• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sad to say I have a liberal sister:( but my kids love guns!

Craftymommy

Give the sister some time.

Ha. She is so messed up I would not trust her with a gun anyway. The fact she did an about face from wanting to and now completely against it, I am not going to bother to change her mind.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

Steve Larson

Your oldest likes to carry? That would've been an AWESOME picture with all of us that day at Stripburger. 4 out of 6 adults, and one of two children carrying. hehehe.

Primus

It is great you are teaching your young ones about firearms. I saw a special on TV not that long ago where they test kids that had done the Eddie Eagle program and other do not touch training. They were put in a room that had real of course non-working guns in and among the toys. The little ones would sing the Eddie Eagle song do not touch tell an adult while they were picking up the gun and messing with it. Of the older kids 10-12 year olds a few did do what they were trained however the kids curiosity is so powerful almost all of the little ones after the training picked up the gun and so did many of the older ones.
Part of the test was to go to the parent’s house and they asked the little one where were the guns kept. Some parent said I have it hidden. They asked the 4 year old child do you know where mommy keeps her gun and to parents surprise he takes them into mommy daddy’s bedroom and says it is up there on the shelve in the closet. Mommy and Daddy were shocked.
I too raised a child around guns however was very surprised to see how strong kid’s curiosity was. I too kept a gun hidden for home quick access. I believe I was very lucky my son’s curiosity was hopefully held back by training. Conclusions and only in my opinion, teach them however always locked them up. Get one of those quick access-locking systems for the home defense gun.
Training and hiding may help however, unfortunately there is a good chance it will not be enough for many smart very curious sons and daughters.

Well said. +1

A kid is a kid and will always resort to touching and doing things they aren't "supposed" to. You teach a kid not to touch hot things, not to slap other kids, not to break, throw, punch, scream, etc. They never learn anything the first time or even the hundredth time depending the age.

Difference with guns is it only takes one time for them to "forget" or just be a kid around a gun and then someone is dead. There is no "I told you not to shoot your brother in the face with the guns I "forgot" around the house! Go to your room!". Even "hiding them out of reach" isn't possible. How many times have kids climbed counters to get cookies? Climbed couches to play? Etc. Etc.

There's a reason they make quick access safes and gun locks. Its not to keep burglars from your guns (a dedicated burglar can break, pick, steal, defeat just about any locking device) its to keep your kids from killing each other by accident.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk