• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What caliber for new simian overlords?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Bonobo makes fire from scratch, toasts marsmallows, burns mouth. (There's a video, too.)

Next thing you know they will be smelting metal and manufacturing weapons.

We're doomed! Doomed, I say.

I suppose I ought to get in line to welcome our new simian overlords.

BTW - the first person to make a "Planet of the Apes" (or sequel) reference gets thrown in the monkey pit.

stay safe.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/04/...rid7|htmlws-main-bb|dl8|sec1_lnk3&pLid=467268

Bonobo Kanzi Makes Campfires
***EXCLUSIVE*** DES MOINES, IA - NOVEMBER 11: Kanzi, 31, opens his backpack to get the tools needed to make fire on November 11, 2011 in Des Moines, Iowa. It was a pivotal moment in history that separated man from other primates. Over a million years ago humankind began to conquer its fear of fire and use it as a tool. But now one special ape - a 31-year-old bonobo chimpanzee called Kanzi at the Great Ape Trust in Des Moines, Iowa - is showing us just how close we really are. Astonishingly the male chimp's favourite things to do is make campfires. PHOTOGRAPH BY Laurentiu Garofeanu/ Barcroft USA /Barcoft Media via Getty Images

Kanzim a 31-year-old bonobo chimpanzee, is already well known for his remarkable abilities to read symbols and understand novel sentences. Now, he's demonstrating his intelligence by actually building a fire from scratch (well, almost). Once the fire is going, he gently pushes marshmallows onto a stick and chows down on the delicious snack.

"It was a pivotal moment in history that separated man from other primates," Barcroft explains in a photo caption. "Over a million years ago humankind began to conquer its fear of fire and use it as a tool. But now one special ape ... at the Great Ape Trust in Des Moines, Iowa - is showing us just how close we really are."

The only thing he has yet to master is the whole wait-a-second-before-the-treats-cool-down thing ... but then again, most humans could use a lesson in that, too.[.quote]