Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Sad to say I have a liberal sister:( but my kids love guns!

  1. #1
    Regular Member Craftymommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    172

    Sad to say I have a liberal sister:( but my kids love guns!

    I found out on Easter that my sister is a liberal. Only a year ago she said she wanted to go shooting and buy a gun, now she thinks anyone who owns a gun should be shot on sight:/ She also believes we should be fined for not having insurance( she is mooching off my parents insurance because she is just about to be 22 and she pays nothing except her co-pay and she doesn't talk to them at all and unfortunately for them, they cannot cancel her coverage). I carried like always when I go out, especially because it was only me and my boys. She never said anything about it. Her and her boyfriend started discussing things and I asked if she even noticed I was carrying, supposedly she did. Then from there found out someone tried to break into her apartment a while back, took Henderson PD 5 minutes to get there. That is 5 minutes too long IMO. And she has even been raped before and still the most she does is carry pepper spray.... I unloaded my gun, and made it safe for her to hold and she cringed away from me and refused to even look at it. So I loaded back up and put it back in my holster. We left about 5 minutes after that, I was done arguing and too pissed to want to deal with her. I met my husband and his dad and brothers to go shooting. I blew up a watermelon with a shotgun, yep that made me feel better *video on our facebook page*

    My 3 year old on the other hand knows to not touch. Tell mommy or daddy, and ask if he can touch. When he is allowed to he knows he only points at the ground, sky or papers(target), all his version of safe direction, and to not put his finger on the trigger until he is ready to shoot(which he does with either myself or my husband right next to him). My son is not afraid of a gun yet my almost 22 year old sister who was all for it a year ago is scared. I don't understand.

    Heh my 3yo loves shooting and always asks to go. Too bad 22s are so hard to find or we would probably go every weekend. We got a handgun and a rifle for him to shoot and he LOVES the rifle. And always asks to put the "mazagine" in whichever gun he happens to want to shoot. Doesn't quite get loading the magazine yet but he is only 3 never too early to start, my 1.5 year old says gun though sounds like "nuh" and he is learning to not touch and we let him explore the guns when they are safe to handle and unloaded, he is also learning when he is holding it to keep it pointed in a safe direction.

    I wish I knew what caused my sister to change her mind...

  2. #2
    Regular Member Jeannette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    102
    I'm sorry that you and your sister are having this disconnect. I have a sister in law who is afraid of guns. She doesn't like her son to play Call of Duty and keep his air soft gun in their house. I haven't been with her while I carry so it will be interesting to see what happens and hopefully I can educate her on firearms and she will feel more comfortable. Most of my family doesn't know that I am began to Open Carry but they do know that I have a gun.
    I hope that you and your sister can move past this.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Give her a gun for Christmas. I did that to one of my anti-relatives.

    This relative changed minds and now shoots all the time.

    Some antis think that YOU should not have a gun, not that they cannot.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Jeannette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Give her a gun for Christmas. I did that to one of my anti-relatives.

    This relative changed minds and now shoots all the time.

    Some antis think that YOU should not have a gun, not that they cannot.
    I don't really know if she's anti-gun or just scared and uneducated about them or just like most hear the stories of how "Bad People" have used guns. Maybe buying her a gun would just overwhelm her. Maybe I'll start small and let her HOLD mine. Baby steps!

  5. #5
    Regular Member Craftymommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    172
    What I can't get past is the fact she was wanting a gun a year ago and now has turned into this liberal Obama supporting. No one in my family is like that:/ she has so many issues and has caused so many problems in our family though that it isn't worth trying. She has been arrested, did drugs(possibly does still with how her mood flips around from one time we see her to the next), lying, list goes on. It just isn't good for my kids to be around.

    The family I talk to(my parents, maternal grandparents, the rest has too many issues and causes drama that I don't care to associate with) they are all for supporting our rights and know my husband and I OC and are teaching our oldest to shoot and are all for it.

