Thread: Legal Shooting Area???

Legal Shooting Area???

Was planning on taking a camping trip up around Mt. Charleston. Specifically the area west of the 95. if you follow Lee Canyon rd to Macks Canyon rd/73. Its a narrow trail that goes back at least a few miles or so and eventually dead ends. I drove through there last week and not much of anything along that road but wilderness.

My question is, does anybody know if it is legal to shoot in that area or does it fall within a non-shooting area??

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    Was planning on taking a camping trip up around Mt. Charleston. Specifically the area west of the 95. if you follow Lee Canyon rd to Macks Canyon rd/73. Its a narrow trail that goes back at least a few miles or so and eventually dead ends. I drove through there last week and not much of anything along that road but wilderness.

My question is, does anybody know if it is legal to shoot in that area or does it fall within a non-shooting area??
    Mt Charleston is part of the Spring Mountains in the Humbolt-Toiyabe National Forest of Nevada. They do allow hunting. I know the area and have been to the dead end. Just a guess on my part however it is plenty far enough from residents, making sure of your backstop I would believe you would be good to go. They will limit shooting along with campfires not in campgrounds during dry months with postings. Not much help with the question may be someone will replay with a real answer.

Did find this

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/htnf/n...TELPRDB5425607

Contact info Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest
    1200 Franklin Way
    Sparks, NV 89431
    (775) 331-6444
    FAX: (775) 355-5399

Fire Restrictions Prohibit:

1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire (using wood, charcoal or any other material), campfire, or stove fire except a portable stove using gas or pressurized liquid fuel, outside of a developed fee campground or picnic area (except by permit).

2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or at a developed campground or picnic area.

3. Welding, or operating an acetylene torch with open flames, except by permit.

4. Using or causing to be used, any explosive, except by permit.

5. Possession or use of fireworks (always prohibited), or any other incendiary device.

6. Use of tracer rounds, steel-core ammunition or exploding targets including Binary Explosive Targets while recreational shooting.

7. Open burning (e.g. weeds, brush and yard debris).

Number 6 tells what is not allow while doing recreational shooting. Again just a guess however looks like you would be good to go.

Thanks 28kfps

Doesnt seem anybody else has any input on it so I guess i'll give it a shot. I'll contact ya if I need bail

I think you're good to shoot there. I've never shot in area.

From the Forrest service website.
    You can target shoot on national forest lands unless a specific area has been closed to the activity because it jeopardizes public safety. Information about closures is available at each district office. When target shooting, Forest Service regulations prohibit discharging a firearm:
    In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area,
    Across or on roads or bodies of water, or where people or property are exposed to injury or damage,
    Into a cave,
    Causing resource damage; donít shoot trees, rocks, stumps, non-game animals.
    Violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both (16 U.S.C. 551, 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571).

But this is free internet advice. So buyer beware.