• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting in air to scare a moose ....

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.reformer.com/morelocalnews/ci_25597985/moose-charges-snowmobile-flees-after-warning-shot

http://www.wlbz2.com/story/news/2014/04/19/snowmobilers-moose/7905993/

vid with bottom one

The lefties are all tied all up in knots? Shoot the moose ..v.. bullet flying off

I think she'll upgrade her carry gun !

Moose facts:

On average, an adult moose stands 1.4–2.1 m (4.6–6.9 ft) high at the shoulder, which is more than a foot higher than the next largest deer on average, the Elk.[63] Males (or "bulls") weigh 380–700 kg (840–1,540 lb) and females (or "cows") typically weigh 200–360 kg (440–790 lb).
"Moose". Env.gov.nl.ca. Archived from the original on January 2, 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-27.

That's alot of moose !

Last edited:

RK3369

what a dumb a**

he was chasing the animal with the snowmobile. What the heck did he expect. I'm sure the Moose took it like they would respond to a chasing Wolf, turn around, stand your ground and perhaps charge. I think DNR should have given the guy a warning citation saying be a little more tolerant of wildlife. Good thing the Moose didn't actually make contact with it's front feet, then probably DNR would have had to track it down a shoot it, all because the guy on the snowmobile couldn't leave it alone. It was only defending itself from what it considered to be a threat.

Tactical9mm

he was chasing the animal with the snowmobile. What the heck did he expect. I'm sure the Moose took it like they would respond to a chasing Wolf, turn around, stand your ground and perhaps charge. I think DNR should have given the guy a warning citation saying be a little more tolerant of wildlife. Good thing the Moose didn't actually make contact with it's front feet, then probably DNR would have had to track it down a shoot it, all because the guy on the snowmobile couldn't leave it alone. It was only defending itself from what it considered to be a threat.

Agreed. It was also not responsible to fire a round into the air. Who knows where it will be coming down, and who just might happen to be in the round's way?

Just trying to generate noise to make the animal flee, I would have put a round safely into the ground. I wouldn't have been in that situation to begin with though, because when you see a moose in circumstances like that you immediately stop whatever it is you are doing. You give it space to move off. You don't keep rolling up and tailgate it.

As you say, what did they seriously expect?

RK3369

probably.........

urban or suburban dwellers with little experience with wildlife. I've hunted for years and have nothing against taking an animal in the hunt, but when you are dealing with an animal of such size, you better give it plenty of berth when you come upon one. If it was a cow, it might have had a late calf or yearling with it somewhere and perhaps was protecting that youngster. Also, if you hear about many bear attacks, they often seem to be related to a female protecting her cubs. These people just need to be a little smarter about being in the domain of large animals. And I agree, discharging the round into the ground was the best action. I certainly wouldn't want to try to kill a moose with a handgun either. Probably just piss it off..

mikeyb

Idiot humans.

Riding, then chasing a moose (albeit shortly) on a snowmobile. While a gunshot is louder than a snowmobile, at that point, it doesn't matter. If they didn't run away from the snowmobile, what makes them think they'll run from a gun shot? When you see wildlife in their natural habitat, you slow down and let them move off.

The warning shot, as you could see, did nothing to startle the moose. More than likely, the moose got a whiff of the powder and that made it back away.

While I'm no moose expert, I have viewed them close (or at least close enough- about 20 yards). Give them room, they won't give you any problems.

RK3369

example

this could actually be cited to the antis as an example of the "natural" case of stand your ground. The moose was in a place it had a legal right to be, it was doing nothing illegal, it felt threatened by the conduct of the idiot chasing it on the snowmobile, so it stood it's ground and attacked in self defense.

Perfect case in point to argue to the antis that stand your ground actually is a naturally occurring law.

Tactical9mm

The really funny thing about that clip happened after the guy discharged his nine'ish sounding round. The moose just stood there eyeballing him, with an "are you serious?" aura being conveyed.

Whenever I go out in the deep woods in these parts I always take an air-horn with me. Great "just in case" survival tool that will send any wildlife fleeing after a blast in their direction, as well as alert people in the event of an emergency (if I'm outside cell coverage range).

Those people in that video were just so unprepared. Scary, but I'm glad it turned out okay with no human, or animal injuries.

RK3369

so here's today's followup story..............

http://www.wcvb.com/news/couple-charged-by-moose-under-investigation/25615214#!FLux0

the guy should get a ticket for harassing wildlife. And to show how poor the state of news reporting is in this country, the article says "the moose fled after the wife fired a warning shot".... Didn't look to me like the moose fled too quickly. Must be he or she decided that they had made their stand and it was time to retire. These people are fools and they deserve to get a ticket for harassing that animal. They are lucky it wasn't a bear.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.wcvb.com/news/couple-charged-by-moose-under-investigation/25615214#!FLux0

the guy should get a ticket for harassing wildlife. And to show how poor the state of news reporting is in this country, the article says "the moose fled after the wife fired a warning shot".... Didn't look to me like the moose fled too quickly. Must be he or she decided that they had made their stand and it was time to retire. These people are fools and they deserve to get a ticket for harassing that animal. They are lucky it wasn't a bear.

The moose probably wouldn't show up for the trial. Lazy moose.

A moose can mess you up ... they got very lucky.

RK3369

for sure........

something that big is like a horse. We kept horses for years. When they go after something like a coyote or dog with their front feet, they are lethal weapons if they strike in the right place. That moose could have the same effect on a human body. Like I said, they were lucky it wasn't a bear but then, perhaps he would have been a little smarter and not chased it up a trail for a quarter mile.

Tactical9mm

After doing a little research on this, found out the pistol the woman used was a .380.

The couple is looking at a max fine of $500 for the wildlife abuse if Maine pursues it, which I really hope they do in this case.