• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting HOA issue to watch

TFred

[snip...] Anyway, the associations I've seen that have had problems have always been due not to fascists but to one or two fruitcakes with excessive need for control. When you get someone who really needs to run other peoples' lives and no one else wants the job (because they're sane), you get whacky results. I think the answer in such situations is simply to abolish the HOA.
That's exactly what I was going to say... in my HOA, which is generally OK, although they had a crazy idea about a neighborhood-wide 5 mph speed limit one year, the participation rate at the annual meeting is abysmal - somewhere around 10% representation. More often than not, they can't fill the board with folks willing to sit on it. Throw in one or two folks who have some power grab or control complex, and it's a formula for disaster.

TFred

TFred

This issue has come up several times in the past few years, and thus far, I've resisted the urge to do the research necessary to form an opinion. I finally broke down and actually thought about it and the following is my opinion; I'd be willing to argue it in court, but don't think of it as anything more than my opinion until some appellate court rules on the issue.
Thank you very much for your thoughts. I think we all (at least I certainly did) overlooked the "authority," and how an HOA would fall under that provision.

So, just to state it again for clarity, you believe that HOAs are fully subject to 15.2-915, regarding the whole list of firearms related actions they cannot regulate: [the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof...]

?

You might want to keep an eye on the guy in the linked article, you might find yourself a client here soon!

TFred

Thundar

This issue has come up several times in the past few years, and thus far, I've resisted the urge to do the research necessary to form an opinion. I finally broke down and actually thought about it and the following is my opinion; I'd be willing to argue it in court, but don't think of it as anything more than my opinion until some appellate court rules on the issue.

I've come to the conclusion that, under the Property Owner's Association Act, an HOA lacks the power to control ownership or possession of firearms, period. The reason has to do with the definition of "locality" contained within the statute. There is a clear exception for state-controlled and incarceration facilities. By the principle, "expressio unius alterius exclusio est" (the expression of one thing is the exclusion of any other), that specific reference to those facilities means that they were intended to be excluded from the operation of the statute, but no other "authority" created by law was so excluded. Since a homeowners' association is created by authority of a state statute as a local self-regulating body, it falls within the definition of an "authority" as to which the statute applies, which is clearly distinguished from "local government" by the word, "or" in the statute. (There are "authorities" that are excluded as state-controlled facilities, having to do mainly with how they're funded; e.g., the Virginia Tourism Authority.)

Moreover, as to the specific question before the body presently, the 2013 statute quoted below governing the power of a homeowners' association to regulate home-based businesses would seem to be dispositive. (However, keep in mind that the "declaration" which is the original charter for the HOA, can be amended by a process more elaborate than rule-making, requiring the recordation of documents in the Circuit Court.)

User,

Would the same logic apply to the BB Gun preemption? Shooting BB guns in plain view of others (because the damn HOA won't let you put up a privacy fence) would really upset some of those controlling B@$+@rd$!!!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Thank you TFred for opening this thread and thank you user for offering your opinion on this issue. There is a gated development not far from where I live, that recently issued restrictions on the carrying of firearms within the community on common property. They have stated that this is only allowed when carrying arms to and from your car and on your own property. I have the article here on my desk as I write this and will reread it in the light of what has come out in this thread.

Thanks again gentlemen. This is, indeed, timely.

SouthernBoy

Leave it to Dan to find a gold coin in the change slot! :lol:

Good that he did. Now about this...

"Kinda like taking free room and board at a Nazi Concentration camp because they like the neighborhood, then kicking up a fuss because the showers don't have water."

I have to admit I laughed my butt off when I read this. Now the sensitive types are going to have a cow after their little knees stop twitching but it was funny in a macabre way.

TFred

"Kinda like taking free room and board at a Nazi Concentration camp because they like the neighborhood, then kicking up a fuss because the showers don't have water."

I have to admit I laughed my butt off when I read this. Now the sensitive types are going to have a cow after their little knees stop twitching but it was funny in a macabre way.
I see the point, and sure... but I'll reiterate my view with a bit of a history lesson:

From the woks of John Paul Strain, a famous painter of Civil War scenes, we have this guidance on the better solution:

after-storm_large.jpg

As the winter morning fog lifted on December 13, 1862, the Federal Army of the Potomac, under the command of General Ambrose Burnside, began advancing from its positions around the city of Fredericksburg toward Mayre's Heights. By the end of the day Robert E. Lee had held his ground and won his most one-sided victory of the war. General Burnside and the Federal troops abandoned the once beautiful city. A chilling rainstorm drenched the night countryside as the Federal troops retreated across the Rappahannock. [...] By the 16th, Confederate troops reoccupied Fredericksburg.

Later as Jackson and his staff rode through the city their anger was aroused by the extent of the ruthless vandalism. A staff officer commented on how thoroughly the Federals had taken the town apart and asked, "What can we do?" "Do?" replied Jackson, "Why, shoot them!"

Still have a hard time blaming the victims for the atrocities of the Nazis.... I prefer Jackson's solution - punish those actually responsible! :)

TFred

SouthernBoy

I see the point, and sure... but I'll reiterate my view with a bit of a history lesson:

From the woks of John Paul Strain, a famous painter of Civil War scenes, we have this guidance on the better solution:

Still have a hard time blaming the victims for the atrocities of the Nazis.... I prefer Jackson's solution - punish those actually responsible! :)

TFred

Hope you saw my reaction to Peter's humor as what it was. I don't adhere to PC as a rule.