    Oh well how it goes I guess, family may be blood but don't need them around when they cause problems in my life for no reason

  6. #6
    Regular Member Craftymommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette View Post
    I don't really know if she's anti-gun or just scared and uneducated about them or just like most hear the stories of how "Bad People" have used guns. Maybe buying her a gun would just overwhelm her. Maybe I'll start small and let her HOLD mine. Baby steps!
    I tried to get her to hold mine, unloaded, chamber cleared, all that, and she wouldn't even look at it My son on the other hand as soon as I took out the magazine, was asking to hold it

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Is she hanging out with a new crowd, or could it be the boyfriend influencing her? Or maybe she just wants to be the polar opposite of your family as a subconscious rebellion?

    I have sort of the opposite problem with my sister, in a way. She constantly sends me "funny" pictures and sayings, like "I have pms and a gun; what did you say again?" *eyeroll*

    Or extra girly things like "guns and glitter!" (Nothing wrong with that, just the exact opposite of me and my mindset.) To me, it's a weapon, not an accessory or topic to casually joke about.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Craftymommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Is she hanging out with a new crowd, or could it be the boyfriend influencing her? Or maybe she just wants to be the polar opposite of your family as a subconscious rebellion?

    I have sort of the opposite problem with my sister, in a way. She constantly sends me "funny" pictures and sayings, like "I have pms and a gun; what did you say again?" *eyeroll*

    Or extra girly things like "guns and glitter!" (Nothing wrong with that, just the exact opposite of me and my mindset.) To me, it's a weapon, not an accessory or topic to casually joke about.
    I want to do pink glitter on my husband's AK

    Boyfriend has been around over a year. As for her friends, from what I have learned most are bad influences(drugs, stealing, trouble makers). So I really don't know. She has had issues for the past 3-4 years now as it is but to just change from pro to anti is surprising. Especially because she has not had any encounters to my knowledge to make her that way. Heck she was the one who told husband and I where a gun store was on out first trip here before we moved!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    It is weird to have such an about face so quickly, but she may just be regurgitating others opinions in her own voice. Either way, I hope she pulls away from her current lifestyle, and it sounds like you are making the best choice for your kids, even if it is hard.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftymommy View Post
    Too bad 22s are so hard to find or we would probably go every weekend.
    Sorry. There are important hoardes which need enlargement. The future and enjoyment of the RKBA be damned! Because, Obama is about to ban ammo, and derp.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Craftymommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    172
    It is what it is. My kids come first over anyone now:-)

    Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftymommy View Post
    I found out on Easter that my sister is a liberal. Only a year ago she said she wanted to go shooting and buy a gun, now she thinks anyone who owns a gun should be shot on sight:/ She also believes we should be fined for not having insurance( she is mooching off my parents insurance because she is just about to be 22 and she pays nothing except her co-pay and she doesn't talk to them at all and unfortunately for them, they cannot cancel her coverage). I carried like always when I go out, especially because it was only me and my boys. She never said anything about it. Her and her boyfriend started discussing things and I asked if she even noticed I was carrying, supposedly she did. Then from there found out someone tried to break into her apartment a while back, took Henderson PD 5 minutes to get there. That is 5 minutes too long IMO. And she has even been raped before and still the most she does is carry pepper spray.... I unloaded my gun, and made it safe for her to hold and she cringed away from me and refused to even look at it. So I loaded back up and put it back in my holster. We left about 5 minutes after that, I was done arguing and too pissed to want to deal with her. I met my husband and his dad and brothers to go shooting. I blew up a watermelon with a shotgun, yep that made me feel better *video on our facebook page*
    SNIP...
    I wish I knew what caused my sister to change her mind...
    Consider the part I bolded: If her assailant carried a gun, it could be that she simply associates guns with her rapist/rapists in general. That or projection of some violent urges she may have. She may just need to talk about it: WHAT about guns makes her afraid? WHY would a person be different if she later found out they owned a gun? etc.

