• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Round in the chamber?

DrumGuru

Hey folks. I am brand new to this forum, and I am really glad I ran across it. I have wanted to start OCing for a while and there is a lot of great information in this forum. I have been debating on CCW but I really am not interested in adding my name to that government watch list.

I do have one question that I have not seen asked here, I admit I didn't dig too deep, about OC in North Carolina, particularly the Greensboro area. When OCing in NC are you allowed to have a round in the chamber. I have seen a ton of videos regarding this topic and it always seems as if LEO's will check to make sure a round is not chambered. Can anyone tell me if this is allowed or not? I never keep a round in the chamber when the gun is in my home, just in case someone was to somehow grab the weapon that shouldn't, (ie. child), but I have never seen a law or ordinance pertaining to OC.

Also, does anyone from Greensboro area know of any places that should be avoided while OCing, minus the obvious govn't buildings and public parks? Maybe places you have had a problem with in the past?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I would be very surprised if North Carolina did not allow your sidearm to be carried in full battery. I would suggest you pose your questions and concerns in the North Carolina forum where your fellow residents may be better able to help you with your questions.

And welcome aboard from your sister Southern state; the Commonwealth of Virginia. Happy to have you with us.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-a-loaded-magazine-while-open-carrying-in-NC

Your question is answered here. As you are new, you may not have noticed the "search" option at the top of your screen. Welcome to OCDO.

I never keep a round in the chamber when the gun is in my home, just in case someone was to somehow grab the weapon that shouldn't, (ie. child), but I have never seen a law or ordinance pertaining to OC.

On this part (underlined), I have a bit of difficulty. You do know that all home invasions happen in the home, eh? I would recommend, and your mileage may vary, keeping your weapon in the holster and on your hip. It will not get lost, nobody will "play" with it, and it will be available when you most need it.

Again Welcome to OCDO

stealthyeliminator

Welcome.

I agree about keeping on your hip, even in the home. Two reasons come to mind. First, if there are people that could potentially find it and pick it up to play with, keeping it on your hip will prevent that. Secondly, if you don't keep it on your hip, and don't necessarily keep it in the same place all of the time, I fear in an emergency one could temporarily lose track of where it is at the moment. If it's always on your hip, it's always on your hip. If it's sometimes on the nightstand, sometimes on the desk, once or twice left on top of the fridge, maybe in the sock drawer, and then you hear a window break, where is it now, and can you get to it in time? Not saying to live in constant paranoia mode, just, I haven't found it much of a bother to keep in on in the house and in my [strike]opinion[/strike] situation the pros outweigh any cons.

Not that you came here to talk about that specifically ;) Just had to throw in my .02

Last edited:

GHF

Round in the Pipe

I keep a round in the chamber at all times - except when cleaning/oiling.

I have two adults in my household with me - my wife and my 41 year old son who has a FCLW from Florida.

I have the safety ON when out of the holster, and OFF while in the holster - just as if it was a revolver.

IF I had children around, I would come up with a protocol for that situation.

Kopis

I never keep a round in the chamber when the gun is in my home, just in case someone was to somehow grab the weapon that shouldn't, (ie. child)

I understand your initial thought about your child so why not carry it with you at all times? if you store it in the bedroom let's say, what will you do if a criminal breaks in the bedroom while youre watching TV? Plus as others have said, keeping it on your person keeps anyone else from potentially handling it.

Gallowmere

I understand your initial thought about your child so why not carry it with you at all times? if you store it in the bedroom let's say, what will you do if a criminal breaks in the bedroom while youre watching TV? Plus as others have said, keeping it on your person keeps anyone else from potentially handling it.

Pretty much this. The only time mine isn't in a holster on my side, is when I am sleeping or showering, and in those cases, it's within arm's reach.

SFCRetired

I keep a round in the chamber at all times - except when cleaning/oiling.

I have two adults in my household with me - my wife and my 41 year old son who has a FCLW from Florida.

I have the safety ON when out of the holster, and OFF while in the holster - just as if it was a revolver.

IF I had children around, I would come up with a protocol for that situation.

The only thing I have a problem with there is having the safety OFF when in the holster. I carry a clone of a Combat Commander (SA Champion) and the safety stays ON at all times. I practice using my thumb to take the weapon off safety while drawing. Naturally, the weapon is always carried with a round in the chamber, the hammer cocked (safety won't go on unless it is), and the safety on.

Notice that I said "I" have a problem with it. If it works for you, then it's good. It just wouldn't work for me; I'd be uncomfortable.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Kind of an old subject, but simple answer--YES. I have other things I can use as a paper weight. I must admit that when I first started carrying I didn't have one in the chamber. I've become more comfortable, and knowledgeable about my guns so I do carry with one in the chamber now. At home I admit that my gun is not chambered. Why? I installed Armor Concepts door jamb kit on my door. By the time if someone were to get through my door (metal, with wood core) I would have time to call 911, lock & load, and brew a cup of coffee. My kids are 16 & 19, so I want them to have access to a gun if I'm not home. They know if someone can get through our front door, that they have evil intentions that require serious retaliation. Contrary to what the anti-gun people say, guns don't jump out of your holster and spray people on full auto. So go ahead, and load up.

My usual carry: 1911 in Blackhawk CQC level II holster with safety on. (Easy enough to take off safety while drawing from holster)

Last edited: