply has to ask which they would prefer. A low key tactical advantage in cc or a tactical advantage in having less clothing to have to clear by ocing. Both have tactical advantages.

While I 95 percent of the time cc I do admit that there are times I prefer oc. The only wish I have and its not asking for anyone to do anything but I do wish it were more readily available and affordable for people to take a retenions class. I've done my career for nearly 18 years and I've had a few occasions I've had to fight to keep mine. I'm not saying an ocer has ever had his gun taken but facing reality it is always a possibility.

Thanks everyone for carrying either way. Your making america safer one carrier at a time.

Amigatec

I saw my first OC the other day, he was carring a Glock 41 in a Serpa.

I had a talk with a guy at work about OC, and he was so wrong on his thinking I didn't have time to correct him.
First he believes you shouldn't carry any gun with a caliber that doesn't start with a 4.
Second he hates Glocks because the're ugly.
Third when you OC you give up your "Tactical Advantage".
Fourth most people that OC do so as some kind of fashion statement.

His CC gun is a 1911.

EVERYONE of these statements are absolutely false, this is the kind of person that gives us all a bad name.

Glock 1st fan

I saw my first OC the other day, he was carring a Glock 41 in a Serpa.

I had a talk with a guy at work about OC, and he was so wrong on his thinking I didn't have time to correct him.
First he believes you shouldn't carry any gun with a caliber that doesn't start with a 4.
Second he hates Glocks because the're ugly.
Third when you OC you give up your "Tactical Advantage".
Fourth most people that OC do so as some kind of fashion statement.

His CC gun is a 1911.

EVERYONE of these statements are absolutely false, this is the kind of person that gives us all a bad name.

From what I can tell it sounds more like opinions then statements. If its his opinion then id say its a difference of opinion more then false statements. I personally as an example believe only in .357 for a revolver and only 40 for a semiauto. Does that mean your wrong for anything different?

Now the last line I believe is to some extent a fashion statement and I agree many people do use it as a fashion statement I would say that percentage is probably not very high.

Id honestly say that the number one answer is people see crime rising and no girl wants to be raped and no guy wants to be hospitalized as a result of being a victim.

Glocks to me are the cat meow but that's not to say others will like them.

As for his 1911 I'm not a fan myself because I don't like single action firearms. I love the 1911 just not a fan

okiephlyer

Tactics - What you do when the brain says it's time to act. Do you really give up a tactical advantage by OC'ing? I think not. When you study the criminal mind, not through movies and TV, but by research into the criminal mind, you see that they will go somewhere else if they see a citizen with a gun. If they don't see the citizen with a gun when they decide to act, the citizen will have a faster draw from an OC rig than a CC rig. I am assuming that the citizen is the same person in both cases, OC and CC. Same level of training, experience, etc.
Strategy - What you do to avoid having to use your tactics. Things like parking under lights, keeping your head on a swivel, don't hang out in the wrong places, etc. If a criminal sees a citizen with a gun, he will go elsewhere to commit his crime.
The advantage goes to strategic thinking. but still be ready to employ your tactics.

Rusty Young Man

Tactics - What you do when the brain says it's time to act. Do you really give up a tactical advantage by OC'ing? I think not. When you study the criminal mind, not through movies and TV, but by research into the criminal mind, you see that they will go somewhere else if they see a citizen with a gun. If they don't see the citizen with a gun when they decide to act, the citizen will have a faster draw from an OC rig than a CC rig. I am assuming that the citizen is the same person in both cases, OC and CC. Same level of training, experience, etc.
Strategy - What you do to avoid having to use your tactics. Things like parking under lights, keeping your head on a swivel, don't hang out in the wrong places, etc. If a criminal sees a citizen with a gun, he will go elsewhere to commit his crime.
The advantage goes to strategic thinking. but still be ready to employ your tactics.

Which can be reduced to: "Strategy is prevention, tactics are the cure/containment."

Jayne&Vera

Tulsa Walmart regulars

Talked with a fourth person in the South Memorial Walmart today. He expressed some guilt to me that he only had his little pocket pistol CC'd since the family had gone to the pool.
Hey, almost anything is better than nothing!