    IANAP (I AM Not A Psychiatrist)

    Quote Originally Posted by Craftymommy View Post
    My 3 year old on the other hand knows to not touch. Tell mommy or daddy, and ask if he can touch. When he is allowed to he knows he only points at the ground, sky or papers(target), all his version of safe direction, and to not put his finger on the trigger until he is ready to shoot(which he does with either myself or my husband right next to him). My son is not afraid of a gun yet my almost 22 year old sister who was all for it a year ago is scared. I don't understand.

    Heh my 3yo loves shooting and always asks to go. Too bad 22s are so hard to find or we would probably go every weekend. We got a handgun and a rifle for him to shoot and he LOVES the rifle. And always asks to put the "mazagine" in whichever gun he happens to want to shoot. Doesn't quite get loading the magazine yet but he is only 3 never too early to start, my 1.5 year old says gun though sounds like "nuh" and he is learning to not touch and we let him explore the guns when they are safe to handle and unloaded, he is also learning when he is holding it to keep it pointed in a safe direction.
    The parts I bolded are music, and they give me a little more hope. Well done to both you and yours.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-23-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: "/" for the quote bubble to work
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  13. #13
    Regular Member Craftymommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    172
    It happened while she was in high school, giving a classmate a ride home after practice. To my knowledge he had no weapons but she is a really skinny girl so any guy over 150lbs can easily over power her. I didn't get all the details as I wasn't living at home when it happened. All the same doesn't explain her about face from last year to now lol!

    As for my kids, we are absolutely teaching them. I looked into Eddie eagle but decided that I would rather teach them safety in a way that works best for our family. We may not shoot every day but it is often enough and the kids just about always come with us so we feel it is just best to teach not touch but also to not point at people either when we do allow them. My older son asks before touching, my younger one isn't much of a talker but we allow him opportunities to handle firearms so he is used to it and doesn't touch if we happen to leave a firearm out after OC during errands or after a shooting trip. We don't make a habit of that but in the midst of putting things away it has happened. Older son came running to tell us to put it away, without touching of course So we are not conventional but it has worked for us.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pointy end and slightly to the left
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftymommy View Post
    It happened while she was in high school, giving a classmate a ride home after practice. To my knowledge he had no weapons but she is a really skinny girl so any guy over 150lbs can easily over power her. I didn't get all the details as I wasn't living at home when it happened. All the same doesn't explain her about face from last year to now lol!

    As for my kids, we are absolutely teaching them. I looked into Eddie eagle but decided that I would rather teach them safety in a way that works best for our family. We may not shoot every day but it is often enough and the kids just about always come with us so we feel it is just best to teach not touch but also to not point at people either when we do allow them. My older son asks before touching, my younger one isn't much of a talker but we allow him opportunities to handle firearms so he is used to it and doesn't touch if we happen to leave a firearm out after OC during errands or after a shooting trip. We don't make a habit of that but in the midst of putting things away it has happened. Older son came running to tell us to put it away, without touching of course So we are not conventional but it has worked for us.
    It is great you are teaching your young ones about firearms. I saw a special on TV not that long ago where they test kids that had done the Eddie Eagle program and other do not touch training. They were put in a room that had real of course non-working guns in and among the toys. The little ones would sing the Eddie Eagle song do not touch tell an adult while they were picking up the gun and messing with it. Of the older kids 10-12 year olds a few did do what they were trained however the kids curiosity is so powerful almost all of the little ones after the training picked up the gun and so did many of the older ones.
    Part of the test was to go to the parent’s house and they asked the little one where were the guns kept. Some parent said I have it hidden. They asked the 4 year old child do you know where mommy keeps her gun and to parents surprise he takes them into mommy daddy’s bedroom and says it is up there on the shelve in the closet. Mommy and Daddy were shocked.
    I too raised a child around guns however was very surprised to see how strong kid’s curiosity was. I too kept a gun hidden for home quick access. I believe I was very lucky my son’s curiosity was hopefully held back by training. Conclusions and only in my opinion, teach them however always locked them up. Get one of those quick access-locking systems for the home defense gun.
    Training and hiding may help however, unfortunately there is a good chance it will not be enough for many smart very curious sons and daughters.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Craftymommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    It is great you are teaching your young ones about firearms. **cut***
    Training and hiding may help however, unfortunately there is a good chance it will not be enough for many smart very curious sons and daughters.
    My boys get into every thing. My oldest knows where our guns are, I just asked him Way out if reach for him(just about out of reach for me too) but better to just teach safe handling because I know it is inevitable. We take every precaution to not just leave firearms out, but both have the knowledge to leave it in the instance we do. we don't have toy guns for them to play with like a lot of kids seem to have. Well we bought a toy rifle and toy revolver but they stay in their own case and my older son knows to ask permission before he can get them out he even has a holster and loves walking around with his toy gun in the holster like daddy. He has asked to go out with it but so far it has not been allowed just because we are not ready for people to ask why he is carrying even though it is a bright orange toy gun!
    Last edited by Craftymommy; 04-24-2014 at 01:28 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member 2AFriendly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    80
    Totally agree with an earlier poster... hooray for teaching your kids the safe direction rule!
    Unfriendly | Neutral | Friendly | OC Friendly