As for blaming the victims of the Nazis, there is a little blame to be shared by them. That of not responding to what was obvious in the earlier rise to power of that regime. That and not paying attention to the banterings of a hateful mind outlined in "Mein Kampf" and that mind then gaining power to the point of carrying out his hate. Unfortunately, this is not unique to European Jews but more a part of the human condition. "If we just ignore it or go along with it, all will be well". That has been proven time and time again not to work.

I, too, prefer Jackson's solution since it stabs at the heart of the problem. The victims of the Nazis pogroms were in such disarray by the time the German killing machines were raping them and their lands that resistance was near impossible. But it can be said, and in my mind is true, that it is better to die fighting on your feet than submitting to a bullet on your knees [all metaphoric, of course]. The Jews of Warsaw and the Ukraine did manage to give the Nazis a bit of hell so a measure of resistance can be and is a positive thing... even when there is so little hope of prevailing.

My hat's off to all of those victims, fighters or not, who lived and died during the war in Europe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Yeah, it probably wasn't in the best taste. The point was that many of us continue to go into things we know may backfire, then cry about it. HOA's are famous for being overbearing and unreasonable. I'd never consider buying somewhere that had one.

There are still a lot of sour grapes about the CHP privacy changes. Instead of lobbying for a law that would make it illegal to publish lists, they carved a chunk out of the open government laws many of us worked hard to get.

scouser

where I live we have a pond. At various times during the year the pond attracts geese. The geese like to wander the streets near the pond. Some years ago a suggestion was made that we should have a fence built around the pond to keep the geese from wandering onto the streets and depositing their droppings on the sidewalks.
The idea of a fence was shelved when I asked exactly how high the fence was going to be, because every goose I'd ever seen could FLY

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

There are still a lot of sour grapes about the CHP privacy changes. Instead of lobbying for a law that would make it illegal to publish lists, they carved a chunk out of the open government laws many of us worked hard to get.
Sour grapes - that's just a nasty ol' rumor :lol:

Yep - CHP list is private.........except when it ain't.

Too if you look back a bit, the list is still publicly available as it was deemed to difficult to totally protect the information.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
where I live we have a pond. At various times during the year the pond attracts geese. The geese like to wander the streets near the pond. Some years ago a suggestion was made that we should have a fence built around the pond to keep the geese from wandering onto the streets and depositing their droppings on the sidewalks.
The idea of a fence was shelved when I asked exactly how high the fence was going to be, because every goose I'd ever seen could FLY

Clearly the solution is to post a GFZ (Goose Free Zone):

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Keep honking until they open the gate.
images

Consider migratory game bird laws and various wetlands acts before you tamper with natural habitate.

Last edited:

Repeater

Ask Joni Miller

30+ years ago, the 1st place we looked in Chesterfield was Brandermill. I commented that the home had no gutters. The agent said the HOA didn't allow it. I said it was time to go. He couldn't understand I had no intention to allow some group of Fascist idiots tell me what I can and can't do in or to my home.

He attempted to say it maintained property values. I agreed. They had NO VALUE to me and never would.

I've know how tyrannical Brandermill despots can be. The most recent example this year features Joni Miller, who has a small daycare that she runs out of her home. I have no opinion either way on that; rather I'm posting here because the BofS came to her rescue. The RTD has an article that includes quotes from the HOA President:

Supervisors approve Brandermill home day care center
Chesterfield County supervisors on Wednesday unanimously approved a conditional-use permit for a Brandermill home day care at the center of a heated debate over what is allowed in the planned community.

The homeowner, Joni Roberts, has run a state-licensed home day care business in Brandermill for 17 years.

But new rules for maintaining a state license require Roberts to show that her home is zoned properly for her business.

“I believe in all my heart” that the right thing is keeping the center open, Roberts told supervisors Wednesday night, adding later that, “This really is an issue about the welfare of children.”

Now, here comes the Brandermill Board President:
Roberts told supervisors she has a petition supporting her business with more than 200 signatures, including those of immediate neighbors.

But Brandermill’s board president, Joan O’Hanley, asked supervisors to deny the application.

“Brandermill’s recorded, deeded covenants” do not allow Roberts’ type of business, she said.

Chesterfield records show 360 businesses registered at 306 residential addresses in Brandermill, but it’s tough to tell which of those are purely computer-based and which involve customers visiting the homes.

Brandermill’s covenants say homes must be used exclusively for residential purposes, with a clause saying home offices that do not generate traffic will be allowed.

The community association in the past has promoted at least one home business, advertising its services in fliers stuffed in mailboxes and inviting the owner to speak at a seminar.

This says it all:
“It’s unfortunate that the leaders of Brandermill would come forward and speak against me,” Roberts said.

Turning to O’Hanley, she said, “You represent me.”

The county’s supervisors disagreed with O’Hanley.

535876f0435d3.preview-300.jpg

[size=+2]Joni Miller - Winner![/size]

zoom6zoom

I'd much rather live next to a home FFL than a home daycare center.
The firearms are generally quite quiet and well behaved, and customers are coming by generally only by appointment to pick things up, rather than hordes of parents descending two to four times a day clogging up the street.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I'd much rather live next to a home FFL than a home daycare center.
The firearms are generally quite quiet and well behaved, and customers are coming by generally only by appointment to pick things up, rather than hordes of parents descending two to four times a day clogging up the street.

I'd rather live next to a guy who gives me free money all day long.

Gallowmere

I've know how tyrannical Brandermill despots can be. The most recent example this year features Joni Miller, who has a small daycare that she runs out of her home. I have no opinion either way on that; rather I'm posting here because the BofS came to her rescue.

They don't have any choice but to be tyrannical in Brandermill. How else are they going to keep their property values from sinking just as fast as the houses themselves in that swamp? ;)