• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

4th Amendment, Shot Dead By SCOTUS

countryclubjoe

This decision is horrible..

911 operators will now be in demand.... Every Tom, Dick, and disgruntled employee or neighbor etc will be placing 911 calls...

A sad day in America.

My .02

CCJ

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

This decision will have a huge impact on OC citizens...
Think of it, some idiot sees a citizen open carrying then they observe the the law abiding citizen enter a vehicle, they take down vehicle number and give a description of the citizen and vehicle they call 911 to report a suspicious person carrying a gun hence law abiding citizen is hassled by leo's via a vehicle stop. This ruling is ulgy..

My .02

CCJ

22Luke36

Oh, sorta like when the K9 Cop taps the side of the car, the dog jumps up scratching the paint, and of course, "alerts" on that spot?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh, sweet and fuzzy $diety on a pogo stick!

the case considered a 2008 California incident in which an anonymous 911 caller told the police that a pickup truck had forced her off the road, providing the location, as well as details such as the truck’s make, model, and license plate number. Police soon stopped a vehicle matching the description and reported smelling the odor of marijuana as they approached driver Jose Prado Navarette.

In other words, the tip had what SCOTUS calls "sufficient indica" of the who, what, where, and when so that the cops do not rush out looking for every blue pickup truck so they can [strike]shoot it up[/strike] stop and search it just for giggles.

I am going to ignore the "odor of marijuana" issue - it needs its own symposium in order to be hashed out.

Getting back on track - SCOTUS has always held that tips need to be considered based on points of reliability. One of their favorites was the track record of the tipster. The only thing the case seems to do is say that based on a whole lot of other specific information the identity and track record of the tipster need not be absolute controlling considerations.

You guys owe me three aspirins and the five minutes of my life I had to expend due to your "The Sky Is Falling!!111Eleventy!!" hysteria.

stay safe.

22Luke36

I am going to ignore the "odor of marijuana" issue - it needs its own symposium in order to be hashed out.

Getting back on track

The whole MJ thing IS the issue. The prohibition is the worst thing to happen t your fourth amendment.

One day a cop told me he was going to search because he "smelled marijuana". I denied the search with the response, "It's been 3 years since I smoked, you aren't searching anything". He left.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
This decision will have a huge impact on OC citizens...
Think of it, some idiot sees a citizen open carrying then they observe the the law abiding citizen enter a vehicle, they take down vehicle number and give a description of the citizen and vehicle they call 911 to report a suspicious person carrying a gun hence law abiding citizen is hassled by leo's via a vehicle stop. This ruling is ulgy..

My .02

CCJ
That sort of happened to me. Although, without the traffic stop. Instead, an officer came to my home and inquired after my vehicle. (It was registered in my wife's name, so my DL info, hence my CPL info was not readily available to Law enforcement.) My wife told the officer that yes, I usually drive the car, not her. He went on to say someone saw me OCing in Leslie, and also saw me get into the car. Before he went any further, my wife told him that I have a CPL. That's when the officer stopped and said, Oh. Ok, he's good to go then. And that, was that.