    Rate the places you carry according to their 2A friendliness. Online or with free apps for iPhone and Android.

    Proud sponsor of OpenCarry.org

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sparks, NV, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    471
    Give the sister some time. My wife was a bleeding heart liberal when I was dating her at that age. As she grew up, she's more like me now. She still has no interest in shooting them or getting into them as a hobby, but she insists I carry for our family's safety and she's not above picking one up if SHTF and I wasn't around.

    I got in trouble once about two years ago with her. We were meeting some friends in Cali on a camping trip, and I decided hauling around my CA approved camping 12ga wasn't worth the hassle. We ended up about 20 miles back on a dirt road that suddenly dead ended and she asked, "You've got a gun, right?" Told her no and caught all kinds of hell with a "Don't leave home without one ever again" being the moral of the story. I learned my lesson

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pointy end and slightly to the left
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftymommy View Post
    My boys get into every thing. My oldest knows where our guns are, I just asked him Way out if reach for him(just about out of reach for me too) but better to just teach safe handling because I know it is inevitable. We take every precaution to not just leave firearms out, but both have the knowledge to leave it in the instance we do. we don't have toy guns for them to play with like a lot of kids seem to have. Well we bought a toy rifle and toy revolver but they stay in their own case and my older son knows to ask permission before he can get them out he even has a holster and loves walking around with his toy gun in the holster like daddy. He has asked to go out with it but so far it has not been allowed just because we are not ready for people to ask why he is carrying even though it is a bright orange toy gun!
    I believe you and your husband has this issue dialed in well. I say good job. When my son was old enough to hold and shoot we would review the dos and don'ts however being a kid myself just a few years ago I know curiosity was strong at that age. To help curb the curiosity urge I told him anytime, I did not care what time it was, if he wanted to check out any of our firearms I would unlock the cabinet and we would check and make them safe and he could hold ask questions beak them down and answer questions. If asked I would make an effort to go shooting if he wanted. Knowing all he had to do was ask anytime he never did. I believe part of the curiosity urge comes from having a locked box of secrets (guns) followed by a strong talking of don't you ever touch it. My son knew what was in the locked box (cabinet) and any time he wanted he could ask to open it. That and I guess our shooting and hunting outings was enough. I guess there is a chance he was just good kid me and his mom are taking credit. Either way he now is 33 raising and training his own kids.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftymommy View Post
    My boys get into every thing. My oldest knows where our guns are, I just asked him Way out if reach for him(just about out of reach for me too) but better to just teach safe handling because I know it is inevitable. We take every precaution to not just leave firearms out, but both have the knowledge to leave it in the instance we do. we don't have toy guns for them to play with like a lot of kids seem to have. Well we bought a toy rifle and toy revolver but they stay in their own case and my older son knows to ask permission before he can get them out he even has a holster and loves walking around with his toy gun in the holster like daddy. He has asked to go out with it but so far it has not been allowed just because we are not ready for people to ask why he is carrying even though it is a bright orange toy gun!
    That's because you practice REAL gun safety with children, none of the head-in-dirt approaches the antis promote.
    Love to hear about the little one OCing.


