• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

moving to montana

trick996

going to be living in missoula, what are my options to carry until i have been in state for 6 months??

MontanaResident

going to be living in missoula, what are my options to carry until i have been in state for 6 months??

Open carry, till you are here 180 days (6 months) then you can apply for a CCW.

https://doj.mt.gov/enforcement/concealed-weapons/

FWIW, I open and conceal carry everywhere but Missoula. I can't explain it but the city feels so NY/Calif to me. Missoula is not Montana. My observations are thru my dog, and the more openly your dog can be a free-spirit happy-go-lucky live-for-the-moment creature of god, the more relaxed people are about you exercising your 2nd Amendment rights. If one person complains about your dog, you can bet most are uptight about carry a pistol.

MontanaCZ

Do you have a carry permit from a State that Montana recognizes? Yes, it is legal to conceal in Montana with an out of state permit and being a resident of Montana. Permits to carry are also for while you are certain areas, such as in town. Go to one of the excellent legal sites and read up, you are going to need it.

OTOH, you can OC without any permit, and OC has less restrictions that CC does.

DCR

Missoula has leaned left for decades

My father attended Montana State (Bozeman) in the 60's, and tells me that even then it (Missoula) was more of the "hippie" mindset than anywhere else in the state. Protesters were being dragged off the basketball courts and football fields back then, and it even happens occasionally today. What else would you expect of a town with a "bare as you dare" greenbelt ride? Be advised that the area around campus and downtown will have heightened scrutiny of any weapons carrier just because LE is aggressive, being used to easy targets like college students. There is, though, a great gun show at the fieldhouse late summer/early fall, and LE is really good about it, because it's just good people getting together to share their enthusiasm for firearms and related accessories & activities.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

My father attended Montana State (Bozeman) in the 60's, and tells me that even then it was more of the "hippie" mindset than anywhere else in the state. Protesters were being dragged off the basketball courts and football fields back then, and it even happens occasionally today. What else would you expect of a town with a "bare as you dare" greenbelt ride? Be advised that the area around campus and downtown will have heightened scrutiny of any weapons carrier just because LE is aggressive, being used to easy targets like college students. There is, though, a great gun show at the fieldhouse late summer/early fall, and LE is really good about it, because it's just good people getting together to share their enthusiasm for firearms and related accessories & activities.

I've open carried all throughout downtown missoula, last year a friend and I both while open carrying met at a park on the Clark fork near orange street with no issues, walked up to a restaurant (Mckenzie river pizza?) in downtown. No problems with LE or anyone else.

stealth71

I currently live in Missoula, and have lived here most of my life. There is a university here, so yeah, you've got the liberal segment of the population who feel they know better than you when it comes to guns. However, this is still a city that recreates, hunts and in general enjoys the great outdoors to the fullest, so I don't think you're going to run into too many people who will view you as an outsider when it comes to a sidearm. Missoula has lots of great gun shops. We have everything from Sportsman's Warehouse to Cabela's, as well as local shops like Bob Wards, Axmen South, and Accuarms. Chris at Accuarms just set me up with a new HK P30 the other day. Great guy to work with. There are also several gun ranges around here. One of the best is the Deer Creek Shooting Center just east of the city. As far as carry, a lot of us here have the Utah CCW permit. If you happen to have one as well, that's another option.

trick996

I currently live in Missoula, and have lived here most of my life. There is a university here, so yeah, you've got the liberal segment of the population who feel they know better than you when it comes to guns. However, this is still a city that recreates, hunts and in general enjoys the great outdoors to the fullest, so I don't think you're going to run into too many people who will view you as an outsider when it comes to a sidearm. Missoula has lots of great gun shops. We have everything from Sportsman's Warehouse to Cabela's, as well as local shops like Bob Wards, Axmen South, and Accuarms. Chris at Accuarms just set me up with a new HK P30 the other day. Great guy to work with. There are also several gun ranges around here. One of the best is the Deer Creek Shooting Center just east of the city. As far as carry, a lot of us here have the Utah CCW permit. If you happen to have one as well, that's another option.

I walk my dogs a lot and I just want to be able to OC when I'm walking down the street (downtown) or on the river trail...