    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    Give the sister some time. My wife was a bleeding heart liberal when I was dating her at that age. As she grew up, she's more like me now. She still has no interest in shooting them or getting into them as a hobby, but she insists I carry for our family's safety and she's not above picking one up if SHTF and I wasn't around.

    I got in trouble once about two years ago with her. We were meeting some friends in Cali on a camping trip, and I decided hauling around my CA approved camping 12ga wasn't worth the hassle. We ended up about 20 miles back on a dirt road that suddenly dead ended and she asked' "You've got a gun, right?" Told her no and caught all kinds of hell with a "Don't leave home without one ever again" being the moral of the story. I learned my lesson
    Huh.
    You catch all kinds of flak for NOT carrying. Sound like you definitely made the right choice. She's a keeper.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-24-2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Smileys
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  20. #20
    Regular Member Craftymommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    172
    We try to go shooting but the gun the kiddo likes is a 22lr rifle and he blows throw ammo like water.haha! Rules are reviewed constantly around here, he doesn't always ask to see the guns but more often than not we comply and let him. I will take gun smarts over "dont touch" any day. He knows to not touch when we are out carrying too, heck he hardly pays attention to our guns/holsters lol!

    Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Regular Member Craftymommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    Give the sister some time.
    Ha. She is so messed up I would not trust her with a gun anyway. The fact she did an about face from wanting to and now completely against it, I am not going to bother to change her mind.

    Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    83
    Your oldest likes to carry? That would've been an AWESOME picture with all of us that day at Stripburger. 4 out of 6 adults, and one of two children carrying. hehehe.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    It is great you are teaching your young ones about firearms. I saw a special on TV not that long ago where they test kids that had done the Eddie Eagle program and other do not touch training. They were put in a room that had real of course non-working guns in and among the toys. The little ones would sing the Eddie Eagle song do not touch tell an adult while they were picking up the gun and messing with it. Of the older kids 10-12 year olds a few did do what they were trained however the kids curiosity is so powerful almost all of the little ones after the training picked up the gun and so did many of the older ones.
    Part of the test was to go to the parent’s house and they asked the little one where were the guns kept. Some parent said I have it hidden. They asked the 4 year old child do you know where mommy keeps her gun and to parents surprise he takes them into mommy daddy’s bedroom and says it is up there on the shelve in the closet. Mommy and Daddy were shocked.
    I too raised a child around guns however was very surprised to see how strong kid’s curiosity was. I too kept a gun hidden for home quick access. I believe I was very lucky my son’s curiosity was hopefully held back by training. Conclusions and only in my opinion, teach them however always locked them up. Get one of those quick access-locking systems for the home defense gun.
    Training and hiding may help however, unfortunately there is a good chance it will not be enough for many smart very curious sons and daughters.
    Well said. +1

    A kid is a kid and will always resort to touching and doing things they aren't "supposed" to. You teach a kid not to touch hot things, not to slap other kids, not to break, throw, punch, scream, etc. They never learn anything the first time or even the hundredth time depending the age.

    Difference with guns is it only takes one time for them to "forget" or just be a kid around a gun and then someone is dead. There is no "I told you not to shoot your brother in the face with the guns I "forgot" around the house! Go to your room!". Even "hiding them out of reach" isn't possible. How many times have kids climbed counters to get cookies? Climbed couches to play? Etc. Etc.

    There's a reason they make quick access safes and gun locks. Its not to keep burglars from your guns (a dedicated burglar can break, pick, steal, defeat just about any locking device) its to keep your kids from killing each other by accident.

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •